North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Off-Topic :: Autos (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/off-topic-autos-59/)
-   -   MY car, HER/HIS Car or OUR car? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/off-topic-autos/82890-my-car-her-his-car-or-our-car.html)

chows4us 10-27-2006 04:50 PM

MY car, HER/HIS Car or OUR car?

I really don't care what car make we are talking about but what do people really do about car ownership?

Is it MY car? or is it OUR CAR?

Spouse or SO, makes no difference if your a couple ...

Are you so sensitive that its MINE ... don't touch it? or
Are your possesions ... ours?

I ask because while reading some car forums, ppl can get really touchy about this subject.

BTW, my answer is it's ours (actually hers) because I really don't own anything:lol::lol::lol::wink:

Mini Mizer 10-27-2006 05:17 PM

whom ever is making the payments.

if you both put $$$ towards it, it is both.

Or...who ever picks it out???

reguardless of ownership i believe your partner (or you) should be able to enjoy it just as much.

Although i am paying for my MINI by myself i would let my "better half" drive it anytime she wishes. :thumbsup:

of course...unless i want to drive it at the same time she does!!!! RAWR! i didnt think about that!!! :eek::mad::impatient

just kidding. :razz:

mjgmcs1 10-27-2006 05:26 PM

Both of our vehicles are considered 'ours'. It's just that each of us drives the same car all the time. Right now, I drive the MINI and sometimes the minivan, my wife exclusively drives the minivan. She still considers the MINI mine even though I don't claim sole ownership/driver of it and calls it 'your car'.

This will all change as soon as she re-learns to drive a stick and we will be racing to the car keys in the morning.

istara 10-27-2006 05:28 PM

I've been in a non-serious relationship for about a year now.. so considering the "non-serious" part, it's definitely "my car" and "his car," though more commonly it's: "the MINI and the Beast" (Subaru wagon).

That said, I trust him completely and I'll let him drive or borrow the MINI whenever he needs or wants to. He would do the same for me, but I'll admit that motoring is just more fun :wink:

CDMINI 10-27-2006 05:45 PM

Fla. is a community property state, it doesn't matter what I may "call" it or what the title reads , it's all OURS as any family law judge sees it....

kenchan 10-27-2006 07:49 PM

all 3 of them are mine.

except for the 4th... the civic...it's American Honda's property.
I just rent it. :razz:

naruto16 10-27-2006 10:13 PM

My gf doesn't have a driver license~ problem solved!

Ladidah 10-28-2006 07:14 AM

By the who is paying for it definition - his. By the who drives it definition - mine. So overall - ours.

psb 10-28-2006 07:25 AM

who ever makes the payments is a pretty easy answer and the one i subscribe to also. I am not that possesive or mine mine mine, but i maintain it, wash it etc.....

Greg S 10-28-2006 07:51 AM

I'd have to go with ours, though to the kids, the MINI is the wife's and the Accord is mine. I do all the maintanence and washing of the cars, but she cleans the house so I'm fine with that. As for paying, it all comes out of one bank account. We actually trade off driving to keep the mileage pretty even between both cars.

chows4us 10-28-2006 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Greg S (Post 1199433)
As for paying, it all comes out of one bank account.

Now thats a good point

When someone says it depends upon who's paying for it ...

WTH does that mean. Aren't you BOTH paying for it or (assuming your married) do you really consider MY money Mine and HER money hers?:confused: What about our money is ours is that not true?

Ladidah 10-28-2006 09:45 AM

In my case, I'm not working (full-time student) so it is really his money. We're not married, no.

mjgmcs1 10-28-2006 09:45 AM

Actually, when we got married, it became "our debt".

chows4us 10-28-2006 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by mjgmcs1 (Post 1199558)
Actually, when we got married, it became "our debt".

Or ... "our black hole" :lol::eek:

Crashton 10-28-2006 10:34 AM

Ours

All of our cars are our cars.

eVal 10-28-2006 10:52 AM

As soon as we got married "ours" - although we both had lapses with the M Coupe since I had bought that some time prior to the nuptials.

royal4mac 10-28-2006 11:00 AM

Odd Thread, but I'll play

She makes the payments, but I supplied the down payment. She wanted CR, I wanted BRG. She wanted a convert, I wanted a hardtop.

OK, we got a CR/W hardtop. It is HER car, because she drives it everyday, BUT she lets me drive it whenever I want, even on long weekends when she has to work and I can go play.

So it's her car, but she must love me because I can take the MINI when I want to.:lol:

No, we're not married.

erickvonzipper 10-28-2006 01:15 PM

They're all under my name for registration and insurance ease, but my car is my car and her car is her car.

Mineon 10-28-2006 02:27 PM

Our family car, a Ford Freestyle is registered in my wife's name, but the Mini, Miata, and Mustang are registered in my name. My wife drives the Mini more than I do as it is her daily driver year round while I drive the Miata to work in the summer most nights and the Mini in the winter (we work opposite shifts). My wife is welcome to drive any of the cars and she knows it, but she is paranoid about something happening to any of them while she is driving, so she usually sticks to the Mini and the Freestyle.

-Keith

Jtrem 10-28-2006 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by naruto16 (Post 1199235)
My gf doesn't have a driver license~ problem solved!

haha thats one way to solve it!

rosarugosa 10-28-2006 02:59 PM

of course all our cars are ours, either can drive any car.
To be honest, tho, he knows how I feel about that unsullied carpet and pristine leather and still new-car-smell, so for now he feels more comfortable scattering crumbs about in our decrepit Honda.
Must be that look in my eyes, I don't say anything other that "gee, you should really take MINI to work today!"
very sincerely, really!

SashaSolitaire 10-29-2006 01:57 PM

Technically..

it's my car, since it is registered and insured in my name, but it is actually HER car. She wanted the MINI, selected the color, customized it and placed the order. I just drive it once a while!!:sad:

But for all practical purposes, it's OUR car!

o4amini 10-29-2006 04:17 PM

The MINI is my daily driver. I work to pay for it. It's in my name. But we both enjoy it together:razz:

gokartride 10-29-2006 04:25 PM

No SO here so things are pretty simple.:)

indygomini 10-31-2006 08:53 PM

'05 F150: she calls him Pepper, but I call him Honey's Truck (very red, except she likes to play in the mud with him and gets mad when I wash him- says he doesn't look like a "real truck" if he's too clean. I sometimes sneak out and wash him anyway, and get in trouble for it. :razz:

'03 mini- she has referred to him alternately as "your car," "the car of smallness," or "the other woman :sly:," depending on the circumstances.

Both names on the titles for both- we share our toys, but it works out that our innate preferences keep us from racing each other to the door with keys in hand. Is this one of the "dimensions of compatibility" that dating web sites talk up? :)

Another way of looking at it- even if anyone was to assert that the mini is "mine," I'm "hers," so it sort of follows that the mini conveys as part of the package.

:cool: