Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Forgive me forum for I have sinned

Old 08-06-2018, 08:30 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Forgive me forum for I have sinned

I heard that my brother was considering buying a MINI Cooper and I called him and talked him out of it.

He is looking for a fairly unique and efficient car for him to commute. He defined what he is looking for as “Artsy”.

With all of the customization available and the limited number of MINIs on the road, MINI would sound like an ideal option.

The real background:

He drives 50,000 miles a year and puts 300,000 to 500,000 miles on a vehicle. His driving is entirely highway. He does not care about cars or driving and sees driving as a necessary chore. I believe he drives the speed limit on the highways to maximize fuel economy. I doubt he has ever taken the long way for the heck of it. His mechanic is not close to home or work and does not specialize in MINIs. His current vehicle is a diesel Jetta that has been constant problems for the past 300,000 miles or so. His commute is between Florida and Georgia so All Wheel Drive is not necessary.

I asked him what else he was looking at and he said also liked the Subaru Crosstrek.

His priorities are:

· High fuel economy
· Reliability
· Safety on long highway drives
· Sufficient for a one person commute
· Unique and Artsy
· Enough room for a larger guy who is often on the road for 5 hours at a time.

I have never had an interest in SUVs of any kind so I don’t know what is out there in the Small SUV which I suspect may be a good option. (Honda HR-V, Mazda CX-3, Toyota C-HR, Fiat 500L…)

· What are your thoughts?
· Do I get kicked out of the forum for my sin?
· Am I off base with my opinion of MINI not being the car for him?
· What else would you recommend?

I appreciate your thoughts, recommendations and feedback.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:48 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
I commuted in an r56 for a couple years, my kidneys hated it and the clutch went out at less than 120k miles, I do not recommend them for long distance daily

The following users liked this post:
miniCPA (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 09:13 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Yes, MINI would be an unwise choice for his scenario. Probably best bet would be a Honda. Lots of folks would also say Toyota, but I've personally had bad luck with them.

Sin, no, MINI lovers don't want to see them in the wrong hands. LOL

miniCPA (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 09:23 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
For your penance my son, say 200 Hail MINIs and 2 Our John Coopers.

The following 6 users liked this post by Whine not Walnuts:
bluonyx (03-20-2019), bratling (08-06-2018), FlyByMike (08-06-2018), MCS02 (08-07-2018), Rich Rodichok (08-06-2018), vetsvette (08-07-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-06-2018, 11:31 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
That is worse than I thought. Hail in a MINI convertible would be hell.

The following 2 users liked this post by miniCPA:
bratling (08-06-2018), Dan_in_WA (02-18-2021)
Old 08-06-2018, 11:42 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Seems like a Civic or Jetta is the ticket on this one. Crosstrek really isnt a bad choice either.

Artsy...I wonder what the Renegade gets in terms of fuel economy? Its basically a Fiat, so hard to say how reliable it would be in the end....

There is nothing better than sitting up high on freeway drives. The trucks dont bother you as much....others can see you, and more importantly....you can see them!

Old 08-06-2018, 12:27 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
All for the best as you probably saved your Brother from a lot of headaches down the road, the forum from a bunch posts of how the MINI is always breaking down and expensive to repair while his other car never needed anything in over 200,000 miles, and yourself from becoming his personal MINI service advisor and tech.

Sounds like your Brother is getting more interested in cars though since he wants something artsy or unique. The opinions on it’s look can be polarizing, but the Nissan Juke has a unique look to it and is a lot closer to Honda and Toyota in terms of reliability. A similar car would be the Hyundai Veloster.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:42 PM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RB-MINI
The opinions on it’s look can be polarizing, but the Nissan Juke has a unique look to it and is a lot closer to Honda and Toyota in terms of reliability. A similar car would be the Hyundai Veloster.
I think Artsy, by definition would be polarizing so I am going to give him a list of possibilities, I would have missed the Veloster and the Juke. I will check both out.

I want to help him out since he tends to buy before he puts much though into the decision. He went from a Saturn with over 450,000 miles that never broke down the Jetta that needed thousands in repairs every year starting in the beginning of the second year when the warranty ran out. Some of his cost was covered by the manufacturer beyond the warranty period like when the entire drive train needed to be replaced in the third year but still he was driving a rental car for months.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:52 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
I personally own a Toyota, and after 14 years with 400,000 miles plus ran great with just normal maintenance.
Every Nissan I drove long distances seems like the seat were concrete after 150 miles, and rode stiff.
I use to rent a lot of cars when I worked.

miniCPA (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 12:59 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Originally Posted by miniCPA
I want to help him out since he tends to buy before he puts much though into the decision. He went from a Saturn with over 450,000 miles that never broke down the Jetta that needed thousands in repairs every year starting in the beginning of the second year when the warranty ran out. Some of his cost was covered by the manufacturer beyond the warranty period like when the entire drive train needed to be replaced in the third year but still he was driving a rental car for months.
The Jetta didn’t qualify for the Dieselgate buyback?

