Navigation & Audio My audio upgrade experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 01:11 PM
cmutt
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My audio upgrade experience

I have a 2015 Countryman w/ the standard audio package, and I decided to upgrade the sound system.

I read many different threads in the forums to try to get a good idea of the best options for upgrading the system. After sifting through many of the different possibilities, here's what I chose to do.

Since the door panel speakers are all 4", I went with Focal IC 100's for the front doors, and Focal CA 1's for the rear doors.

I already had an Alpine 4 channel amp, and a Fosgate 2 channel amp from my previous vehicle, so I opted to use them.

I also had a 10" Pioneer shallow mount subwoofer, so I bought a new Pioneer shallow sub box which fits into the lower compartment in the trunk.
I chose to disconnect the 6.5" under seat woofers.

Lastly, I had an LC6i line out converter to handle the sound distribution, ect..

I shopped around and found a local shop to do the install for a fairly decent price. It was much more work than they thought it was gonna be, because the Countryman has a LOT of parts to disassemble and remove in order to tuck and hide everything away.

Now as for the finished product...

First let me say that from reading what many others have already tried and described, I was already prepared with the knowledge that the four 4" speakers would probably not produce the kind of balanced, and well rounded sound that I was hoping for. The Focals are dramatically better than the stock speakers, but even as good as the Focals are... they cannot produce the mid range sound of bigger size speakers.
So I will say that although the sound is much clearer and much louder, it's mostly on the high end.

The subwoofer in the trunk is much stronger than I thought it would be. It's a clean deep bass, which is good enough for a strong bump, but it doesn't cause any rattle or bad vibrations in the vehicle that I notice.

As for the overall sound quality of the system now... it's louder, clearer, and it has some thump from the bass.

But I'm not sold that the blending of the four 4" in the doors and the 10" sub in the trunk makes for a good match though... at least not with my current setup.

To my ears, there's clearly something missing, and I'm guessing it's the mid range element. I'm no audiophile, but it's like there's a bit too much treble, or high's, and only a deep punch of bass. So it's probably just like what I've read from other threads where the conclusions have all pretty much stated that the Countryman only being fitted for 4" speakers is the biggest problem in trying to get the best quality sounds. There's just not enough range I guess.

Certain songs and certain music still sound very good though, especially when I crank up the volume. If I play with the audio settings I'm sure I can blend the sounds even better, but that's a limited fix and it doesn't really solve the problem.

So I'm happy that it sounds much better than the factory setup, but I'm not sure that this setup is going to satisfy me in the long run. I may choose to try to add some mid range later on, somehow.

Anyhow, since I had most of the components already, it was kind of a no brainer for me to just go ahead and try it out. It didn't cost me too much more to upgrade the system, and it's definitely much, much better than before.

I'm gonna play around and tinker with some more with the settings and such, and I'll post here again if there's anything note worthy.

I appreciate all of the advice and info from the other threads, and I just wanted to share this with other Countryman owners as well.

Peace

Last edited by cmutt; 11-11-2015 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:24 PM
jjphere
Neutral
I'm considering upgrading my Countryman as well. Can you please post some pics?
Where did you tap on the speaker wires?
Is there a x9331 connector on the Countryman?

Old 12-05-2015, 01:29 AM
Arnie Webb
Neutral
I have just bought a Countryman SD with the Navigation Boost system which is pretty dreadful. I think as many have said, there is no low pass filter on the subs.

My old car has a nice system built around a Genesis Q240 for subs and front SA30 for rear fill. I'm using 6.5" focals at the moment which do go very low.

I'm using a Sony head unit at present which has a configurable electronic crossover built in, and I an driving the mids from 80hz upwards.

I too am concerned about the 90hz to 250hz range, if I move to 4" units in the Mini, so I have researched external line output converters which include an adjustable active crossover. First thing that strikes me about the LC6i is that the crossover frequencies are pre-set - I cannot even find out what they are set to. So if they are set at 150hz or higher this will give the hollow sound the OP speaks of. Worth noting that if you use the LC6i's big brother the 6XS, its not possible to drive your front speakers in the 90-250hz range unless you add a pair of mid/low speakers. I'm beginning to think the AudioControl stuff does not provide the finesse required if you want to run with speakers installed in the original positions in your car.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:32 PM
cmutt
Neutral
So, time for an update.

After a somewhat awful experience with the first install place, I've since had two separate sets of upgrades and installs.

The first install shop was recommended by the guys at my local MINI dealer, although they were primarily used by MINI for their tinting and decals services, the MINI guy said that they did stereo work as also. Well... I should've known better when I saw how small their operation was. Suffice to say, they did a pretty lousy job with the overall install, in both the workmanship and audio quality. As I said in my first post, it sounded much better than the factory stock system... but in the long run, it didn't cut the mustard. The system kept overheating and cutting out, and a couple of the Focal speakers had blown, so it was time to cut my losses and redo the system.

