Navigation & Audio Anyone done a Mobridge DA-2 installation ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 08:05 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone done a Mobridge DA-2 installation ??

Just curious as I'm looking at stuff that allows the factory head unit to be kept.

Please post your experiences and thoughts. I've found very little on the internet on this .

Old 04-21-2015, 03:58 PM
jkline
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would be very interested in any experiences as well. I just did the install of one of these in my Countryman:
http://audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=42
Does basically everything the Mobridge does, albeit using the analog high level speaker outputs. Looks like you may need the DA3 to get EQ and crossover capabilities though.
The idea of a digital interface to the factory HU is intriguing. That and the Mobridge dos not require any splicing into the existing wiring like with the Audison.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:53 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
In my 2008 Clubman, I installed a Pioneer P99R and re-did the entire audio system. This time I'm just not up for that level of effort. Before that P99R setup, I had installed a JBL MS-8 using the factory Mini head unit. So that would be a lot like your Audison setup. And I didn't like it. I could not get the MS-8 to setup right with it's auto-tune.

Anyways, If I can figure out this Mobridge thing, it seems like the cleanest way to start. I also looked at the DA3. I just wasn't able to find out enough information on the processing part of that setup to ensure it does what I need. I want to be able to do a 3-way front end and a sub only. I've heard rumors that the cross-over may only be band-pass for the mid-range for example. Regardless, first order of business is figuring out how this DA2 would integrate and what issues I'm up against.

As of right now, there's a number of issues:

I need to find out if my Mini NAV is on the MOST system and if there's a separate audio amp connected to the NAV on the MOST system. If that's the case, then the DA2 just plugs into where the Mini factory amplifier is. I'd just need to find where this amp is in the car.

Now, if there's a MOST system in the car but no amp, it may still work, but the MOST system would need to be updated with a diagnostic tool to recognize that there's a new piece of equipment on that system. The DA2 usually takes the spot of the stock amp and thus this piece of equipment is recognized on the MOST system if it replaces the amp and no further changes are needed.

Anyways, once I get this MOST thing sorted out, I will update his thread. Or if anyone has any input, it would be appreciated. If the Mobridge DA2 is just plug and play, that would be awesome. Then the next decision is one the processing side. DA3 or go to another aftermarket piece.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:13 PM
jkline
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tominizer,
I can confirm the door speaker feeds on the Countryman w/Mini Boost HU are full range. In fact, as near as I can tell, the bass drivers under the seats are fed from these same connections, hence why they are likely full range. I read up on the JBL MS-8 and was curious how well it worked. While the acoustic correction method the JBL uses would seem in theory the most complete, it can be somewhat variable. The auto EQ that the Audison does is in the electronic side of things only and as such is a little more consistent. In fact it was so good that I haven't attempted any manual EQ adjustments as of yet. I will use REW software to do the audio analysis and then make the adjustments myself. Seems like the JBL may be trying to do to much automatically.
Even after all my work though I can't rule out a Mobridge in my future. Hopefully this thread gets some of your questions answered as they are mine as well.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:53 AM
mObridge
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,

Let me answer some questions for you:

1) "I've heard rumors that the cross-over may only be band-pass for the mid-range for example"

This is getting revised in teh next version of the UI due in a weeks time. We're adding band pass and low pass to both the mid range and woofer. The DA3 is a full blown DSP with all the features that you would expect in a DSP and has a very easy to use interface.

2) "Now, if there's a MOST system in the car but no amp, it may still work, but the MOST system would need to be updated with a diagnostic tool"

The DA system, like all the other mObridge products actually self codes itself into the car. If you have a banrd new mini based on the BMW F series platforms with the new NBT systems then you would need a diagnostic machine but for a 2013 Countryman you would be fine so long as MOST was activated already. Once you have the DA3 then there is no need for any other piece in the system. Your MOST would already be running if you have a CDC or Bluetooth phone kit already or an existing MOST amp.

3) "If the Mobridge DA2 is just plug and play"

Essentially it is so long as your MOST is active. All you need is power and ground and the optical connection and you're done. It's the quickest and easiest route to clean 8 channels of output.

kind regards,

mObridge

Old 02-07-2017, 05:11 AM
MajorTom
Neutral
Question Does it work with the DAB+ unit as well (same yr & model)?

I have just obtained the DAB+ mObridge unit, as Norway is closing FM broadcasts nationwide this year. Will this work as well on a 2013 R60 CiC unit without coding?
From the thread below, it seems likely.

Best regards,

Tom

Originally Posted by mObridge
Guys,

Let me answer some questions for you:

1) "I've heard rumors that the cross-over may only be band-pass for the mid-range for example"

This is getting revised in teh next version of the UI due in a weeks time. We're adding band pass and low pass to both the mid range and woofer. The DA3 is a full blown DSP with all the features that you would expect in a DSP and has a very easy to use interface.

