Navigation & Audio No USB audio, can't plug into charge and use BT Audio

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 01:18 PM
comanchepilot
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No USB audio, can't plug into charge and use BT Audio

I have 2013 Countryman with Nav/BT etc. An iPhone 6 with iOS 8.3. Very unusual system and it really only works with BT.

Scenario 1.

I turned off my bluetooth - then plugged in just a USB cable - then plugged the phone to cable.

It will not connect to USB for audio. Audio should transmit through the official lightning cable. Doesn't. But it charges the phone.

Scenario 2

Same as Scenario 1 - turn on BT - and BT audio will not work - but the phone does.

Scenario 3

BT off. Use official BMW iPhone 30 pin cable, using official Apple 30-pin to lightning cable - yes- both cables are plugged into the iPhone - the phone is recognized but audio does not work. Same problem as scenario 1 above.

Scenario 4

Charge BT using a 12v auto power adapter - but turn on BT - BT audio [usually] works - and phone works fine. The system works as intended but not sure if the whole voice system works because that learning curve seems unnecessary right now as I learn the rest of the car. . . .

Scenario 5

BT was the last usable audio input on the vehicle. If I plug the USB cable into the car to charge it without the car charge- the BT Audio will not work - there is no audio out of the phone.

I will say that the iPhone with just USB is recognized in my wife's 2013 Chevy Volt - so this seems very unusual - it is just typical German stubbornness to properly program electronics? Is it a common problem and may I presume that BMW will get around to updating the system for iOS 8 about the time iOs 10 comes out? [Wife just bought a MB B-Class electric car to replace the Volt coming off lease - and the Benz does not have the ability to delay the charge to cheaper electric times - so i'm used to 'typical' German quirks that any other manufacturer just gets - such as touch screen nav.]

Should I just charge it with an auto charger plugged into the cigarette plug . . . . use BT . . . and the steering wheel controls and just STFU and be happy it works that way?

After all - none of the Mini Connected / Office apps have full functionality anyway with Apple . . . . why bother plugging the phone in . . .

finally: How can I get the Sirius / XM satellite radio number off the unit? We have some unused credits for that . ..

Old 08-09-2015, 04:18 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of devices won't let you connect a single device USB and BT at the same time.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:27 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by comanchepilot
It will not connect to USB for audio. Audio should transmit through the official lightning cable.
No it won't. That technology is too advanced for MINI. The Countryman's stereo is primitive and does NOT support USB audio. MINI did not support USB audio at all until the 3rd generation models (F55, F56). The Countryman (and R56) use the stupid Y cable. Audio is transmitted into the aux input.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:36 PM
HZBJCW
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
??? I have a generation 2 JCW (2009) with standard audio. I have a Motorola Droid Ultra XT1080 Android phone. I plug into the usb outlet. My music is in the music directory on my phone. I select USB on the Mini it takes about 10 seconds to find the directory and another 10 seconds before the music starts playing.

ON the 2016 bkuetooth audio works fine. It is one of the few things that does work on the 2016. The "easy stuff" is impossible on that idrive. I cannot preset an FM station to save my life.