Fast forward to around October or November of 2017.

I ended up going to Audio Express because I had previous experiences with them over the past ten years, even back when some of them were called Mobile One. I told them my nightmare story about the first install shop, and they just shook their heads when they inspected the system. They confirmed that the first shop had done a pretty crappy job, and that they obviously didn't really know car audio that well.

I had them inspect my amps to see if they were still in good condition, and they were... so I opted to reuse them, to save on budget. I initially wanted to use the LC7i but the guys at Audio Express told me that if I didn't mind paying more, that I should consider using the JL Audio FIX and JL Audio TWK system. They schooled me a bit on how they would be much better in terms of really fine tuning my system, and getting the most out of it. So I went that route.

Now for the speakers, which are the most troublesome aspects of MINI's imho.

I already knew that the biggest problem was that the MINI could only fit 4" speakers in the doors, which is too small to achieve both great quality audio, along with great power and volume. So what to do?

I brainstormed with the guys at Audio Express, and eventually they found out that they COULD put 5 1/4 inch speakers in the rear doors, but that the grill would have to be modified a bit, in order to fit and attach properly... and that the grill plate would have to protrude slightly, rather than be somewhat flush in the doors, as regular 4" speaker grills would be. They showed me, and we were talking only a slight protrusion, maybe a 1/2 inch, so I was totally okay with that. After all, the difference between a pair of 5 1/4" speakers and a pair of 4" speakers is HUGE... especially in the small interior of a MINI, even a Countryman. The front doors are limited in space, so there's almost no way to put any speakers larger than the allotted 4"s in them. (Bad design MINI, bad design)

So... I opted for JL Audio 5 1/4 C2's in the rear doors, JL Audio 4" C2's in the front doors, with JL Audio tweeters mounted on top of the front door panels. I used the same 2 amps, the Alpine for the 4 speakers and tweeters, and the Fosgate for the low profile 10" sub in the lower trunk compartment. I also added Hushmat in all 4 doors, to better improve the overall sound quality.

So after all that, and with the upgraded JL processing system... MUCH BETTER. Better sound quality overall, a little louder, with a little more power. I don't know that the JL speakers are better than the Focals though, I mean the Focals sounded nice too... they just weren't very powerful. Not that the JL's are any more powerful, they are all 4" speakers after all. But perhaps the JL FIX and TWK made a big difference to the overall system sound.

Although the system is much better, throughout the next 7-8 months I notice a few things.
1. I wasn't completely satisfied with the loudness and power, it sounded good with windows closed, but with windows and sunroof open... I wanted more power and sound. ( I guess I want it to be heard more than just a few cars away, LOL )
2. the system cut out about 6 or 7 times, and it seemed like an overheating thing
3. I started hearing a flubbing, vibrating sound at very loud volumes, seemingly from the driver's door side. My guess was a blown speaker

So it's August 2018... the speakers are still under warranty, it's time to deal with the problems and issues... so back to Audio Express I go.

Conclusions:
- Amps were placed in bad location by the original "crappy" install shop, with very little airflow space
- Amps power ratings not sufficient to really push all 4 JL speakers anywhere near their full potential
- so the amps were not properly ventilated and they were being over worked trying to keep up with the speakers volumes, thus the overheating and cutting out
- Pioneer low profile sub is low end quality, and low profile box is non-ported... so lesser overall sub audio quality
- door speaker not blown, but had somehow detached from door position or something, perhaps causing the sound which I assumed was a blown speaker

Solutions:
- old amps removed
- old sub and box removed
- speakers tested
- JL Audio FIX and TWK relocated to lower trunk space
- new high power, high efficiency 5 channel JL Audio amp placed in lower trunk, providing 100 watts X 4 speakers, and 300 watts to sub
- new low profile JL Audio 8" sub, with ported box placed in lower trunk
- new high quality JL C5 tweeters installed
- new JL C5 5 1/4 speakers ordered
- new JL C5 4" speakers ordered

So I have my MINI with all the new stuff, except for the 4 new JL C5 speakers, which should arrive later.

But even with the old JL C2 speakers still in use... the overall sound quality and power is FAR BETTER than before. The new JL amp has obviously made a tremendous difference, which they said it would. The C2's are now being pushed to their upper capacities, so I'm hearing great clarity and quality at even higher volumes. (the JL C5's should make an even more remarkable difference too, since they are a HUGE step up in both power and audio quality)
And the better subwoofer audio quality is quite noticable too. The sub seems to be both stronger and cleaner.

