North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   NEO Miniacs (Mini NEO) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/neo-miniacs-mini-neo-87/)
-   -   Service in Akron (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/neo-miniacs-mini-neo/100451-service-in-akron.html)

acasebere 05-07-2007 05:39 PM

Service in Akron

I bought a used mini last fall. I took it up to Mentor for the last service, but I'm looking for some place closer. The Akron BMW dealership told me they "don't have the parts" and won't touch it, even for an oil change.

Can somebody recomend a place in Akron/Fairlawn?

22CooperS 10-25-2007 08:40 AM

I'm in the same boat. I live in the Massillon area, and unfortunately liver FAR away from Mentor.

However, I work at Park Honda in Akron and Park Mazda services all makes and models. I'm having my 25K service done today, actually! I'll let you know how it goes.

22CooperS 10-27-2007 10:18 PM

I had my 25K service done... they did a nice job. Didn't realize my S took full synthetic... oh well!

Hand washed the car and everything. Ran about $210 for brake flush and fill, coolant flush and fill, oil change w/ synth., air filter, and to diagnose the drift towards the right... with my employee discount!

So if you need work done, I recommend Park Mazda.

bad venge 02-10-2008 04:25 PM

I bought the genuine mini oil filters and took it to the local quick lube,
They used the castrol full synthetic and charged $35 for oil/labor

freez3 02-11-2008 07:26 AM

22CooperS, did you bring your own filter or did they have the part? Is this the Park Honda on south Arlington? I have the same problem, I live in Uniontown and the drive to Mentor is tough. I find it hard to believe that BMW cannot allow their dealers to do at least oil changes, brake service and other minor work on MINIs since MINI dealers are so far apart. Anybody else have any other options in the Akron area.

22CooperS 02-11-2008 07:17 PM

They ordered the filter... if you give them proper notice, they can get parts in, it might just take a bit longer. If need be, they can overnight parts.

This is Park Mazda (not Honda... Honda is for Honda's only) on Arlington, across from a Hyundai and a Nissan dealership... near Lowe's and Mariachi Loco's.

They of course did the oil change and the aforementioned service, but in addition diagnosed and replaced the o-rings in my oil cooler which were leaking oil.

As someone who works there, I trust these guys... they do good work and Park is truly reputable. I also know I've seen Cooper's sitting outside of a shop on the corner of Wales and Strausser in Jackson Township... it's a foreign auto repair shop... but unfortunately I CANNOT think of the name! I've heard they do good work also.

I'm right down the road from you if you're in Uniontown... I'm in Jackson Township... probably seen you driving around from time to time! Are you active in any MINI club?? I realize we have NEO, but just out of boredom, I was considering creating a more local Akron/Canton club... just a thought! Let me know if you or anyone else would be interested. I'd love to organize a giant MINI rally at the new QS&L in Belden this summer.

freez3 02-12-2008 07:14 AM

I know about the shop at Wales and Strausser, I've heard they do good work but have never had any work done there.
I'm not really active in any MINI club. I've met some of the guys from Mid-Ohio and they're great! The best thig about their club is it's LAME (no structure).
Last year I went to the Classic annual event at Nelson's Ledges, even though it was raining it was great to see so many MINIs.

bad venge 02-12-2008 09:15 AM

I've seen several Mini's at Autobahn service in Copley on Cleveland Massilon road ... I'll have to check them out as well

22CooperS 02-12-2008 08:34 PM

Definitely... it's always good to have a few options to take your car to.

I talked to the sales manager of Acura the other day, and he said the reason why he believes there is no other MINI dealer around is because he thinks you might have to also own a BMW dealership- could be, but I'm not sure. And if that's the case that only leaves Cain and Dave Walter, so the chances are less that we'll EVER see a MINI dealer closer to Akron or Canton.

freez3 02-13-2008 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by 22CooperS (Post 2036080)
I talked to the sales manager of Acura the other day, and he said the reason why he believes there is no other MINI dealer around is because he thinks you might have to also own a BMW dealership- could be, but I'm not sure. And if that's the case that only leaves Cain and Dave Walter, so the chances are less that we'll EVER see a MINI dealer closer to Akron or Canton.

