Navigation & Audio upgraded speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 07:13 PM
Bavsound
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bratling
Hah! I'm afraid it's more the SAF ... Spousal Approval Factor.

I just recommended a guy on Reddit check out your stuff. He's really not happy with the lack of bass in his new F56.
Haha, heard and understood. Despite being an audio nerd, I know quite well there aren't speakers good enough in this world to be worth making the lady mad.

Appreciate the recommendation!

Old 08-03-2016, 06:47 PM
jeffreyevens
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally got around to installing Bavsound upgraded door speakers. Installation was easy. These speakers are much,much better than the factory one's. It takes less volume level to get the sound I like and the clarity is much improved. Underset bass speakers will be done next in the future. Anyone looking to upgrade their base system with plug&play affordability this is the way to go! Thanks Bavsound !!

Old 08-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Moya45
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I also finally got round to installing the Bavsound stage one front and back door speakers. Install was pretty easy except I had a hiccup with one speaker having a broken solder. Easy fix, just took it to work and re-soldered it. The back doors on my F55 were a little easier although I had to hold the door while installing. No big deal. The sound does seem better. More definition. Not earth shattering but much better than the base system speakers. I think I will eventually get the under seat subs. Definitely worth the upgrade.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:15 PM
Bavsound
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Moya45
I also finally got round to installing the Bavsound stage one front and back door speakers. Install was pretty easy except I had a hiccup with one speaker having a broken solder. Easy fix, just took it to work and re-soldered it. The back doors on my F55 were a little easier although I had to hold the door while installing. No big deal. The sound does seem better. More definition. Not earth shattering but much better than the base system speakers. I think I will eventually get the under seat subs. Definitely worth the upgrade.
Glad you're enjoying the upgrade!

So sorry about the solder -- we have a < 0.5% failure / defect rate so issues like that are extremely rare. However, we want to make absolutely sure you're taken care of -- when it's time to get the subs, let us know and we'll extend a 10% discount on the order for your trouble; just reference this post.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:30 PM
NellyRod
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ordered the Bavsound stage one with ghost subwoofers and sound deadening pack to replace the HK system in my JCW. The HK system in Mini is decent at best but worlds apart from the HK system I had in a previous car (MB AMG). I guess more expensive marques use more expensive audio components even if they use the same audio manufacturer.

The HK system in my JCW doesn't have the clarity it should at low volumes. Mids and highs sound muffled unless I raise the treble and volume. Bass also could be much better for being an "upgraded option". I'm looking forward to hearing the Bavsound difference.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:42 PM
Bavsound
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NellyRod
Ordered the Bavsound stage one with ghost subwoofers and sound deadening pack to replace the HK system in my JCW. The HK system in Mini is decent at best but worlds apart from the HK system I had in a previous car (MB AMG). I guess more expensive marques use more expensive audio components even if they use the same audio manufacturer.

The HK system in my JCW doesn't have the clarity it should at low volumes. Mids and highs sound muffled unless I raise the treble and volume. Bass also could be much better for being an "upgraded option". I'm looking forward to hearing the Bavsound difference.
Thanks for the purchase -- you're gonna love it.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:42 PM
NellyRod
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Moya45
I also have a broken solder joint on the center channel tweeter. Unfortunately I do not have the tools to fix it myself so I will have to send it back for a replacement.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:38 PM
NellyRod
2nd Gear
Bavsound sent a replacement tweeter as soon as I notified them of the defective one. Installed in minutes and now the system finally sounds complete. Overall it's a good improvement over the HK system. A noticeable amount of definition and clarity is now present. The under seat subs sound awesome. Entire system is a great upgrade.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:52 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Bavsounds.

Product seems to be great and a hit. Just not ready to swap out my HK speakers just yet. I was wondering if you have a replacement for the bass speaker under the seat. I'm thinking about going that route first then changin out the other speakers once the time comes.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:11 PM
Bavsound
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniF55
Bavsounds.

Product seems to be great and a hit. Just not ready to swap out my HK speakers just yet. I was wondering if you have a replacement for the bass speaker under the seat. I'm thinking about going that route first then changin out the other speakers once the time comes.
Absolutely. You can review the product and order here: https://www.bavsound.com/BMW-Underse...ofer-Upgrades/

The site says "BMW" but these are 100% compatible with your Mini

Old 09-09-2016, 10:08 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Thanks Bavsound! Great info, now I have to check and see if passenger also has a speaker under the seat. I've always thought it was on driver side only. I have a 4 door 2015 mini s

Old 09-10-2016, 01:39 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniF55
Thanks Bavsound! Great info, now I have to check and see if passenger also has a speaker under the seat. I've always thought it was on driver side only. I have a 4 door 2015 mini s
It does. I have the same car.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:12 PM
talasyn
2nd Gear
So, I bought the F56 stage one kit from Bavsound. They had great presale support and I liked that they had an instructional video as I'm completely new to removing panels from a car.

I installed the front two speakers in the doors. The only probably that I had was that I broke the speaker connector from the car on the driver side door, so I ended up just soldering the car wires to the speaker wires. Not optimal, but works just fine.

