Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

guys i hope you guys are nicer than the rx8club

Old 04-29-2005, 08:44 AM
eclps0
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guys i hope you guys are nicer than the rx8club

I just got flamed for wanting to trade in my car.

here is the link

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.ph...6&page=1&pp=15

Old 04-29-2005, 08:46 AM
eclps0
1st Gear
I have had alot problems with my tranny( rebuilt) clutch gone bad after 8,000 miles which was defective. Ac blows hot hair ect

Old 04-29-2005, 08:49 AM
vagt6
2nd Gear
That's one gorgeous car. I'll bet it's not easy to walk away from.

good luck selling!

Old 04-29-2005, 09:18 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I do agree with the other posters on one thing...why a 20 year old student that is griping about having to afford gas every week, needs any new car is beyond me.

Old 04-29-2005, 09:26 AM
morknmini
6th Gear
Thanks for the link. From spending time (lots) on NAM I have learned that there's a wide range of MINI owners who participate in web forums. Most seem even handed and open minded or know enough of the world to be tactful or humorous while in disagreement. A few lack such facilities. So flamethrowers exist on NAM as well.

I am a fan of Mazda because it seems to be an enthusiast's car company--one that is not afraid to go a different route, which is contrary to the way of Japan and big business in general the world over. At one time the rotary engine was the GREAT (but strange) idea for automobiles--compact and with fewer parts, but able to deliver the power. Mazda has almost perfected it but for the fuel economy. If fossil fuels were abundant the rotary would probably be powering the Miata too.

I believe most buyers of the Mazda 8 are afficionados (who else would buy a rotary anything with suicide doors and 4 bucket seats--it's exotic enough to be a Bristol) and those who lurk on its website are even more committed. So when you trashed the car as you did, without the sugar coating, it must have shocked them. Never stir up the hive without first donning protective headdress.

Nice color (both the Mazda and MINI).

Old 04-29-2005, 09:41 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
I had to walk away from that Mazda thread before I signed myself up just to defend the MINI. The guy who said you will be going from 4 doors to 2 doors and lose trunk space and the one who challenged the MINIs safetly need to be educated. I can handle people who just plain hate the MINI. Thats fine. Its their own perogative. It frustrates me when people just make stuff up for the sake of bashing it.

My mom has, and loves, an RX-8. My parents also have a Cooper. She drives it, but when she went back to the RX-8, she realized it was really the car for her. Both excellent cars... just different strokes for different folks.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:01 AM
morknmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ImaVunDerBrah

My mom has, and loves, an RX-8. My parents also have a Cooper. She drives it, but when she went back to the RX-8, she realized it was really the car for her. Both excellent cars... just different strokes for different folks.
Whoa. Is that why your mom doesn't post much on NAM? I remember when she posted about her MINI. Fascinating having both mother and daughter on one forum. The RX8 is a completely different car--as individualistic as the MINI but in an opposite direction. Neat. She had not mentioned her RX8--funny how some people list all their cars and others just keep them in the background. Variety on NAM. Thanks for elucidatin'.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:07 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by morknmini
Whoa. Is that why your mom doesn't post much on NAM? I remember when she posted about her MINI. Fascinating having both mother and daughter on one forum. The RX8 is a completely different car--as individualistic as the MINI but in an opposite direction. Neat. She had not mentioned her RX8--funny how some people list all their cars and others just keep them in the background. Variety on NAM. Thanks for elucidatin'.
They still have and love the Cooper. My dad usually ends up stealing it in the morning though! I think NAM is just too big. If she had MINI questions, she'd just ask me. But, she posts on my local club forum and they're both coming along to the Dragon. Its nice to have parents you get along with.

Old 04-29-2005, 12:02 PM
eclps0
1st Gear
this board is so much better people wise. I have not seen any flaming or anything in that nature.

I left that forum about 2 months ago because of all the bitching nad flaming towards others. The people there complain and flame when anyone does something they dont like.
Dont get me wrong i love the car but to me the price of maintence, the problems, and teh gas does not justify keeping it. I think alot of teh owners so disapointed that its nothing like the rx7 or upset over the gas prices.

When i first bought the car i was paying 1.40 for high grade now i am paying 2.60.

I hope you dont think i am crazy but after driving the mini its so much more exciting and a thrill to drive than the rx8.

Old 04-29-2005, 12:04 PM
eclps0
1st Gear
Originally Posted by morknmini
Thanks for the link. From spending time (lots) on NAM I have learned that there's a wide range of MINI owners who participate in web forums. Most seem even handed and open minded or know enough of the world to be tactful or humorous while in disagreement. A few lack such facilities. So flamethrowers exist on NAM as well.

I am a fan of Mazda because it seems to be an enthusiast's car company--one that is not afraid to go a different route, which is contrary to the way of Japan and big business in general the world over. At one time the rotary engine was the GREAT (but strange) idea for automobiles--compact and with fewer parts, but able to deliver the power. Mazda has almost perfected it but for the fuel economy. If fossil fuels were abundant the rotary would probably be powering the Miata too.

I believe most buyers of the Mazda 8 are afficionados (who else would buy a rotary anything with suicide doors and 4 bucket seats--it's exotic enough to be a Bristol) and those who lurk on its website are even more committed. So when you trashed the car as you did, without the sugar coating, it must have shocked them. Never stir up the hive without first donning protective headdress.

