Navigation & Audio Why Not a MINI Connected App Contest?

Old 12-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why Not a MINI Connected App Contest?

Ok MINI Connected folks, this has been the subject of my musing off and on for the last couple of months. Please remember this is just a concept, NOT a plan. Perhaps with some constructive dialogue, MINI might consider entertaining the idea in more depth.

The Idea:

A MINI-sponsored app contest for owners to develop MINI Connected apps.

The Prize: ?

The Overview:

Folks (owners) with program development experience would create MINI Connected programs to enhance the experience/value of the MINI Connected product. MINI would make the programs available online for owners to try out. Owners would then rate the apps (similar to methods currently used in online app stores). At the end of the contest period, MINI would choose a number of "winning" apps to include in the next distribution of their MINI Connected app (or via a "plug-in scheme discussed below). The authors of the winning apps would be awarded some prize.

The Sketchy Details:

- Contestants would need to have developer experience on the various mobile platforms that MINI may support (ok, we have Apple...). Somehow MINI would need to "register" contestants and be assured of their qualifications.

- MINI (Seimens) would need to create an Application Programming Interface (API) to "shield" the core MINI Connected code. The API would allow access to MINI Connected routines for providing sensor data and allowing app to utilize the MINI Connected screen for output display.

- Some kind of MINI Connected "Emulator" program would need to be developed so that contestants could develop their apps and test them in a controlled and accessible environment.

- Other considerations ???

My sense tells me that this would:

(1) ultimately enhance the MINI Connected experience by including a variety of apps; not just the MINI (Seimens) generated ones;

(2) escalate demand for the MINI Connected option by virtue of its wide array of apps utilizing the central display;

(3) offload the app development tasks (after the construction of the API) to the public rather than utilizing in-hose developers and incurring the development costs.

I'm not sure MINI would want to get involved in supporting a revenue stream back to the developer...unless it could be handled by using existing online app stores. In that scenario, you would purchase a MINI Connected "plug-in" app that would only run in the MINI Connected environment.

Thoughts????

Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
You mentioned Siemens a few times, but I don't think they have any involvement. I'm pretty sure that MINI Connected (and BMW Connected) were developed in-house, largely by the BMW Technology Group here in Silicon Valley.

This article is over a year old, but it will give you some idea of BMW's operation: http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/10/18/bm...nter-in-china/

Last edited by rkw; 12-06-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
{snip}... by the BMW Technology Group here in Silicon Valley...{snip}
Interesting! I stand connected...er...corrected.

It may still be a viable idea, though...

Old 12-06-2012, 03:54 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice idea, but it will never happen. i would at least like to change the color of driving excitment gauges to the color i want instead of always blue. i wish the display had the ability to scroll through screen saver images. i also wish the display had cool psychadelic effects like window media player when music is playing. how about a equalizer in the dispay. there are tons of possibilities

Old 12-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Yoastie
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great idea!

...and it could happen...

Old 12-16-2012, 10:00 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
boost meter option in driving excitement. i know if people can crack and make apps for the iphone, this is also possible. a new mini cooper cydia app contest? lol

Old 12-16-2012, 11:33 PM
keal
1st Gear
Equalizer would be sweet! Also faster access to USB flash memory folders. Try listening to a song, then decide you want to hear a song in another folder. Might as well pull to the side of the road, this'll take awhile with the joystick...

The screen is pretty useless while driving, other than displaying music artwork. so visual enhancements like screensavers or some such would really make sense.

At the very least, it would be nice for MINI to have some sort of feedback page where people can make suggestions, and get meaningful software updates!

Old 12-30-2012, 12:53 PM
worrynot
1st Gear
How do we get access the BMW Idrive/Mini Connected SDK?

Old 12-30-2012, 02:04 PM
keal
1st Gear
Searching on the term 'mini connected sdk' brought up a simple article:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2012/07/...ini-to-follow/

Apparently there's an SDK that can be used to create apps for the iPhone and Android phones. Since BMW is releasing this, I think that's as far as they will go. For modifying the car's Mini Connected system, I doubt that will ever materialize as an open source package.

How far you can go with apps having a visual impact on the Connected display I have no idea, maybe someone has a webpage with info on what can be done with iPhone and Android apps.

Would be nice to have Android apps that could work through Bluetooth, and add things like EQ functions, maybe some visual screensavers, even USB folder navigation. Those things would be amazing!