Now the issue. I was delivered 2 boxes of speakers, each with 2 speakers. The boxes were identical and the speakers appeared to be identical. Before I started to disassemble the back of my car to install the rear speakers, I removed the speakers from the second box. I noticed that these speakers happen to have a capacitor along the wire whereas the front speakers did not.

Today I called Bavsound to ask about the difference. They said the speakers with the capacitors should go in the front and the other speakers must go in the back. Wonderful. So I need to undo the work I did in the front and swap out the speakers. Well, thats awesome since I had to solder in my driver side speaker. I asked Bavsound if I REALLY had to swap them out they said absolutely as there is a chance that I could damage the speakers otherwise.

I have no idea why leaving it as-is would damage the speakers but I'm new to this. Just very frustrated. Screwing up the connector in the driver door was my fault, but the fact that there is absolutely NO indication of front / rear orientation is what is frustrating. How is someone supposed to know that?

:-(

Old 10-10-2016, 02:22 PM
Bavsound
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by talasyn
So, I bought the F56 stage one kit from Bavsound. They had great presale support and I liked that they had an instructional video as I'm completely new to removing panels from a car.

I installed the front two speakers in the doors. The only probably that I had was that I broke the speaker connector from the car on the driver side door, so I ended up just soldering the car wires to the speaker wires. Not optimal, but works just fine.

Now the issue. I was delivered 2 boxes of speakers, each with 2 speakers. The boxes were identical and the speakers appeared to be identical. Before I started to disassemble the back of my car to install the rear speakers, I removed the speakers from the second box. I noticed that these speakers happen to have a capacitor along the wire whereas the front speakers did not.

Today I called Bavsound to ask about the difference. They said the speakers with the capacitors should go in the front and the other speakers must go in the back. Wonderful. So I need to undo the work I did in the front and swap out the speakers. Well, thats awesome since I had to solder in my driver side speaker. I asked Bavsound if I REALLY had to swap them out they said absolutely as there is a chance that I could damage the speakers otherwise.

I have no idea why leaving it as-is would damage the speakers but I'm new to this. Just very frustrated. Screwing up the connector in the driver door was my fault, but the fact that there is absolutely NO indication of front / rear orientation is what is frustrating. How is someone supposed to know that?

:-(
Hi Talasyn,

So sorry you didn't have a perfect experience with us. The speakers with capacitors SHOULD have had a big piece of paper with them that says "IMPORTANT NOTE: These speakers MUST be installed in your front doors" -- was that not included? Perhaps it was overlooked?

We basically never hear about this issue because that paper should always be included within the packaging itself. However, it is possible that our manufacturer left it out of the most recent production run, in which case we obviously have some sorting to do.

Either way, our purpose is to deliver joy. If you had a less than perfect experience, we want to make it right; normally I would ask for more information about your order so I could take care of this directly, but since this is a public forum I don't want to do that.

Instead, can you please reach out to our support team at support@bavsound.com, and let them know you had this exchange with me (Micah) on North American Motoring, and that I've advised that we'll be issuing at $75 credit to your purchase to make up for this inconvenience?

Am I correct in assuming that you have an F56 with Base audio? Just want to be sure of that so I can review and correct our on-hand inventory if indeed there is an issue.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:27 PM
talasyn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Bavsound
Hi Talasyn,

So sorry you didn't have a perfect experience with us. The speakers with capacitors SHOULD have had a big piece of paper with them that says "IMPORTANT NOTE: These speakers MUST be installed in your front doors" -- was that not included? Perhaps it was overlooked?

We basically never hear about this issue because that paper should always be included within the packaging itself. However, it is possible that our manufacturer left it out of the most recent production run, in which case we obviously have some sorting to do.

Either way, our purpose is to deliver joy. If you had a less than perfect experience, we want to make it right; normally I would ask for more information about your order so I could take care of this directly, but since this is a public forum I don't want to do that.

Instead, can you please reach out to our support team at support@bavsound.com, and let them know you had this exchange with me (Micah) on North American Motoring, and that I've advised that we'll be issuing at $75 credit to your purchase to make up for this inconvenience?

Am I correct in assuming that you have an F56 with Base audio? Just want to be sure of that so I can review and correct our on-hand inventory if indeed there is an issue.
Yes, its the base system. Nope - didn't have anything included with the box besides the packing slip. I just checked. Its all good. Again, customer service has been great. I'm sure I'll love the speakers. I'm just frustrated at having to redo some work, especially since I borked the connector. Now I have to snip and solder a rear speaker as well- my fault.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:31 PM
Bavsound
2nd Gear
Yes, its the base system. Nope - didn't have anything included with the box besides the packing slip. I just checked. Its all good. Again, customer service has been great. I'm sure I'll love the speakers. I'm just frustrated at having to redo some work, especially since I borked the connector. Now I have to snip and solder a rear speaker as well- my fault.
Thanks for letting us know and for the information; we'll get the problem sorted internally as it sounds like there may be a widespread issue.

Sorry this created extra work for you; that said I'm hopeful you agree that the increased sound quality and performance is worth it in the end.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:16 PM
GPMini
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hmmm odd. Both pairs I received were the same, no capacitors.

