Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

What was the car you learned to drive?

Old 02-21-2019, 03:26 AM
Yjsaabman
4th Gear
Received 175 Likes on 126 Posts
I learned to drive in a 1984 Ford Tempo. It was my sister's car and she was off at her freshman year of college. My second car is what I honed my stick shift, and driving skills, in and was a 1979 Saab 900 Turbo with a 4 speed. It got a bigger exhaust, a tweaked waste gate for more boost, and I added an intercooler from an 85 model. It looked like hell (primer patches, different colored hatch and hood, etc), but it went like stink! It was also the rare 4 door hatchback that was only sold in the States for the 79 and 80 model years. Wow! Behold the power of the internet, pics of the actual car are still out there!

The following 2 users liked this post by Yjsaabman:
Oldboy Speedwell (03-30-2019), Rich Rodichok (02-21-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 05:45 AM
BumbleK8
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking 1960s-something Rambler Stationwagon

I'll never forget this car my father taught me to drive with. Three on the column and you couldn't always find that third gear! There was a hole by the brights pedal on the floor and - because I was a teenager - when I would drive barefoot I inevitably scrapped or cut my big toe on that hole. It still remains my favorite car, though and probably kick-started my love of classics.

The following users liked this post:
Rich Rodichok (02-27-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 07:42 AM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
As I was born and raised in France, it was my Father's "Fregate" !!! Sure brings back some memories... I remember him being so adamant about learning how to drive reverse well as in twisting your body and hanging your right arm over the front seat...

Rich Rodichok (03-30-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 05:50 PM
Minidogger
4th Gear
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
'66 Rambler American convertible with 3 on tree. Plus it had a radio!

Rich Rodichok (04-01-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 06:31 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts
Originally Posted by Yjsaabman
I learned to drive in a 1984 Ford Tempo. It was my sister's car and she was off at her freshman year of college. My second car is what I honed my stick shift, and driving skills, in and was a 1979 Saab 900 Turbo with a 4 speed. It got a bigger exhaust, a tweaked waste gate for more boost, and I added an intercooler from an 85 model. It looked like hell (primer patches, different colored hatch and hood, etc), but it went like stink! It was also the rare 4 door hatchback that was only sold in the States for the 79 and 80 model years. Wow! Behold the power of the internet, pics of the actual car are still out there!

Cool beans!

I got my real driving chops from Saab too --- ran one from 1991-2018 having 2 '86 900 turbos and an '88 SPG for a short while. I greatly prefer the snubnose look before the '87 facelift. They're great cars and easy to work on too. Your '79 is awesome, and yeah those 5dr. with the opera windows have always been on the rare side, plus your 4spd box was much stronger than the later 5spd which was the Achilles heel of these things. The 8v turbos can be tweaked pretty far too, like you say. Fun stuff!

Even though I had a spare gearbox, after my '86 sploded I decided not to put the spare in and got myself a sweet MINI instead and I'm extremely happy that I did.

cGQM5zo.jpg
95aeKKb.jpg
Qvszg9a.jpg

Old 03-30-2019, 06:50 PM
Yjsaabman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell

Cool beans!

I got my real driving chops from Saab too --- ran one from 1991-2018 having 2 '86 900 turbos and an '88 SPG for a short while. I greatly prefer the snubnose look before the '87 facelift. They're great cars and easy to work on too. Your '79 is awesome, and yeah those 5dr. with the opera windows have always been on the rare side, plus your 4spd box was much stronger than the later 5spd which was the Achilles heel of these things. The 8v turbos can be tweaked pretty far too, like you say. Fun stuff!

Even though I had a spare gearbox, after my '86 sploded I decided not to put the spare in and got myself a sweet MINI instead and I'm extremely happy that I did.

I'd still love to get my hands on a decent SPG. I'd better hurry up, though, the prices have been climbing on those.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:47 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
I'd still love to get my hands on a decent SPG. I'd better hurry up, though, the prices have been climbing on those.
Yep,
hard to find a well-maintained rust-free example too.

The last couple of SPG's that sold on BaT went for a little over $10,000 each.

There's currently one on auction with 3 days left:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-saab-900-spg-2/

But I still prefer no body cladding as it just looks so much cleaner to my eye,
like this one:

Sm9KD55.jpg

Old 03-31-2019, 07:25 AM
Yjsaabman
4th Gear
I think the cladding looks better with the airflow bumpers, and the facelift cars in general look better with the airflow bumpers. Also throw in a whale tail and some 16" super aero wheels to round out the look. I do have soft spot for the pre-facelift, too, as I owned three of them. (You can see the remains of my 85 900S 3 door in the background. It was a shame to scrap that shell, it was so clean!) One of the most comfortable and ergonomic cars I've ever driven. (Bah! Not the pic I wanted...whale tail and super aeros, but no airflow...)