Old 08-06-2018, 01:02 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
That, my dear MINI person, is priceless. Admin has got to create a closet for storing such powerful/empowering quotes for all to enjoy at any time. Damn! That is rich and CPA's response is equally profound.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:10 PM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RB-MINI

The Jetta didn’t qualify for the Dieselgate buyback?
I believe he will be getting some money back in the near future. He did not take the earlier offers.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:32 PM
Bnourai
5th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
best I have heard so far

Old 08-07-2018, 03:42 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Did anybody get the 200 and 2? There is normally a reason to my insanity.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:44 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Did anybody get the 200 and 2? There is normally a reason to my insanity.
Why don't you clue us in?

Old 08-07-2018, 06:01 AM
MCS02
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
He defiantly doesn't need a Mini!

Old 08-07-2018, 06:06 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Why don't you clue us in?
Well you don't have to be Catholic or I assume a member of the Church of England to get it but being English may help.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Each Friday night after work, Bubba would fire up his outdoor grill and cook a venison steak. But all of Bubba's neighbors were Catholic....and since it was Lent, they were forbidden from eating meat on Friday.

The delicious aroma from the grilled venison steaks was causing such a problem for the Catholic faithful that they finally talked to their priest.

The Priest came to visit Bubba and suggested that he become a Catholic.

After several classes and much study, Bubba attended Mass.....and as the priest sprinkled holy water over him, he said, "You were born a Baptist, and raised a Baptist, but now you are a Catholic."

Bubba's neighbors were greatly relieved, until Friday night arrived, and the wonderful aroma of grilled venison again filled the neighborhood.

The Priest was called immediately by the neighbors and as he rushed into Bubba's yard clutching a rosary preparing to scold him, he stopped and watched in amazement. There stood Bubba, clutching a small bottle of holy water which he carefully sprinkled over the grilling meat and said:

"You wuz born a deer, you wuz raised a deer, but now you is a catfish.”

Dan_in_WA (11-22-2020)
Old 03-20-2019, 06:41 AM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
Seems like a Civic or Jetta is the ticket on this one. Crosstrek really isnt a bad choice either.

Artsy...I wonder what the Renegade gets in terms of fuel economy? Its basically a Fiat, so hard to say how reliable it would be in the end....

There is nothing better than sitting up high on freeway drives. The trucks dont bother you as much....others can see you, and more importantly....you can see them!
I have no doubt I am chiming in very late but I do own a Renegade Trailhawk [9" clearance] and depending how heavy my foot is it gets between 16 [rare] and 24 mpg [average]. About 21 in the city. I find it to be very comfortable, great 4x4 with lockers and all just in case [even though electronic lockers]. I always call it the "Wrangler in disguise".

Old 03-20-2019, 06:57 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Your Renegade looks like a lot of fun. That tent looks mighty comfortable raised off the ground, however, it would be too small for me.

I realized I never posted the conclusion. As I recommend several options, he added some additional criteria. He wanted the ability to tow some equipment for his craft in the future. That narrowed the choice to the Crosstrek. The ride is a little harder than he would have liked but overall he is happy with the decision. I am concerned about the CVT transmission's long term reliability. While we have no problem with the CVT on my wife's Subaru, I am not sure how it will hold up with 4 times the mileage.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:02 AM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Your Renegade looks like a lot of fun. That tent looks mighty comfortable raised off the ground, however, it would be too small for me.

I realized I never posted the conclusion. As I recommend several options, he added some additional criteria. He wanted the ability to tow some equipment for his craft in the future. That narrowed the choice to the Crosstrek. The ride is a little harder than he would have liked but overall he is happy with the decision. I am concerned about the CVT transmission's long term reliability. While we have no problem with the CVT on my wife's Subaru, I am not sure how it will hold up with 4 times the mileage.
That cot/tent is the extra large... After 2 spine surgeries, a couple new hips I have to set up with pretty much not lifting anything as also for example my sun shower which is foot pump operated [NEMO]. It all works well... I only have about 40K on it. Will also see how long it will last!

Old 07-14-2019, 07:24 PM
R55S
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I was driving that many miles, I would probably get a Prius (plenty of taxis with that many miles in the original battery) and invest in a slick wrap. He can get real artsy with the wrap and when he’s done, it can be removed still preserving some pristine original paint for the next owner.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:54 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Originally Posted by R55S
If I was driving that many miles, I would probably get a Prius (plenty of taxis with that many miles in the original battery) and invest in a slick wrap. He can get real artsy with the wrap and when he’s done, it can be removed still preserving some pristine original paint for the next owner.
Thanks for the suggestion. The original post was a year ago. He bought a Subaru Crosstrek which now has 50,000 miles. He went with the Crosstrek due to its ability to tow a trailer he probably will never own. (I have never found brothers to be logical - he has a brother that drives a MINI, another vehicle purchase that defies logic.)

I didn't recommend the Prius based on the understanding that hybrids are intended to benefit from stop and go driving and his is exclusively highway. I would appreciate your thoughts on this point.

As for preserving the paint for the next owner - his goal is to put 500,000 miles on it. At that point paint is not a significant factor in value.