So all in all, it's taken me 3 major trips to the car audio shops, some trial and error, some aggravation and frustration, and perhaps wasted between $1500 and $2000 dollars in the grand scheme of things.

But now I finally think I've got my MINI Countryman sounding about as good as it possibly can. The techs and service guys at Audio Express said that when all the JL C5 speakers are finally installed, the system will be just under competition level quality. Whether that's accurate or not... doesn't matter to me... the most important thing to me is that I finally got the system sounding VERY loud, and VERY good. I can drive happy.

I hope this may help other Countryman owners, or other MINI owners in general.

I'll update once the C5's are installed.
Peace

Last edited by cmutt; 08-24-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:46 AM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
'K.... so $2000 wasted + how much did you spend on your final product/install = total amount spent?

Old 08-23-2018, 12:37 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
My suggestion for future up graders, swap out the amp first and see how you like the sound. If that doesn't do it for you speakers next. If you think that you are that guy who wants to tune the system then go for a Bimmertech amp or similar which allows lots of customized scenarios.

In my case the biggest help was the amplification of the under seat woofers. I spent about $1500 in total on mine. JL Amp Bavsound speakers.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:58 PM
cmutt
Neutral
Originally Posted by mikey_t
'K.... so $2000 wasted + how much did you spend on your final product/install = total amount spent?
Hmm, I'm not sure that I even WANT to know the answer to that question! You know how it is... if I don't think about it, or acknowledge it... then I won't feel so bad. Heh

Well, let's see, rough estimates...

1st install job
- around $250 or so for the (4) Focal speakers
- around $600 for the 1st (crappy) install job (parts and labor)

2nd install job
- approx. $1800 (JL Audio Fix and Twk, JL Audio C2 4" speakers X4 + insurance, Hushmat in all 4 doors, rewire entire audio system, all parts and labor)

3rd install job
- approx. $2500 (JL Audio 5 channel amp, JL 8" sub and box, JL C5 series 5 1/4 speakers, JL C5 4" speakers, JL C5 tweeters, + insurance, all parts and labor) (note: the C5 series speakers make up over $1000 themselves)

So I guess that a little over $5K altogether. Quite a lot to spend when I look at it like that... but ultimately, it brings me a lot of joy and I'm very happy with it. When I'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for my hour long drive home from work... it's not as bad when my music is blasting. And I do sometimes enjoy letting the other cars around me hear and feel the power of classic rock. Especially RUSH!!

Also, I will still have the working JL Audio C2 4" speakers (x4) and the tweeters (x2), the Alpine amp, the Fosgate amp, and the Pioneer shallow 10" sub and box. So I may be able to get a little something back if I sell some, or all of those things.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:08 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
It all sounded good until you said "Rush". Gawd, i cannot stand Geddie Lee's voice and i change the channel whenever they come on the radio.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:23 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by mikey_t
It all sounded good until you said "Rush". Gawd, i cannot stand Geddie Lee's voice and i change the channel whenever they come on the radio.
Worst vocals of an otherwise good band, agreed!
​​​​​​

Old 08-24-2018, 08:08 AM
cmutt
Neutral
Hardcore Rush fans grow to love his vocals... simply because they are... HIS voice.

After decades of admiration for those guys as musicians and their music, I think it just comes down to an appreciation of them being... RUSH. Like they wouldn't be who they were if it weren't for their individual qualities and traits. So the "voice" is part of what made them Rush.
That's my reason anyway.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:41 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the work done ?
Do you know where they tied the JL Audio processors in to get signal from the factory head unit ?

This spring I'm going to jump into this I think. Front staging is a HUGE issue as you stated as the factory 4" is just not a very good starting point. I'm almost thinking of trying to find another set of door panels from the wreckers and chop them up to get a proper set of 6.5" in the doors.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:53 PM
cm.d
2nd Gear

Old 06-10-2020, 10:00 PM
doctahjones
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tominizer
Do you have any pictures of the work done ?
Do you know where they tied the JL Audio processors in to get signal from the factory head unit ?

This spring I'm going to jump into this I think. Front staging is a HUGE issue as you stated as the factory 4" is just not a very good starting point. I'm almost thinking of trying to find another set of door panels from the wreckers and chop them up to get a proper set of 6.5" in the doors.

That's actually not a half bad idea.....I haven't popped my panels off yet, i wonder how much clearance is back there with the windows down/etc...do they make shallow mount 6.5s? hah

Old 06-10-2020, 10:01 PM
doctahjones
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cm.d
for mine, i tapped the sub leads off the HK amp. I would assume you could do the same for the other channels.