Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Anyone Got a Garmin NUVI MINI.srf file?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Anyone Got a Garmin NUVI MINI.srf file?

It would be nice to have one so you could modify your Garmin with the MINI of your choice.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:55 PM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have the SRF file but I did order the Nuvi as an accessory with my R56. According to several peeps on here it has some special touches for the mini as well as a custom mounting Bracket that mounts on the tac. I take delivery on Friday so I'll let yall know what's "Mini" special about it.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're a wee bit ambitious, this might help:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...TOPIC_ID=78125

Old 04-03-2007, 08:31 PM
minimaximini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you get it delivered...

...can you please show us the mounting system pictures? I heard contradictory info from my MA: that it hooks on teh dashboard or it hooks on the back of the tachometer, that it is a screwed-in mount or it is a suction cup - noone knows for sure.

Still - the most sought-after "item" is the SRF file that is in nuvi/Garmin/vehicles/ directory. It is a 1.2 MB file (it compresses really well - down to few hundred KBs) and it shows our belowed car icon with checkered top.

To my knowledge - noone has it yet - so we are looking for a "donor".

MMM

Old 04-04-2007, 05:36 AM
blalor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimaximini
Still - the most sought-after "item" is the SRF file that is in nuvi/Garmin/vehicles/ directory. It is a 1.2 MB file (it compresses really well - down to few hundred KBs) and it shows our belowed car icon with checkered top.

To my knowledge - noone has it yet - so we are looking for a "donor".
Are you using the royal "we", 3M? I swear you're the only person I've ever seen ask for that file.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:58 AM
minimaximini
3rd Gear
We... the emperor of my own MINI kingdom...

...would refer you, humble free thinker - to the top of the thread. "We" think that a bunch of other Garmin users would really enjoy it. "We" think that even "Blalor the Usurper" because he read this thread - he might be interested too.

H.R.M. MMM

Old 04-04-2007, 08:01 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Once someone gets their MINI branded NUVI - plug it in to your computer and look under the vehicles directory - I'm almost certain you can copy the file to your PC and distribute to the masses.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:13 AM
Mini-hound
5th Gear
If you already own a nuvi, do you know if they are going to sell just mounts that are wired dealer installed and wired into the electrical system of will we have to still plug into the lighter.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:55 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by blalor
Are you using the royal "we", 3M? I swear you're the only person I've ever seen ask for that file.
I'm waiting on a copy of it as well for our Garmin Nuvi units (350 & 660). I think there's also been some talk about it over on www.nuvipassion.com.

As for getting the dealer-installed mount separately, keep in mind that the various Nuvi models don't all take the same mount. I know the 350 and 360 take the same mount (the MINI unit is a re-badged 360), but the 660/670 do *not* use the same mount as the 350/360. The card-edge connector for the 660 is wider and has more electrical connections than the connector for the 350/360.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:22 AM
blalor
6th Gear
I think the dealer will be happy to sell the part, once they know what the part number is. As I said in the other thread, Dave, the parts guy at MINI of Peabody, looked for a couple of hours for me and came up empty. He wasn't able to divine from the parts database that there even *was* a MINI-specific part. I'm happy that someone's taken the plunge, however, so we should know soon.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:19 PM
z3bum
5th Gear
*Mike starts chanting* "Upload the srf, upload the srf!" The NUVI for MINI has a special splash screen and little MINIs as its cars. I have one of the splash screens, but no srfs. I do have the Smart Car srf which looks kind of like a MINI! Can't wait to hear about this.

Originally Posted by wildone3c
I don't have the SRF file but I did order the Nuvi as an accessory with my R56. According to several peeps on here it has some special touches for the mini as well as a custom mounting Bracket that mounts on the tac. I take delivery on Friday so I'll let yall know what's "Mini" special about it.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:02 PM
BBCooper
3rd Gear
Just checking

Have you all found this site.. link

Here are the Nuvi MINI Icons...