Yes, I believe that's correct. In addition the BMW dealership must build a freestanding building separate from the BMW building to house the MINI dealership. This makes it tough for a dealership to add MINI. I believe Dave Walter (and Cain too) already were in the works for new showrooms when the MINI came out which made it almost impossible for them to add a MINI dealership at that time. I stll think BMW should allow their BMW dealerships to do minor work (oil changes, brake work, etc) on MINIs. It might even help the sales of BMWs as the MINI owner is browsing the showroom while the MINI is being serviced.

bad venge 02-13-2008 07:28 AM

It's rumoured that BMW cleveland is thinking about a mini dealer they have the "Rover" building empty and it would be in Solon so closer to Akron

freez3 02-14-2008 06:32 AM

Yea, that would be a little closer, still a tough drive. I wonder if Dave Walter's old dealership would qualify, or does it have to be a new structure?

22CooperS 02-14-2008 06:35 AM

Not sure... it was more of a speculation than anything. Makes sense though- Park owns Honda AND Acura- same company. They also own a Ford AND Mazda dealerships- same company. So it would make sense that you have to own perhaps a parent company before you own the others. Just a thought!

slumpp 02-23-2008 02:40 PM

braucher's auto

I see your noteabout Braucher's at Strausser and Wales, We have friends who use them all the time. There is also a place down strausser toward canal fulton pass Akron Rd. Called Kosco's (Bruce and Joe) Worth the call. I beleive that 330.854.3530 is the garage phone. 10715 Strausser is the Canal Fulton Address.
All the best,
I am at Lake Cable.
steve

Originally Posted by freez3 (Post 2034467)
I know about the shop at Wales and Strausser, I've heard they do good work but have never had any work done there.
I'm not really active in any MINI club. I've met some of the guys from Mid-Ohio and they're great! The best thig about their club is it's LAME (no structure).
Last year I went to the Classic annual event at Nelson's Ledges, even though it was raining it was great to see so many MINIs.

22CooperS 02-23-2008 08:39 PM

No way! Of course I know Kosco's... they're the ONLY mechanics my uncle and grandpa use, it seems! They did the rack and pinion on my last car.

So you live in Lake Cable?? I'm out near Kosco's, actually, within Jackson Township. Have you seen a Dark Silver w/ White top, blacked out windows, riding on steelies lately??

slumpp 02-24-2008 04:16 AM

i am dark gray '03 'S'

I just Purchased my car 1/5/08.
I have been to breakfast with the mini's (mid- Ohio club) the last two months.
I am looking for a contact with the Neo club.

22CooperS 02-24-2008 07:52 PM

Did you buy yours from Mentor or where?

I'm out in the B. Village area quite a bit (I go to Kent Stark), so maybe I'll see you! What does your MINI look like??

go_mini_go 05-01-2008 07:10 AM

I will vouch for Autobahn in Copley. They are fair and reasonable. Louie is very straightforward. If it is basic maintenance, they will do a good job.

22CooperS 05-01-2008 07:17 AM

So now I'm putting my foot in my mouth...

On second thought, don't go to Park Mazda.

Incompetence. Complete and utter incompetence.

After doing the previously mentioned oil change, my car has leaked oil ever since (it had NEVER leaked before). They replaced the o-rings- didn't fix the problem. Last time I had it in there, the CEL came on right as I was driving away from the shop. Now they're trying to replace the oil cooler and hit me up for another $300.00.

I won't go into details about all the other reasons not to go there.

Disregard what I said a few months back.

Newdl 05-26-2008 08:04 PM

its the ring on the pan...they kinked the ring....pm me if you are still having the leak issue and i'll explain....

p.s. I am in 44333 as well and this is why I drive to mentor....