Navigation & Audio I didn't know SIRI works!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:13 AM
sn0wcrash
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't know SIRI works!!!!

Holy AWESOME!!!!

Siri for the iPhone works. Not sure if this has been mentioned before but SIRI works flawless. (well at least all day yesterday being my first and only day with the car).

I only have the H/K upgrade and Bluetooth. (No MiniConnect, no NAV) So I paired the iPhone 4s, used the supplied Y-Cable and everything was working as it should. Call would come in, music shuts off, call ends, music comes back on, streaming of music, iTunes, etc.

Well just to see what happened I pressed and held the home button on the iPhone and boom!!! Music turns off and SIRI "ding" comes over the speakers. I say "Call dad cell" and it replies "Call dad mobile" and it starts ringing! Awesome I think. Next I hear my phone "ding" with a txt. Press and hold the home button "ding" "Read new text" replies "1 new txt from _____ " and proceeds to read the txt to me! I press and hold the home button "ding" "Send txt to dad "pause" dad sending you a txt from the car. please reply with a message when you get this" and of course SIRI reads it back, asks to send I say "Yes" and it worked!!!

Nothing special needed, no "setting up a phonebook" no training it to do anything. This was off the lot and on the way home in traffic. Factory settings for everything in the Mini. (other then pairing the iPhone before I left the dealer).

Haven't seen anything about SIRI mentioned and how it's basically fully functional.

My only gripe is that damn Y-Cable is WAY too short and doesn't click in if you have the Apple bumper on your phone. Other then that it was a great treat stumble upon.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Bazinga
1st Gear
Now I'm glad I didn't get the nav system. With turn by turn directions coming with the next iOS upgrade, Siri will be all I need. I did get MINI Connected but didn't shell out the extra for the nav system. I just ordered my Countryman and cannot wait till my baby is born and makes its way across the pond.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:16 PM
sn0wcrash
2nd Gear
Yeah I'm such a techie I always stay away from NAV and MiniConnet type of things. Depending on how long you have the car they can get dated quick and with most having bluetooth or USB most of that stuff is handled better by phones or portable devices. Not knocking the NAV or techie stuff autos offer just not for me. The siri thing was a HUGE plus. Now just need a longer Y-cable and a good place to mount the phone for GPS.

BTW I have iOS6 beta on my phone and if they work out the bugs it's going to be sweet!!!! Esp with turn by turn.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wait till there is a SIRI button on the steering wheel

Old 07-12-2012, 05:24 PM
sn0wcrash
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mojito
wait till there is a SIRI button on the steering wheel
I was thinking that somehow there has to be a way to make the phone button or mouth button to now work for a long siri press. I'm sure it could be done easy just with a software update or some type of relay mod. I'd rather have one of em work for Siri and not the Mini stuff any day of the week!!

Old 07-21-2012, 06:36 AM
mct
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Does SIRI work if you have MINI Connected?

Old 07-21-2012, 08:35 AM
sn0wcrash
2nd Gear
Don't know but I would assume so because I don't have connected and it works.

Just have bluetooth and the Y-cable. When its connected up I just press and hold the home button on the iPhone and she comes over the speakers and can hear me through the Mini's mic. It's pretty awesome for reading/sending txts and making phone calls.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:43 AM
mct
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The y cable comes with the Bluetooth USB/iPod adapter from MINI?

Old 07-21-2012, 09:18 AM
noreen99
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mct
Does SIRI work if you have MINI Connected?
Siri works with mini connected

Old 07-21-2012, 09:37 AM
sn0wcrash
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mct
The y cable comes with the Bluetooth USB/iPod adapter from MINI?
Yup

Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 AM
sixer
2nd Gear
awesome, this made it much easier for me to call someone while driving now. I didn't realize that it would work.

on a side note, is it just my cable, or is it nearly impossible to get the y cable to click into the iphone and not worry about the cable slipping out whenever u pick up the phone? I have tried it with and without a case, and it just doesn't seem to want to click in and lock

Old 07-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Ragnar4841
2nd Gear
I hadn't tried Siri, but I'll give it a go. I have set up the Voice Dialing in the MINI, and I must say it works very well. Push the speak button on the steering well, follow the voice prompts and you're talking. Way better than the system in my wife's Outback. I've actually never set voice dialing up on my iPhone--now I may not need to.

I've gotten used to the in-stereo iPod controls--no problems there.

Loving the Sirius radio. I've never had it before.

All in all, a satisfied customer here with the standard radio + bluetooth iPod connector. Same complaints about the shorty Y cable though.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:46 PM
MCJoe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sn0wcrash
Yeah I'm such a techie I always stay away from NAV and MiniConnet type of things. Depending on how long you have the car they can get dated quick and with most having bluetooth or USB most of that stuff is handled better by phones or portable devices. Not knocking the NAV or techie stuff autos offer just not for me. The siri thing was a HUGE plus. Now just need a longer Y-cable and a good place to mount the phone for GPS.

