Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Anyone here drive the new focus rs?

Old 09-16-2018, 02:45 PM
Alexandru Doncea
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone here drive the new focus rs?

Hey there everyone!! I'm planning to order a starlight blue jcw to replace my focus st that I've had for 4 years now, and ford is trying to obviously stay with them and get an rs. How does the jcw compare? I'm sure it definitely is slower, but with for example a dinan elite tune, would it at least keep up? And of course, the mini has a significantly better interior

Old 09-16-2018, 06:15 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
I'd drive both and compare for yourself as we've actually had several customers get the RS and it is fast. We even started offering parts for the RS because of them.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-16-2018, 08:14 PM
MiniTony2
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We have an '18 Focus RS and a '16 JCW.

The RS is faster but I dont know by how much (I have the Byteteonik tune on the JCW and that's it, and the RS is bone stock).

The JCW with a tune is pretty crazy in terms of handling because you do get some torque steer and can leave tracks in second and chirp in third, which for such a small car is a ton of fun. It's like you're on the edge of being out of control.

I like the 'feel' of the JCW better but I like that the RS is a more unique car in that enthusiasts all know what it is. I get a lot more looks and questions and thumbs ups in the RS than the JCW.

in terms of handling I'm going to say it's a wash. The RS handles shockingly well for a Ford, amd the Mini still feels like a 275HP go-kart.

Honestly, I'm glad we have both because choosing one or the other would be very difficult.

Let me know what other questions you have, if any.

The following users liked this post:
Evlkarl (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 09:23 PM
Alexandru Doncea
1st Gear
Thank you so much for this detailed response!! How is your focus rs interior holding up? My st fell apart interiorwise and I'm curious if you see any of those issues, also, amazing color on the jcw is that lapisluxury blue? I'm excited to drive both!!!

Old 09-16-2018, 09:24 PM
Alexandru Doncea
1st Gear
Also, I never realized how similar the front ends are of both cars!!

Old 09-16-2018, 10:13 PM
Lionel Hutz
1st Gear
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Had a Golf R, so somewhat similar to the RS. The JCW feels much slower out of the hole due to poor traction--the AWD hot hatches can launch hard. With a Dinan Elite tune, I'd say the rolling acceleration is somewhere between the stock R and the R with a tune box on it. The JCW is much more rewarding to drive and feels more special. Almost everybody is going to see it and think its "just" a Mini Cooper--that could be good or bad depending on how you want to be perceived. The JCW has some torque steer, but it's less than what you're used to dealing with in the ST.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:18 PM
Alexandru Doncea
1st Gear
That's awesome to hear!! I dont usually accelerate too often from a dig, as I live in the straight roads of Florida where everything is a highway, so knowing it's faster than a stock golf r or rs on a roll with dinan is very enticing I dont mind torquesteer if it isnt as absolutely terrible as my focus st where the entire car sways from left to right hahahah what made you switch from the golf r?

Old 09-17-2018, 04:06 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
According to Autoblog base price is 41,120 19/26 MPG

Old 09-17-2018, 07:48 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Yeah, I looked at it last night out of curiosity. The 41K base price is a little misleading though. The base trim includes just about every option and package including heated leather Ricaro seats, all wheel drive, and NAV. I was surprised at the list of included options. Take all that and throw in 350hp and 350trq and it’s an attractive package. Only downside I saw was the choice of colors... red or blue.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:24 PM
PoonRacing
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
if want fast get RS, for go-kart handling JCW, or go slow get r50...LoL. my r53 out turn my RS anytime of the day but straight line fast is RS. both car are FBO and tuned, RS on E30 tuned, r53 got full suspension setup coilover.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:04 PM
MiniTony2
1st Gear
We had a 16 ST, then a 17 RS and now the 18 RS, because my wife likes shiny new things. We had zero problems with the interiors on any of them, though we did have to have the A pillar replaced on the 17 because it was loose and rattled. I actually like the interior of the Ford - they've stepped up their game for sure.

One thing the wife and I were talking about was the ride. The JCW rides way more smooth. She had back surgery a month ago and cant yet ride in the RS so I'm karting her around in the Mini lately.

Other than the Bytetronik tune we dont plan on doing much to either car. We have motorcycles for going stupid fast.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:15 PM
Alexandru Doncea
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PoonRacing
if want fast get RS, for go-kart handling JCW, or go slow get r50...LoL. my r53 out turn my RS anytime of the day but straight line fast is RS. both car are FBO and tuned, RS on E30 tuned, r53 got full suspension setup coilover.

absolutely beautiful cars!! Thank you for your advice

Old 09-17-2018, 10:15 PM
Alexandru Doncea
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniTony2
We had a 16 ST, then a 17 RS and now the 18 RS, because my wife likes shiny new things. We had zero problems with the interiors on any of them, though we did have to have the A pillar replaced on the 17 because it was loose and rattled. I actually like the interior of the Ford - they've stepped up their game for sure.

One thing the wife and I were talking about was the ride. The JCW rides way more smooth. She had back surgery a month ago and cant yet ride in the RS so I'm karting her around in the Mini lately.

Other than the Bytetronik tune we dont plan on doing much to either car. We have motorcycles for going stupid fast.
how do you feel the rs compares to the bytronic jcw?

Old 09-19-2018, 01:18 PM
MiniTony2
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Alexandru Doncea
how do you feel the rs compares to the bytronic jcw?
I know it's faster, the RS that is, but not by much. The power band is different. The JCW seems to pull harder in 2nd and 3rd but at the low end whereas the RS seems to have a more even band.

The RS launches like a mule who just got kicked, and first gear in the JCW is a bit of a dog but that may just be because I'm used to that AWD launch.

Honestly it may come down to the driver in term if who'd win races of varying distances.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:03 PM
MiniTony2
1st Gear
Also, heres my dyno graph from Bytetronik if you're interested. It's a Mustang dyno, so ...

Old 10-06-2018, 12:15 PM
Sokol
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have few RS's for sale...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16327800737...84.m1555.l2649

Great cars, not as good as driving a GP but great cars, better than sti in my opinion.