Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Go Kart

Old 02-24-2017, 07:20 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Go Kart

That's a go kart! MINI has got loads of people thinking they are driving one of these. Strip off the body, get tiny wheels, cut the car size down and then maybe you can convince me of the go kart nonsense.

Love my MINI cars, just never felt anything like the ride of the kart.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:36 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
I had a go-kart when I was a kid. It was a 5HP Briggs and Stratton on a low-slung frame. Not made for grass or dirt, but used in the back 40 of my property back then in 1982 or so. We made a track of sorts, and me and my cousins had a BLAST every weekend. Nothing like being 2 inches off of the ground and hauling ***. Many years later, I had a 79 MG Midget. A bit more power, same feel. Fun ride! Even with the crazy repairs and maintenance needed to keep her functional, still a very fun ride. Lucas electrics, the inventors of darkness. LOL. My 2011 MCS is NOT like either of those rides, but still a BLAST to drive, and brings me back to those memories in many ways. Yes, I still crave an R53, supercharged, with a 6-speed manual, but those are hard to find in good condition anymore. I am doing the best I can to bring back those memories until I find that R53, and have the funds. But that go-kart feel? I still have it, this time with a full body, some creature comforts, and airbags in case I get too crazy. I suppose I am not doing so bad in trying to re-create my childhood. Motoring On.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:06 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
My NA Miata handled significantly better than my Mini, the Mini does not feel like a kart. It is heavy, unbalanced, understeers, and is slow to turn.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:02 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
I've always been a small car fan - starting with the original Vw Bug. I also like the current (prefer Gen 1) and original Mini's, though as time goes on, they keep getting bigger. I also like the current and original Fiat 500's, but they also keep getting bigger. The current Fiat 500 feels like a modernized bug, with all the modern accoutrements.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:54 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
That's a go kart! MINI has got loads of people thinking they are driving one of these. Strip off the body, get tiny wheels, cut the car size down and then maybe you can convince me of the go kart nonsense.
Gen 1 modern and classic Mini Coopers fit the bill as road legal go kart, and so is Fiat 500 Abarth, and I would include R56 too upon second thought . The point is road legal. Few other cars today are. The password is road legal.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 02-02-2018 at 02:05 PM.