BTW I have iOS6 beta on my phone and if they work out the bugs it's going to be sweet!!!! Esp with turn by turn.
Does the iOS6 beta have turn by turn navigation? I was shocked when going from Android to iPhone that I no longer had this feature in my phone. I downloaded Mapquest app, and it's not bad, but a native app that would work with Siri would be much better.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:11 PM
kconner5
4th Gear
I use Siri every day to text people and call people, ask her where to hide dead body's (try that one if you haven't yet... She's really funny), and I ask her if she loves me, all the usuals haha

I really must commend her with all the patience she has with me... If she was real, I'd be slapped in the face 50 times a day hahaha

Kyle

Old 08-04-2012, 06:25 PM
sn0wcrash
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MCJoe
Does the iOS6 beta have turn by turn navigation? I was shocked when going from Android to iPhone that I no longer had this feature in my phone. I downloaded Mapquest app, and it's not bad, but a native app that would work with Siri would be much better.
Yes iOS 6 has turn by turn nav with voice.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:25 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold
I hadn't tried Siri, but I'll give it a go. I have set up the Voice Dialing in the MINI, and I must say it works very well. Push the speak button on the steering well, follow the voice prompts and you're talking. Way better than the system in my wife's Outback. I've actually never set voice dialing up on my iPhone--now I may not need to.

I've gotten used to the in-stereo iPod controls--no problems there.

Loving the Sirius radio. I've never had it before.

All in all, a satisfied customer here with the standard radio + bluetooth iPod connector. Same complaints about the shorty Y cable though.
get one of the extension cables off of amazon, they work great and give me enough length that I am ordering a dash mounted phone holder.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:14 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
All good info to know, thank you! I love Siri. Glad to know that she can dial the phone.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:37 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sn0wcrash
Yes iOS 6 has turn by turn nav with voice.
Are you running the last iOS6 build? For whatever reason I don't have voice on the Nav, maybe because I don't have a 4S?

Michael

Old 08-14-2012, 08:23 PM
sn0wcrash
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pyrrhusmj
Are you running the last iOS6 build? For whatever reason I don't have voice on the Nav, maybe because I don't have a 4S?

Michael
Yeah I do, I don't think the 4 has Siri turn by turn voice guidance because the 4 doesn't have Siri.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:56 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
I downloaded a turn by turn voice nav app but it costs a little per month to keep the voice part. (otherwise it is a trial period) It's called TeleNav GPS plus and it's pretty good. Had a few glitches in the downtown Phoenix area, kept recalculating for some reason, but those things happen.

Siri plus bluetooth is super! Don't need the cable if you are just dialing the phone with Siri plus bluetooth. The other awesome thing that I am hooked on is Pandora, which is a music provider. Download Pandora (free, but has a few commercials... paid version has no commercials) Make your own 'radio station' by telling it one of your favorite artists. Then it guesses what other artists you like, based on a lot of testing of people's preferences. If you don't like a song, hit the thumbs down button and it never plays again. If you do like a song, hit the thumbs up button and it will play that once in a while, plus use it to guess other music that you would like. Make as many radio stations as you want (I currently have ten) and it live streams the music. Pretty cool, but it does use some of your data plan. Plug it in with the y cable, and your phone will play it through your radio, etc. (select "ipod" from the menu on the radio)

Old 08-21-2012, 12:07 PM
TheKenster
Neutral
Originally Posted by JoanieB
I downloaded a turn by turn voice nav app but it costs a little per month to keep the voice part. (otherwise it is a trial period) It's called TeleNav GPS plus and it's pretty good. Had a few glitches in the downtown Phoenix area, kept recalculating for some reason, but those things happen.

Siri plus bluetooth is super! Don't need the cable if you are just dialing the phone with Siri plus bluetooth. The other awesome thing that I am hooked on is Pandora, which is a music provider. Download Pandora (free, but has a few commercials... paid version has no commercials) Make your own 'radio station' by telling it one of your favorite artists. Then it guesses what other artists you like, based on a lot of testing of people's preferences. If you don't like a song, hit the thumbs down button and it never plays again. If you do like a song, hit the thumbs up button and it will play that once in a while, plus use it to guess other music that you would like. Make as many radio stations as you want (I currently have ten) and it live streams the music. Pretty cool, but it does use some of your data plan. Plug it in with the y cable, and your phone will play it through your radio, etc. (select "ipod" from the menu on the radio)
If you have connected, hook the iphone up to the cable. Launch Pandoa, and set the phone down. Pandora will show up on the dash display under "radio". You have full control of the app and it displays the album art as well. Pretty cool!

Old 03-12-2014, 12:42 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
--

Last edited by walk0080; 06-05-2018 at 01:03 PM.