Nice color (both the Mazda and MINI).
Mazda is great teh rx8 is great but its to underpowered and i want to know where all teh damm gas goes it sure and hell does not go to the hp number

Old 04-29-2005, 12:11 PM
bmovierat
4th Gear
Some people are just jerks, but a few of those "jerks" had good points. It might not make fiscal sense to go from a gas-guzzling sports car to a slightly less gas-guzzling sporty car. You might be trading one set of problems for another.

Your choice though. Good luck either way. And if you decide to go with MINI, welcome to the club.

Old 04-29-2005, 12:12 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
eclips0, there are occasional flamefests on NAM, but we Moderators pay close attention and moderate/edit/delete, as necessary. Everyone who becomes a member of NAM agrees to abide by the Site Guidelines.

Sorry about your issues with your RX8...great-looking and performing car, from what little I know of it. Welcome to the MINI 'hood! When do you take delivery of your MINI?

Clover

Old 04-29-2005, 02:35 PM
indimini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by eclps0
I hope you dont think i am crazy but after driving the mini its so much more exciting and a thrill to drive than the rx8.
I doubt you'll get many arguments on that point here. When I decided to trade my 02 MC in, the two cars I considered were the RX-8 and a MCSC. For me, the convertible beats the heck out of the RX-8 for pure motoring enjoyment. The RX-8 was fun to test drive but I couldn't imagine giving up the MINI way of life.

Old 04-29-2005, 04:09 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most of us don't bite - LOL!! Glad to have you aboard.

We ALMOST bought an RX-8 until we started the big search through the forums and saw things we didn't quite think we would be happy with - like the issue you've had with yours and the gas mileage (not exactly what is advertised). Can't wait to hear what the specs are on your new motoring machine...

Donna
02' CR/W MCS (gone to MINI heaven - burned up)
05' Cool Blue MCSC "Ariel"
05' HB/W MCS on it's way - no name yet

Old 04-29-2005, 08:16 PM
Turbogeo
3rd Gear
We extend a warm MINI welcome. If you buy a MINI and post that you want to sell it you will your in trouble .

Old 04-29-2005, 08:35 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
as another 20 year old.. i can tell you that youth discrimination is not new.... no matter where, somebody will always ask the question 'did mommy and daddy pay for your car' and stuff... is it their business? no! not every young kid with a 20 grand sports car is a total jerk! typical teenage stereotypes.. but then again im overthinking.. nam has been a very welcoming enviroment for both young and old.. and it seems the one place that is free of bickering over every detail, free of slamming each other, we all just seems to be one big happy family! i love this about nam, and mini2.. and just about every other mini site.. whether you are 16 or 60.... ur still welcomed with open arms!

im suprised at the knowledge and the general egotism in that forum... people think there's no aftermarket for the mini, people think we get rock chips (we do, but so what! it's part of car ownership), people complain that resale is terrible (then what, all of those guys will keep their car forever so they dont lose any resale? let's see what happens when they sell their rx8 and find rock bottom trade in value!)

also one last thing.. why does people always equate size with bad crash safety? is it cuze of the hyundai accent that caused all these problems? my argument is.. what if you can avoid the crash in the first place... why would you need crash safety if you can avoid the crash and just save yourself the repair bill!

also, have them take a look at scca autocrosses, let's see how many stock cooper and cooper S are on the top of their class (esp the cooper!)

Old 04-29-2005, 09:21 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
20 grand sports car?

Old 04-30-2005, 07:24 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
20 grand sports car?
hey hey im in canada, should've said 30 grand for cooper s... and 38 for a rx8... was tryin to remember us pricing but keep forgetting

Old 04-30-2005, 07:55 AM
eclps0
1st Gear
Thankyou so much guys. I love the rx8 but comming home from a friends house with some fun driving it dropped 3 liitle notches. Then i saw that and the smile went away real quick.

I need to find a mini dealer that would let me have soem real fun, the lady that i went with for the test drive said not to go over 5,000 i live in plantation Fl if anyone know a good dealer for test drives and buying

Old 04-30-2005, 08:53 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
I think that many MINI owners (...even the most die-hard enthusiasts) given the comparatively modest sticker price of MINIs, its cheeky good looks, and fun-loving vibe, may exhibit somewhat less attitude than you often find among other performance car owners. I mean, c'mon...it's a freakin' MINI!!!! Regardless of how potently they may have been tuned, MINIs are essentially about fun motoring...it's something of a legacy, you see.

Most of us have also been well-trained in the whole "Let's put a way the middle finger" thing, as well.
Welcome!!!

Old 04-30-2005, 09:44 AM
lotsie
Banned
Well there was OT-PoliticsSorry I mean OT-Baseball,but it's gone now.

When you have a MINI,you have the best thing going to put smile on your face should something upset you.Just go MINI motoring

Old 04-30-2005, 09:47 AM
LeftyS7
4th Gear
Why should you care what a bunch of complete strangers in cyberspace think?

Old 04-30-2005, 09:51 AM
eclps0
1st Gear
well the thing is i was there when it was first built up so i felt like i was apart of a group for so long then they stab me in the back

Old 04-30-2005, 09:57 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eclps0
well the thing is i was there when it was first built up so i felt like i was apart of a group for so long then they stab me in the back
:smile: Understood, eclps0! Say, when you get your MINI, you can PM DiD and change your username to lose the Eclipse-related name!

Just a suggestion....

Clover

Old 04-30-2005, 10:07 AM
eclps0
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
:smile: Understood, eclps0! Say, when you get your MINI, you can PM DiD and change your username to lose the Eclipse-related name!

Just a suggestion....

Clover
LOL will do. Man i really like it here you guys are very nice

Quick Reply: guys i hope you guys are nicer than the rx8club