Not all the MINI colors... But I am hoping to find an Indi Blue version somewhere..

Enjoy

Old 11-09-2007, 03:35 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Like this one...

Old 11-09-2007, 03:41 PM
BBCooper
3rd Gear
If that is a Garmin srf file.. yes!!!!

Please confirm.. and if you are willing to share..
I will PM over my direct email address for a copy...

Thanks

Old 11-09-2007, 03:49 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
No, sorry it's not a SRF file but it was created from one at one point.

This is a SRF file that I hacked in order to use on the 1st gen MINI OEM nav system (the color came after the hack). I'd love to do the same with the 2nd gen MINI OEM nav system as well, but apparently MINI has locked the firmware down so that only dealers can update it. A real shame.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:48 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Hmm... It looks like the following color changes could be made quite easily to the existing MINI Vehicle Icon SRF files. If/When I can find the time, I'll try converting them into SRF files.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:04 PM
BBCooper
3rd Gear
Cool

That looks great... What software and "tricks" are you using to change the colors???

I have been trying photoshop - but I am not able to select the body color easily.

Then to get picky, I would be inetersted in one with a sun roof look..

Thanks

Old 11-10-2007, 08:47 PM
BBCooper
3rd Gear
Woo hooo!!!! .. I got my MINI in the Nuvi.

I used GIMP (freeware image editor) and adjusted the color levels till I got the Indi Blue I wanted... GIMP was the key since it does not mess up the transparent layer (PS did).. Added a few "extras" to match my mini.. converted to the srf format... and BINGO..

Well just had to share...

I still have the challenge to add the sun roof...

Old 11-10-2007, 10:52 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Sweet! Glad to hear that you got it.

I actually use a great little program (which is also free) called Paint.NET. It works a treat with stuff like this.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:18 PM
kevinminict
4th Gear
I have the .SRF files on mine. Im at work though So I cant post them.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking for a little help here. I have a set of MINI .srf cars. I have found a program to convert them to .png. I have downloaded "Paint.net". I have painted the checker out and left just white. But just like doing it in Photoshop, when I convert the file back from .png to .srf, and then load it into my Nuvi 360, I still get a white (non-transparent) box around the car. The top is white like it is supposed to, but I am not preserving the alpha transparency...

Can anyone help me with preserving the alpha transparency?

thanks,

YD

Old 11-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
BBCooper, I sent you a PM asking details about your work in GIMP.

thanks

YD

Old 11-11-2007, 05:33 PM
rlnewby
2nd Gear
I don't have a nuvi yet. It is on my list.

I used a little Google-foo to find this post.

Which leads to this converter site for srf to png and back again. I tried it with the files posted earlier in the thread and it worked.

All I ask is if some one would be so kind as to color change a file to BRG/black

Old 11-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
I use that site... I wonder if the conversion process is changing my alpha transparent background to white?

YD

If I can figure out how to keep a white square from happening, I'll do custom mods to the srf files and post them.

YD

Old 11-11-2007, 10:32 PM
BBCooper
3rd Gear
Yo's Dad - Got your PM and sent reply...

Looking at previous posts.. I think your issue is with PShop...Don't know why but I had the same problem with PShop and PNG format.. it would mess up the alpha channel... A funny "trick" is to open the PShop edited file in GIMP and resave.. it seems to clean up the alpha channel.. But I found editing in GIMP very similar to PShop and GIMP opens much faster...

Maybe that helps...

Originally Posted by Yo'sDad
Looking for a little help here. I have a set of MINI .srf cars. I have found a program to convert them to .png. I have downloaded "Paint.net". I have painted the checker out and left just white. But just like doing it in Photoshop, when I convert the file back from .png to .srf, and then load it into my Nuvi 360, I still get a white (non-transparent) box around the car. The top is white like it is supposed to, but I am not preserving the alpha transparency...

Can anyone help me with preserving the alpha transparency?

thanks,

YD

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Anyone Got a Garmin NUVI MINI.srf file?