And am I the only one that doesn't really even notice the ghost subwoofers? For the cost of those, I kinda expected a little more low end.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:27 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Looks like the capacitors were for base system upgrade. Were you upgrading HK?

Old 10-10-2016, 09:45 PM
GPMini
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Nope. Base.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:04 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Yikes, this company seems to be floundering in providing the right equipment. I think you need to have a conversation with them and I need to rethink upgrade strategy.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:53 PM
talasyn
2nd Gear
Thanks for letting us know and for the information; we'll get the problem sorted internally as it sounds like there may be a widespread issue.

Sorry this created extra work for you; that said I'm hopeful you agree that the increased sound quality and performance is worth it in the end.
Okay - so today I redid my front door speakers, putting in the speakers with the capacitors. I also took a deep breath and tackled the rear speakers. Note that before starting this project I've never removed a piece of trim in my life. So, it took about 2 hours total, but the amazing thing was that everything actually went back together again :-)

When all was said and done, I think the speakers sound great. It was a big upgrade from the base system that I had. I'm glad I got the Bavsound system.

Last edited by talasyn; 10-11-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:07 PM
Bavsound
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GPMini
Hmmm odd. Both pairs I received were the same, no capacitors.
Because I don't know your vehicle or full configuration, I can't say whether you received the right gear or not. That said, please reach out to support@bavsound.com so we can confirm; if there are any issues, we'll get it sorted.
And am I the only one that doesn't really even notice the ghost subwoofers? For the cost of those, I kinda expected a little more low end.
A few comments / questions:
  • Our subs, while delivering 2x the output in the critical sub-bass frequency range of ~30Hz to 80Hz, aren't an outboard trunk sub, which means the volume does have to be turned up a reasonable amount for the difference to be apparent since we can't drive and amplify the bass signal regardless of overall system output as is common with dedicated subwoofer systems. That said, our subs DEFINITELY increase output -- see frequency response graph below comparing factory in blue vs. ours in red
  • Have they had at least 10 hours of moderate to hard use to break in? They sound COMPLETELY different after break-in. Like, night and day. If the answer to this question is no, I'd suggest putting your car on a trickle charger (or letting it idle somewhere safe) and putting on a very dynamic album on repeat at moderate to high volumes and let them get a workout.
  • What source material are you using? If it's any sort of compressed material (such as satellite radio, MP3, Spotify, etc.) then the difference will be "muted" as the quality of the recording has a very signficant impact
  • How are you playing your music? If it's over Bluetooth and/or with compressed files, much of the frequency range these play isn't even reaching the head unit due to the compression.

Bavsound Ghost Subs in Orange vs. Factory subs in blue

Old 10-11-2016, 06:12 PM
Bavsound
2nd Gear
Smile

Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Yikes, this company seems to be floundering in providing the right equipment. I think you need to have a conversation with them and I need to rethink upgrade strategy.
We're not perfect, but we ALWAYS stand by our products and our customers. We've been around in the BMW world for 12+ years and served over 40,000 happy BMW (and now Mini) owners. I understand your concern, but there's no company in the world, regardless of size or history or product quality that doesn't have a small issue (hint: see Apple "antenna gate" and Samsung "exploding battery" stories).

It's also why we offer a 100 Day In Car Trial; because we deliver amazing products, and we know you'll be happy. We get it, we're online shoppers too, and it's always a risk when you buy from a new company you haven't heard of before, so we want you to feel protected and comfortable with the purchase.

I encourage you to give us a try. I think you'll be surprised at the experience. And if you have any concerns, just mention them at the time of the order and we'll put our team of special elves on the fulfillment and delivery process to make sure it's perfect.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:18 PM
Bavsound
2nd Gear
Okay - so today I redid my front door speakers, putting in the speakers with the capacitors. I also took a deep breath and tackled the rear speakers. Note that before starting this project I've never removed a piece of trim in my life. So, it took about 2 hours total, but the amazing thing was that everything actually went back together again :-)

When all was said and done, I think the speakers sound great. It was a big upgrade from the base system that I had. I'm glad I got the Bavsound system.

Right on man, so glad you're loving it!

Old 10-11-2016, 06:23 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
We're not perfect, but we ALWAYS stand by our products and our customers. We've been around in the BMW world for 12+ years and served over 40,000 happy BMW (and now Mini) owners. I understand your concern, but there's no company in the world, regardless of size or history or product quality that doesn't have a small issue (hint: see Apple "antenna gate" and Samsung "exploding battery" stories).

It's also why we offer a 100 Day In Car Trial; because we deliver amazing products, and we know you'll be happy. We get it, we're online shoppers too, and it's always a risk when you buy from a new company you haven't heard of before, so we want you to feel protected and comfortable with the purchase.

I encourage you to give us a try. I think you'll be surprised at the experience. And if you have any concerns, just mention them at the time of the order and we'll put our team of special elves on the fulfillment and delivery process to make sure it's perfect.
I ordered so will give it a go. Hopefully all goes according to plan.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio upgraded speakers