Navigation & Audio Google Maps alerts intermittently work over BlueTooth

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 02:53 PM
Tom Nichols
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Google Maps alerts intermittently work over BlueTooth

Hi guys - I hope I can get some help from the community here on this issue.

I have a new 2017 F56 S model. I am experiencing odd issues with the Bluetooth audio connection. My info:
- Phone: Nexus 6 running Android 7.0 with latest monthly patches. Since this is a Google device, all apps referred to below are Google apps (e.g. Google Maps, Google Play Music, etc)
- Mini: new 2017 model delivered in mid Oct 2016. Premium Sound package.
- Google Nav refers to the Navigation mode of Google Maps
- I have asked these questions of the Mini Genius at my dealer, but she has not been able to answer them. Thus I surfed the web and found this community. I hope you can help.

Experiences:
- No issues connecting the phone to the car via Bluetooth.
- Playing music from the phone over Bluetooth works 100%.
- Making phone calls from the phone or the car interface works 100%.
- Google Maps/Navigation ("Google Nav" below) is set to communicate voice alerts over Bluetooth.
- Google Nav properly gives voice alerts over the car speakers during a phone call.
- Google Nav *sometimes* gives voice alerts over the car speakers while playing music from the phone. This seems to work mostly if there was a phone call sometime prior to trying this. But if I start playing music from the phone, then start navigating somewhere, the voice alerts from Nav are not audible.
- Google Nav *does not* give voice alerts over the car speakers while playing the car radio. This is my main problem and the reason for this post. Further to this:
- Nav voice alerts do not come out of the phone audio either.
- The test message in Google Nav experiences the exact same behavior as described here.
- I can see Google Nav is giving out the alerts, but they cannot be heard.
- If the phone is not connected to the car Bluetooth, then the Nav voice alerts work properly and come out of the phone audio. This is not an issue with the phone. Google Maps/Nav works 100% properly when not connected to the car's Bluetooth.
- I have triple checked all settings on the phone for Google Maps/Navigation, and they are all set correctly according to Google.

Can anyone help explain this audio behavior?

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2017, 03:09 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Play as Bluetooth Phone Call turned on?

Google Maps --> Settings --> Navigation Settings --> Play as phone call on?

Old 01-09-2017, 04:02 PM
Tom Nichols
Neutral
Yes.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:25 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
I have the exact same experience with Google Maps and Apple Maps with my iPhone 7. Drive me nuts and haven't found a way to resolve it yet.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:33 AM
voytaz
Neutral
Hi,

I've just picked up the car (MCS VO) and have the same issue with android phone and google maps. The only thing I've done (a kind of remedy) was to change settings of the car's bluetooth, so that the google maps voice comes directly from the smartphone.

Best,
VoYtaZ

Old 03-26-2017, 07:22 AM
Zazoh
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is same for iPhone. The car radio, and it is like this for FORD as well, will only play Map Prompts, Waze, Google, and Apple Maps, over bluetooth when there is bluetooth music playing. In other words, if you are playing SirusXM, or FM radio, you can't simultaneously play bluetooth alerts.