Old 04-01-2019, 04:07 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
I think the cladding looks better with the airflow bumpers, and the facelift cars in general look better with the airflow bumpers. Also throw in a whale tail and some 16" super aero wheels to round out the look. I do have soft spot for the pre-facelift, too, as I owned three of them. (You can see the remains of my 85 900S 3 door in the background. It was a shame to scrap that shell, it was so clean!) One of the most comfortable and ergonomic cars I've ever driven. (Bah! Not the pic I wanted...whale tail and super aeros, but no airflow...)
I totally agree about the airflow bumpers.

And,
One of the most comfortable and ergonomic cars I've ever driven.
100% agree with that as well!

Such a well designed automobile all across the board. They are wonderful roadtrip machines, like the perfect highway cruiser with that robust mid-range acceleration, they just eat up the miles with ease and those excellent seats keep you pleased.

I always dug how aero-inspired and quirky they are, very thoughtfully engineered with many features which were way ahead of their time.

Took me a while to get used to a steering column ignition switch again after I had been in the old Saab for so long!

I'm still angry at GM for how they killed such a wonderful marque.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:27 AM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Actually this was the first "motorized" [if you can call it that!] vehicle I used in 1958 while being ten years old!!!

"the velosolex was introduced right after world war 2. like the italian lambrettas and vespas in the scooter world, the velosolex set the highest standard in its genre, and remained the market leader for cyclomoteurs throughout its production run. this particular one is a beautiful velosolex 1010, the same type used in mon oncle, which came out in the same year."

1958 Solex

And 60 years later... [besides a 2017 JCW and 2017 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk]

While on a 14 year Journey full time camping!

Crazy stuff!!!

Old 11-13-2023, 05:27 AM
goodmanwleticia957
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell

Cool beans!

Attachment 193049
Attachment 193050
Attachment 193051

Ah, reminiscing about the first car we learned to drive is always a trip down memory lane! While cars offer a delightful distraction from studies, the academic road has its own set of bumps. Balancing different subjects often feels like driving on a bumpy road. Thankfully, I've discovered a real game-changer in Edubirdie's accounting homework help service. Tackling accounting subjects was a challenge, but this service https://edubirdie.com/accounting-homework-help significantly boosted my grades and comprehension. It's about finding the right tools to navigate the tough spots, much like choosing the right car for the road conditions. How did you cope with the bumps in your academic journey? Any specific areas where extra support or tools made a notable difference for you?
Saabs are legendary—such unique and reliable rides! The quirks and features of those cars always made them a standout, didn't they? Your '79 and the 8v turbos—classic gems. The MINI's a cool choice too, with its own distinctive charm. Bet it's a whole new world of fun driving! Always fascinating how our journeys with cars shape our preferences.

Last edited by goodmanwleticia957; 11-13-2023 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:52 PM
badaniel8
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Learning to drive in a Toyota Corolla was an unforgettable experience for me. Not only did this car provide comfort and safety, but it also instilled confidence behind the wheel. Every trip became a lesson, and every stop was a new challenge that I embraced with enthusiasm and determination. Seeing the news that the Toyota Corolla is among the top 10 most popular cars in the world on The Ukrainian Review website filled me with pride for my first car. This confirmation of its reliability and popularity is truly heartening. Moreover, it proves that my choice was thoughtful and well-founded. But beyond the technical specifications, the Toyota Corolla means more to me. This car witnessed my first steps into the world of driving, my joys, and my worries. It became a part of my story, and I will always cherish memories of it with warmth and gratitude. Now, seeing it in the list of the world's best cars, I can't help but feel proud of myself and my first faithful companion on the road.

Last edited by badaniel8; 03-28-2024 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:04 AM
maccoder
3rd Gear
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
My farther-in-law taught me to row gears on his Volga GAZ-24 back in Ukraine. Not his actual car, just found the image online that looks exactly the same:

Old 03-17-2024, 03:40 AM
renors
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich Rodichok

Installing wheel lights for truck can add a touch of style and visibility, especially at night. However, it's crucial to consider legality and safety. The lights must comply with local regulations and not distract other drivers. Additionally, ensure the installation is sturdy and resistant to road conditions. While it may be visually appealing, some may consider wheel lights as a visual distraction. Ultimately, installing wheel lights can be a fun addition to the truck, but it's important to balance style with safety and adherence to laws.
'76 International Scout Traveller.

Not a pic of our actual car but same color and messed up front quarter.
Dad bought this new in '76. This thing was a tank and could go just about anywhere. Hated it when I was 16 and took my test in it in '87. But I really came to love it. It could take me and about 10 of my closest friends lots of places. Wish I still had it.
Driving an old Ford truck is like stepping back in time. There’s a certain charm to the rumble of the engine and the simplicity of the design that modern trucks just can’t match. It’s not just about getting from point A to B; it’s about enjoying the journey. Adding follow wheel lights can enhance the experience, giving it a modern twist. They not only look cool but also improve visibility. It’s the perfect blend of classic and contemporary, making every night drive an event to remember. Old Ford trucks aren’t just vehicles; they’re moving stories with character.

Last edited by renors; 03-22-2024 at 08:16 AM.