2) "Now, if there's a MOST system in the car but no amp, it may still work, but the MOST system would need to be updated with a diagnostic tool"

The DA system, like all the other mObridge products actually self codes itself into the car. If you have a banrd new mini based on the BMW F series platforms with the new NBT systems then you would need a diagnostic machine but for a 2013 Countryman you would be fine so long as MOST was activated already. Once you have the DA3 then there is no need for any other piece in the system. Your MOST would already be running if you have a CDC or Bluetooth phone kit already or an existing MOST amp.

3) "If the Mobridge DA2 is just plug and play"

Essentially it is so long as your MOST is active. All you need is power and ground and the optical connection and you're done. It's the quickest and easiest route to clean 8 channels of output.

kind regards,

mObridge

Old 02-09-2017, 05:46 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Love to hear how this goes, still not 100% thrilled with stereo in MINI.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:20 AM
MajorTom
Neutral
Update: After removing quite a few dash panels, screws and wires, I finnally managed to remove the radio. It looked like in the pictures, and it was easy to dismantle the fiber optics. I switched all the dip switches to sat radio mode and hooked everything up to the battery switched ignition on. Everything fired like it was supposed to, apart from the DAB radio not showing (as sat radio) in the radio menu. Nothing seemed to be wrong. Swapped the fibers and tried again. No result! It didn't even react when I tested the switch. Anyone with a bright idea???

Update NO 2: Rewired everything, updated the unit with the latest software, called mObridge: no change. The DAB unit allows updating and it will retransmit MOST signals, as it should.
I have then booked a coding session at a dealership in Bergen, who will use Bimmertech to recode my headunit. CROSSING ALL MY FINGERS!!! Will update this IF SUCCESS/FAIL next week!

Update NO 3: FAIL
Bimmertech coded the car and IT WORKS! Search, everything pops up right away in the display. The only sad thing: ABSOLUTELY NO SOUND! Tried a replacement unit; same issue! Everything works but NO sound at all. FM radio works, Mini connected/COMBOX works as normal. Seriously I have NO clue! Anyone? (Bimmertech spent about 3.5 hours on this one, with all possible configs) I am devastated! Any advise will be greatly appreiciated!

Update NO 4:
Frustration emerging! The helpdesk at mObridge provided some tools to log what is going on. Apparently the logging tool shows that the mObridge is providing sound data to the system, but for some (odd) reason, the HU refuses to decode and play the sound. I think Julian Merritt at Fiberdyne Systems has done an outstanding job here, although I am very close to total surrender, having wasted time and good money on something that seems to be a total failure :-( I whish it had worked, i looks nice, and seems to be a brilliant solution. Anyway: final result will be posted...whenever I solve the challenge.

Update NO 5:
mObridge engineer arrived in Norway. He has figured out that there is something odd going on in the Countryman CIC: (a novice explaining) Apparently the DAB unit is found, but after allocating sound channel, the allocation gets "destroyed". A workaround, using an amp in the network proved that there was nothing wrong with the mObridge ability to produce sound. Knowing how much they are doing at mObridge in order to make this work, I am more than happy to wait till they have looked into the problem, and hopefully produced a SW-fix.
For what its worth: Very happy with the customer support so far!

Last edited by MajorTom; 06-13-2017 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Update
Old 03-09-2018, 06:08 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Real curious if this was ever resolved MajorTom???

The sound in my 2013 Countryman is far worse than the stock system in our 2008 Honda CRV. That's a horrible thing to admit to but it's true. I'd love to upgrade the Mini CM sound system and maintain the factory head unit.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:40 AM
MajorTom
Neutral
Thumbs down Never resolved

Originally Posted by tominizer
Real curious if this was ever resolved MajorTom???

The sound in my 2013 Countryman is far worse than the stock system in our 2008 Honda CRV. That's a horrible thing to admit to but it's true. I'd love to upgrade the Mini CM sound system and maintain the factory head unit.
Hi again, DA2 (and 3) works fine with this one. Tried and tested! But not aquired.
Regardless; you should opt for it if you have the option. I had the mObridge techies up from Melbourne AUSTRAILA to look at my vehichle who refused to sound MOST signals from mObridge DAB. That part never got resolved- except over external AMP, then again, DAB is not an issue in the US. Be aware; You will probably have to do som programming. Then, there are the speakers.
These links might be handy for your upgrade:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-mobridge.html
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r60-cooper-sd-sav/
browse

Good Luck!

Old 03-14-2018, 07:07 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
MajorTom

If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up going with to resolve your audio concerns with the Countryman?? What setup are you running?

Old 03-14-2018, 07:27 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
When I researched my audio upgrades the owner of Integral Audio (Kevin) told me that the MOST system had nothing to do with the audio in my F56. Sure enough replaced amp with a JL Audio unit and replace all the speakers with BavSound. I never bothered with my Countryman but I assumed it was a similar set up as it has the same audio Coding from MINI 674 option.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:17 PM
MajorTom
Neutral
Default to original sound setup with a swap radio with an adapter (instead of re-softing the radio).
My intention was to install a digital audio broadcast (DAB) radio. This can be done by installing a SAT-RADIO replacement (emulator) from mObridge. It just got too expensive all in all, so the project was abanddoned and parts sold. Sorry.
This looks like the setup I tried: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ine=1499628413