North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Navigation/Audio (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/navigation-audio-364/)
-   -   Navigation & Audio armrest with iphone adapter changed from 30 pin to lightning (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/navigation-audio/256750-armrest-with-iphone-adapter-changed-from-30-pin-to-lightning.html)

mrgentleminh 08-23-2013 07:26 PM

armrest with iphone adapter changed from 30 pin to lightning

3 Attachment(s)
soo got my new MCCM, and it had a spot for the iphone 4 adapter.. and i have a iphone 5, sooo i decided.. lets take this out and swap it out for an iphone charge in the arm rest instead!

1) took out the arm rest
2) took out the adapter wiring component
3) sawed off the extruding pieces
4) gaffer taped the holes so it looks clean
5) put everything back into place
6) run that wire to the mini connected usb with an extension.

mrgentleminh 08-23-2013 07:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
more pics

y8s 08-27-2013 06:30 AM

if anyone wants to try this I have a nearly new iphone 4 adapter dock thing I could let go of cheap. android phone never fit it :)

ASKtheteach 08-27-2013 08:56 AM

I got an e-mail from the dealer that MINI will be releasing a Lightning Y cable and the snap in iPhone 5 adapter very shortly (supposedly sometime in September).

14PacemanS 08-27-2013 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by ASKtheteach (Post 3800200)
I got an e-mail from the dealer that MINI will be releasing a Lightning Y cable and the snap in iPhone 5 adapter very shortly (supposedly sometime in September).

So it's delayed again....last I read it was due out in August.

daveox 05-20-2016 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by mrgentleminh (Post 3798342)
soo got my new MCCM, and it had a spot for the iphone 4 adapter.. and i have a iphone 5, sooo i decided.. lets take this out and swap it out for an iphone charge in the arm rest instead!

1) took out the arm rest

Reviving this old thread - can you tell me how you got the sides off of the armrest to access the clips? Don't want to snap anything. Thx.

PtMini 10-22-2016 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by mrgentleminh (Post 3798342)

1) took out the arm rest

How is this holding up?
To clean up step 4, you can always use felt tape. It will give it an OE appearance.:thumbsup:
Anyway, good job - PtMini

PtMini 10-22-2016 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by daveox (Post 4209424)
Reviving this old thread - can you tell me how you got the sides off of the armrest to access the clips? Don't want to snap anything. Thx.

Remember that Minis are a real life snap-tight model with a few torx here and there.:thumbsup: