NorCal MINIs A club for Northern California MINI Cooper enthusiasts. Visit our club site at www.norcalminis.com

Round 1: April 21st BMW CCA autocross registration is open!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:34 AM
KrisL
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Round 1: April 21st BMW CCA autocross registration is open!

NorCal Minis,

I just opened up registration for the first autocross of the season (7 events scheduled this year!) which is happening on April 21st. If you've never come out to any of the local BMW CCA club events OR if you've never competed in anything like this before, you'll love it. Plenty of Minis come out as they're classified properly in with the BMWs.

The only pre-requisite is that you must be a BMW CCA member. Membership costs $40/yr and for that you get discounts at most local dealers on parts, a subscription to the magazine Roundel, A $500-1500 discount on your next new or CPO BMW (transaction completely separate from the dealership - this pays for a lifetime of BMW CCA membership!), etc.

No prior experience or special car preparation is necessary. Stock cars do just fine! You do need a helmet (Snell 2000 or newer certification), but we've got several loaners on-site for you.

Our autocrosses are a competitive environment where a cone track is setup on the tarmac at Marina Airfield. We put cars into classes based on a formula (based on weight, torque, and a few modifications, and several other factors). One to two cars is on the course at any one time and the hardest thing you can hit is a cone . There are 3 sessions - you drive one session, work a second, and get the third off. Work assignments vary, but most beginners are assigned to be a cone worker, identifying when a car hits a cone and returning it to its proper location (every cone you hit adds a second to your time). Experienced autocrossers can sign up for the assignment of driver coach, riding along with anyone that wants and giving them tips.

The cost is only $45 plus $5 if you want lunch on-site.

This is one place that you can spin your car and people on the internet won't give you crap for driving beyond your limits.... as a matter of fact, if you spin, people might even clap!

Feel free to PM/email me [autocross at ggcbmwcca dot org] if you have any specific questions.

If you want to give it a shot:

Step 1: Join the BMW CCA if you're not already a member.
Step 2: Use the GGC BMW CCA online autocross tool - establish an account, select a driver number, and classify your car. If you just joined the BMW CCA, the online autocross tool won't find your membership. That's OK, just print out your receipt and bring it down to the registration trailer on autocross day as proof.
Step 3: Register for the autocross and pay @ MotorsportReg.com.

Still not sure?

You can come down and ride along without any signup... free! It's a very friendly environment, and most people are more than willing to let you ride along in the passenger seat. We give 6-7 runs, and I usually take passengers for the first 3-4 runs. I've got to do my last two without any extra weight .

Unfortunately our events are down in Marina, just north of Monterey. It's a bit of a drive, but it's a great site and I think you'll discover it's worth it. Directions to Marina: Marina is within 10 miles of Pacific Grove, the Monterey Aquarium, and Laguna Seca. With no traffic, it is about 1 hour from San Jose. Take 101 South to 156 West to 1 South toward Laguna Seca Raceway and Monterey. Take the Reservation Road exit south toward Marina (Left at bottom of exit ramp). After one short block, turn right in order to stay on Reservation Road. Follow the road through Marina and approximately two miles south of town. Turn left at Imjin Rd (stop light) into Marina Airfield - You'll be turning toward a large red/white water tower. Turn right after the first large building on the right and follow the cones to the autocross site. Here's a tinyurl which redirects to google maps showing our autocross site: http://tinyurl.com/354c3t

Finally, here are some pictures of my ZHP autocrossing:

Weeee...

Also...... we now have an Ariel Atom signed up to compete!

Old 03-28-2007, 05:22 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been to a couple of SCCA events and I had some questions for your events..

I looked around briefly on your web page, but didn't see what the rules are for numbering.(In terms of material/tape/size etc) Scca is pretty rigid on the numbering, are you guys?

I was thinking of coming out with my MCS and I just wanted to have everything I need to have a smooth outing.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:28 PM
KrisL
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fjork_duf
I looked around briefly on your web page, but didn't see what the rules are for numbering.(In terms of material/tape/size etc) Scca is pretty rigid on the numbering, are you guys?

Our rules are: try to make your numbers visible from the start line to the trailer .

Our events tend to be a bit more fun than SCCA events, in my opinion.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:52 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah.. I like the competitiveness of the SCCA events, and there are many cool guys. But it seems like they have to be a lot more strict because of the sheer amount of people that show up to their events. Anyway... I may see you out there. I'm going to try to make it for April. I need to get an extra set of wheels/tires first. (and a jack, lug wrench etc)