North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   NorCal MINIs (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/norcal-minis-73/)
-   -   Mini of stevens creek helped me! JCW 210 PROGRAMMING (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/norcal-minis/260197-mini-of-stevens-creek-helped-me-jcw-210-programming.html)

vietnameeh 10-25-2013 08:55 AM

Mini of stevens creek helped me! JCW 210 PROGRAMMING

Ive heard mixed reviews about them so i was hesitant to even ask if they would be able to service my car.

for sometime i been researching what I was going to pursue for ECU tune once i got all my little goodies on.... this car really isn't for any purpose other then a fun street car (i have other cars autox) so I wasnt looking into a custom tune (which I know is the best, but also $$$$) , didn't want a canned tune (reviews saying they really lean out the car also $$$)... so the next bet was a JCW flash from a 2005-06 JCW (not the best, but OEM and can be had for way less then other options and I can drive 10 minutes to a dealer)

the hard part was finding a dealer in the bay area to do it.....

EAST BAY MINI, was telling they can't do it, never heard of it... talked to me kind of like I don't know what I trying to tell them... basically service lady was like "We don't try to fit parts from another model into a different model"... I just replied, I just want the DME flashed...* Strange silence CHIRP CHIRP*

Mini of Concord... same deal but much more professional and honest... "we honestly don't want to try it, only because our techs have no experience with it"

then I decided ok ill try stevens creek... closest to me btw (10 min) Ive read yelp reviews stating how horrible their service is....so i was really hesitant

Anyways Jennifer the service advisor is a super cool chick and really knows her stuff

but let me say I was serviced really well, she was on top of seeing if they could really do it. Jennifer asked the foreman if they could do it. They gave me the ok that they can go ahead and give it a shot. If it doesnt work they wont charge me. However foreman isnt available on weekends nor is he in after 4:30pm (when I get off work). So I thought I was SOL and not going to take a day off to bring the car in. Get this, they offered me a FREE loaner to leave the cover there (Countyman S :thumbsup:)

got my car back and there definite seat of the pants improvement, obviously its just a OEM flash but my 03 runs much smoother throughout the whole range, I use to have bit a "flat" feeling the low to midrange then the boost pulled. Now its really smooth and pulls all the way through. (not going to say I gained any power but the driveability is awesome)

the whole point of this thread is for anyone local (bay area) with a R53 that wants a affordable way to gain some cheap HP (you do need 380cc injectors)... Stevens creek can do the flash...

I'll update this thread if I see any changes in car behavior once i get more miles in.

They also confirmed with me they had done a R56 JCW program on a Regular R56 recently.

*I should note my experience may differ from others because I knew what i wanted and it was simple, but they were able to go a bit more for me offering me a loaner and such.
however I did notice the employees were young and more chit chatty with each other in the parts/service area. I can see how they get mixed reviews with differing people.

vietnameeh 10-25-2013 09:06 AM

Oooo I also I spotted an electric blue r53 on 280s yesterday on my way to Stevens creek from work (SF) with the license plate CHIBI

i was in the black countryman s LOL i didnt wave but it looked really clean

jimz68 10-25-2013 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by vietnameeh (Post 3831665)
Oooo I also I spotted an electric blue r53 on 280s yesterday on my way to Stevens creek from work (SF) with the license plate CHIBI

i was in the black countryman s LOL i didnt wave but it looked really clean

That was me in CHIBI! :grin:
Thanks!!

Good news about Stevens Creek! :thumbsup:

Jim

vietnameeh 10-25-2013 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by jimz68 (Post 3831699)
That was me in CHIBI! :grin:
Thanks!!

Good news about Stevens Creek! :thumbsup:

Jim

awesome

your name sounds familiar, did you use to take pictures at autox events?

i use to race a black civic and a red civic haha

[Pē] 10-29-2013 06:40 PM

What did they charge for this?

KilmerPT 10-29-2013 06:54 PM

Jennifer took care of my MCS one time when I thought I had a coolant leak. She definitely is an excellent SA.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring