Navigation & Audio tech package with no voice dial

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:36 PM
DarylCognito
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tech package with no voice dial

My CM was a couple of weeks late so I picked it up for the weekend but took it back today so they could finish the protection pack.

While I had it, I noted the voice button on the steering wheel was dead. They checked it out and submitted a compliant. This was the response they got.

Vehicles built with MiNi Visual Boost 6FP as part of the TEchnology Package and Media Connect (Includes Bluetooth and USB Audio integration 6ND) between (SOP) 09/01/10 up to 04/01/11 do not iclude Option Code 620 to enable Voice Control when activated from the steering wheel control.

Vehicles manufactured after 04/01/11 will have Voice Activation (620) included in the Technology Package.
Now they can set up but the part is 550 plus 3 hours labour. I'm pretty ticked off because I thought I did a lot of research on the tech package to make sure the only thing different than the nav pack was the navigation. I've search this and other forum and can't seem to find anyone else with the same issue.

I spent the extra money on the tech package specifically for the voice dialling and the iphone integration. So far the base Cooper they lent me for a couple of weeks had better bluetooth and iphone controls.

So my questions are, has anyone else notices this and did the dealer tell them up front? Is this only a Canadian thing? I'm planning to complain to BMW anyone have any tips?

Sorry for such a negative post. I love the car and this isn't a deal breaker, just want to get a idea if other have had similar issues.

(crap, just notice this in the modification forum and not simply audio, sorry could a mod please move)
Daryl

Last edited by DarylCognito; 05-09-2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: wrong forum
Old 05-10-2011, 04:53 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Is Option Code 620 listed on your order/build sheet?

Old 05-10-2011, 05:43 AM
DarylCognito
1st Gear
I'm not sure, I have my bill of sale but not the build sheet. I'll see if the dealer can send it to me.

I doubt it though, and even if it is and I had seen it when ordering I don't think I would have know that it referred to the voice button.

Last edited by DarylCognito; 05-10-2011 at 05:44 AM. Reason: addition
Old 05-13-2011, 10:08 AM
shutterspeed
Neutral
Daryl,

Same issue here with the tech package. I was told it was disabled for now and assumed it would be enabled with a future update becasue of the "for now".

Have you been able to use the office feature in the tech pack? i cant see the txt messages etc...

Seb.

Last edited by shutterspeed; 05-13-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:21 AM
DarylCognito
1st Gear
I think I norrowed it down to having the wrong parts

Apparently the snap in I have is charging only but since the iPhone Bluetooth audio profile sucks.

I've asked the dealer to find these parts

snap in******** 84212199392

Cable*61122179623
Daryl

Old 05-13-2011, 10:24 AM
shutterspeed
Neutral
Daryl,

I have the Iphone USB connector (The latest Y cable) and the feature is also disabled.

It would appear that the vehicles built before 03/2011 have different characteristics then the one after. The latest one requires the Snap-In adapter to work with all iphone4 features.

Have you seen this:
MINI Connected support page:
"Can I use Mission Control while the iPhone is connected with the video/audio adapter cable for Apple iPod/iPhone (MINI accessory)?
In MINI cars with option SA6NE (Bluetooth mobile preparation with USB Audio Interface), produced 03/2011 and later, this feature currently only works in the snap-in adapter (MINI accessory). In MINI cars produced before 03/2011 or without the option SA6NE, Mission Control can be used with the video/audio adapter cable for Apple iPod/iPhone."

Seb.

Last edited by shutterspeed; 05-13-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:42 PM
DarylCognito
1st Gear
Sorry, mixed up my threads, thought I was talkin bout audio cable not voice.

My CM needs the snap in for mission control, now if I could just get the right snap in.

shutterspeed, I've got a support ticket open with mini connectivity, I'm hoping the can confirm the part number then direct me where to get one. The dealer is in the dark. What I don't get is why the right cable didn't ship with the car. Why did the dealer have to supply the cable?

