Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

R53 JCW to Fiesta ST? Who has made the switch?

Old 04-30-2019, 11:42 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
R53 JCW to Fiesta ST? Who has made the switch?

Alright gang, I'm considering swapping to a gently used Fiesta ST. I've driven them several times over the past few years and always thought it would be a fun drive and easy transition, all while gaining a bit more space. Now, the question is: Who here has made the switch, and what are your impressions, regrets, likes, dislikes, etc? Please don't give opinions as a bystander. I'm trying to keep this is on-topic as possible.

My concerns are many, but here's the gist: In stock form, the R53 JCW is the better driver's car. Independent rear suspension, a real LSD, minimal overhang, lower C.O.G, etc. Now add my modifications, and the gap is widened further. That said, the R53 can be tiresome to drive, even as a city commuter. It's a rattle-box, it's stiff, low, loud, etc. I have to be honest here, I'm thinking that if I sell the MINI and get into something newer I'll miss the authenticity of the driving experience. This is what prompted me to buy another one after selling my old slick-top LSD R53 for a BMW 128i M-Sport.

Just to give a little background on car ownership, I've owned and tinkered on 3 SR20DE(T) powered cars, 2 RX7's, WRX Wagon, fully-built Mazdaspeed Protege, 2 R53's, 300hp MR2 Turbo, turbocharged Miata, BMW 128i, the list goes on.

What are your thoughts?

Old 04-30-2019, 01:15 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigChill
Alright gang, I'm considering swapping to a gently used Fiesta ST. I've driven them several times over the past few years and always thought it would be a fun drive and easy transition, all while gaining a bit more space. Now, the question is: Who here has made the switch, and what are your impressions, regrets, likes, dislikes, etc? Please don't give opinions as a bystander. I'm trying to keep this is on-topic as possible.

My concerns are many, but here's the gist: In stock form, the R53 JCW is the better driver's car. Independent rear suspension, a real LSD, minimal overhang, lower C.O.G, etc. Now add my modifications, and the gap is widened further. That said, the R53 can be tiresome to drive, even as a city commuter. It's a rattle-box, it's stiff, low, loud, etc. I have to be honest here, I'm thinking that if I sell the MINI and get into something newer I'll miss the authenticity of the driving experience. This is what prompted me to buy another one after selling my old slick-top LSD R53 for a BMW 128i M-Sport.

Just to give a little background on car ownership, I've owned and tinkered on 3 SR20DE(T) powered cars, 2 RX7's, WRX Wagon, fully-built Mazdaspeed Protege, 2 R53's, 300hp MR2 Turbo, turbocharged Miata, BMW 128i, the list goes on.

What are your thoughts?
I went back home(NYC) last week and I could not imagine driving my R53 there on a daily basis.... Good luck with which ever way you go...

Old 04-30-2019, 02:04 PM
co0p3r
4th Gear
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Not a bystander but not directly related (but close). I bought my son a 2018 Focus ST and it is a very fun and powerful car, BUT even he says it (when he drive one of my MINIs) nothing drives like a MINI.

I think if you keep the MINI and get the ST you will be happy I think if you give up the MINI and go to the ST you will not be.

Side note the ST has complete bolt-ons (Exhaust, Intake, Downpipe etc and a COBB custom tune).

Old 05-01-2019, 08:45 AM
R534life
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Fiesta ST and Focus ST are totally different Vehicles. I did the Arrive and drive thing a number of years ago when both came out and they let us Hoon in a parking lot in both for this little Cone track they setup. The Fiesta is a much more mini like car. It's also pretty quick with a ton of bottom end go. The Focus Drives a lot bigger and heavier. I'm trying to remember which was faster around the cones, But IIRC it was the Focus but just by a very tiny bit.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:56 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Old 05-15-2019, 12:24 PM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
I don't fit in the Fiesta ST... to small. Loads of room in my R53s.

Motor On!

EDIT: I just noticed that is the Hersey Parking Lot ... in the video.

Last edited by JABowders; 05-16-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:15 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
We've actually had several customers switch to the ST as it is a manual and makes good power. We even started selling parts and have done some mods for those previous customers as they can be made better too.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/focus-st/

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 05-24-2019, 11:45 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
I've owned several R53's and have seat time in the FiST. Was just wondering if anyone had firsthand experience switching from one to the other.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:06 PM
Onimun
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I figure its time for me to chime in here. I had a 2015 FIST which I quickly did the stage 3 tune on. The car was a monster and would keep up with Caymans and cars way outside its price range in the twisties.

Here's my owner review, make sure you go to the end because I talk about it after returning the lease. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...sta_ST_30000_m

I recently picked up a really clean and sorted 2006 R53 with 104,000 miles and I would say they are very different cars.

Let me know if you have specific questions about the car.

Old 05-27-2019, 02:39 PM
masternut
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a 17 FIST. The seats are uncomfortable. Handling is awesome. Power is meh. Minis have soul. Buy all seasons for a better ride in the Mini

Old 05-29-2019, 08:58 AM
Onimun
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by masternut
I had a 17 FIST. The seats are uncomfortable. Handling is awesome. Power is meh. Minis have soul. Buy all seasons for a better ride in the Mini
Well the thread is about going from a R53 to a FIST and I'd argue the FIST would smear an R53 in the power department.

Even with a stage 1 cobb tune the FIST would easily keep pace with BRZ's.

I agree about the soul though.