Old 05-14-2011, 07:08 AM
shutterspeed
Neutral
It depends on the production code. I believe it came with mine because i have a pre 03/11 model.

I have a 12/2010 R60 production code ZC53.

Cooper S All4 that is called the MINI countryman cooper SX in USA.

You can check your production code on the realoem web site using the last 7 digits of your VIN at:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Either way there seems to be one thing consistent. For now the dealers part departments are totally clueless about this and need to refer to MINI for assistance. There doesn't seem to be any clear documentation available for them.

I will get to the bottom of it. I asked the dealer to order the Iphone 4 Snap-In and will remove the console to check it for myself. I will figure a way to make it work.

The way i see this there are currently two possibilities:
1) Built before or after 03/11

You have the option to use all features with the "Y" cable. You can also use the "regular" Apple white charge/Sync cable with less functionality.

The Snap-In adapter for Iphone 4 doesn't seem to work with this model as it seems to require a special connector under the console that is only available with the later models. I was told you can only charge and listen to music with it but i am waiting for confirmation from MINI.

To resume : Only made to work with "Y" cable or 3GS snap-in. Will require magic to use the Iphone 4 snap-in.

2) Built after 03/11
You can charge and listen to music through the USB port but require the Iphone4 Snap-In adapter for advanced functionality like Mission Control.

I haven't figured what is missing for the voice recognition button to work yet. I am planning a trip to the dealer this week to have a talk with the dealer about this. If i am to rip it apart for connecting gizmo's i might as well do it only once

I will let you know what i find out!

Old 05-14-2011, 12:39 PM
DarylCognito
1st Gear
If figure with enough people looking into it we'll figure out.

Re the Voice, apparently it needs a 500$ plus part and 3 hours labour.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:45 AM
JoeCSD
Neutral
My production date was 4/3/2011 so mine is one of the first (?) for this feature to "work". Let me just say that after messing with it for the past 45 minutes, I am NOT impressed at all with voice activated dialing. First, to familiarize myself with the commands I spoke HELP and learned the 6 or 7 prompts that it recognizes. Apparently you must build a voice phonebook within the car as mine was empty. First you must save a name then add a number to it. After repeated attempts with the SAVE NAME command, it eventually will save it. The system asks for a name, then asks you to repeat it. If the names differ or it doesn't hear you it simply shuts off with a polite message saying just that. So, after REPEATED attempts to program a couple of names, I would say that this feature is seriously flawed. Not only did I have to shout for the microphone to hear me, I had to repeat this process at least 10 times before it would save my first name. This was done in a quiet environment with the windows up, so there was no extraneous noise to interfere. OK, so after about 15 minutes of screwing around with it, the system finally accepts the name, the repeat of the name and the telephone number I gave it. Mind you, at any point the system can and will reject your entry and just shut down without further warning. Unbelievable. And its not because the microphone volume is way down, when I've used the integrated bluetooth option and made phone calls, people at the other end of the call say the sound quality is exceptionally good! So I don't get it. Any further information about this would be greatly appreciated. I am not even sure if all the hard work at getting 2 names and numbers in tonight are even going to still be there when I attempt to use it tomorrow.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:51 PM
DarylCognito
1st Gear
I now have the right Y cable. Salesman dropped one off at my house last night. (yes, he delivered it to me!)

Works great for everything except the minimalist and mission control. I love the plug in feature which brings the full function of the ipod to the screen.

I've ordered the right snap in connector at 268$ cnd (WTF) Seriously, with a kia I expect to pay extra for a feature to work, but this is supposed to be a premium car, I bought the tech package, the snap in should come with it.

Now on to the voice issue and figure out office and why it won't show any thing but contacts.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:25 AM
shutterspeed
Neutral
In order to use Minimalist and mission control you have to select the option in the iphone Mini connected apps. It can either be Web radio OR Minimalist and mission control.

Seb.