Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Call me crazy: Nutty stereo upgrade via dealer (w/pics!)

Old 04-26-2007, 10:46 AM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the same thing actually (it will make a difference there). The question I have would be how the molded carpet piece fits. The floor is far from flat and the carpet might have a structure to it that fits those contours so the v-comp would not be a good idea. I'd say that a good step would be to look at how the carpet goes down and decide...should be simple to lay some pieces in (a single big piece is better)

Old 04-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PGT
I thought the same thing actually (it will make a difference there). The question I have would be how the molded carpet piece fits. The floor is far from flat and the carpet might have a structure to it that fits those contours so the v-comp would not be a good idea. I'd say that a good step would be to look at how the carpet goes down and decide...should be simple to lay some pieces in (a single big piece is better)
Hmm... maybe I oughta stop by there again tonight.

It should only take 5-10 minutes to cut a couple of pieces to fit... and no messy butyl substrate!

Old 04-26-2007, 11:06 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
..and back to testing music. You young in's need my help...

#1 - Edgar Winter Group - Frankenstein. before all else.
FaceDancer - Red Shoes
Deadato - Jazz version of Also Sprach Zaruthustra
Queen - assorted - Great range, serious channel sep - don't forget "Dragon Attack"!
Italian Job soundtrack - Duh
Micheal Oldfield - Tubular Bells -(became theme to Exorcist)
Some Blood Sweat & Tears
Some Genesis (especially live tracks with Phil & Chester on dual drums sets)
Some Riverdance soundtrack - good drum arrangements
Add / combine a little Supertramp, Styx, ELO, Enigma, Soft Cell, and Copeland's sountrack to the Equalizer... and yup, Blue Man group as someone said. Mix to taste!

Just picked up 4 ten inch subs. Putting two in MINI and two in truck.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:11 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Mark, you are welcome to bring along any music you like to MOTD, and help me test the system. My only rule: NO COUNTRY!

I'll be looking for any excuse to break the system in - 30 hours of playtime before it's fully warmed up!

Old 04-26-2007, 11:11 AM
PGT
Banned
No ELP - "Lucky Man"?? sheesh...what kind of old-timer are you? Even I have that.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by Edge
It occurred to me this morning that perhaps we should have tried to lay out some VComp in the front passenger footwell, all the way up to the back of the dash. Thoughts?

I could go back out there tonight with the extra material...
Originally Posted by PGT
I thought the same thing actually (it will make a difference there).
Originally Posted by Edge
Hmm... maybe I oughta stop by there again tonight.
Update: Yep, I went back to MoS tonight... and cut a couple of pieces of VComp to fit the front footwells. One large piece on each side, with cutouts where necessary. I added a couple more pics to the gallery showing the changes. We'll see if the carpet can fit over the top!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:40 PM
bluzeke
4th Gear
IMPRESSIVE Edge!

What do you estimate the total poundage of all the soundproofing material is at this point? It'll be interesting to see how much LOWER the car sits afterwards! Who'da thunk a sound system would lead to the need for some additional suspension tweaks?!

Old 04-27-2007, 07:31 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by bluzeke
IMPRESSIVE Edge!

What do you estimate the total poundage of all the soundproofing material is at this point? It'll be interesting to see how much LOWER the car sits afterwards! Who'da thunk a sound system would lead to the need for some additional suspension tweaks?!
Hahaha! I'd say the total added weight of all of the soundproofing is 60-65 pounds... but you know what? I'll gladly take that added weight for the benefit gained. Besides, I didn't buy this MINI to be a track car (even though I did take it on a track once), it's a street car, most definitely.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:40 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Edge, can you ask the tech a question for me the next time you speak to him. Is it true that you can only use the DSPM with the boost radio and not an aftermarket radio?

I have the stock radio wiring and adapter but I installed an aftermarket radio. I didn't find out about DPSM until Motoring File ran a story on it and I'm very interested.

Thanks
Matt

Old 04-27-2007, 08:43 AM
PGT
Banned
I didn't get to see the amplifier module while we were working to check the inputs, but I don't see why a competent installed couldn't make the two work together (note - it's not going to be plug-n-play). I've taken speaker leads off a stock radio and soldered on RCA inputs to use an aftermarket amp (caution - the amp was designed to handle this) - making the aftermarket CD work with the DPSM sounds easier.

Edit - I just read through the install doc for the DPSM. It comes with a t-harness for the back of the stock radio, so it should be a snap to make it work with aftermarket. The amp and speakers themselves are nothing unsual in the aftermarket arena. The amp is speaker level in and even comes with an inline fuseholder, just like you'd use for aftermarket gear. No guarantees on this, but I'd be confident it works fine.

Last edited by PGT; 04-27-2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:45 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PassatDoTd
Edge, can you ask the tech a question for me the next time you speak to him. Is it true that you can only use the DSPM with the boost radio and not an aftermarket radio?
Matt,
Go visit GPMINI!
Running perfectly - wonderfully - with an Alpine CDA-9857.
BTW: MINI officially says the DPSM can't be installed in a GP too, so what do they know

Old 04-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
UPDATE: Nooooooooo... it turns out that they're having a devil of a time with the wiring harnesses. The parts they were sent don't match up to what they're supposed to have, and it takes time for them to get more harness parts in (apparently because they are so special/rare, they have to be ordered in from Germany)...

...so I won't have my own MINI at the Dragon.

MoS is going to give me a more exciting loaner than the basic MCSa I have now though. I told them I'd rather have an MC with a manual than an MCSa. Heh. We'll see what they pick - maybe another JCW, or a MINI Mania 220HP they have, or a Dinan, who knows!

I'll be swapping cars out on Monday night.

Dammit. I really wanted to do the drive-in with the DPSM.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:11 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Ok, so forgive me if this is stupid but to clarify, the DPSM doesn't use any power from the head unit (stock or aftermarket) only from the module itself (which pumps 80x4).

Hrmmm.....do this or go aftermarket all around, that is the question. How's the bass on this sucker?

Old 04-27-2007, 03:46 PM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
OOOH I wonder if they will give you a GP! Wouldn't that be CRAZY!!!

Old 04-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by MININurse
OOOH I wonder if they will give you a GP! Wouldn't that be CRAZY!!!
I've jokingly and casually mentioned it... but I seriously doubt that would happen. They do have one that they are trying to sell... and putting 1,000+ miles on it isn't exactly going to help that!

I'll be happy just to get a JCW or the 220HP dealie.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:10 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Hrmmm.....do this or go aftermarket all around, that is the question. How's the bass on this sucker?
The bass on GPMINI is much more impressive now, than it was when only the DPSM was running ...

I'd have been happy with the DPSM performance, if I didn't know what more was possible ...

Old 05-01-2007, 08:22 AM
bluzeke
4th Gear
So what gives EDGE? Where are you on this upgraded loaner and will you get waived on the 100mi./day usage limit? If not, you should've started heading down to Fontana last Friday!

Old 05-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
So what gives EDGE? Where are you on this upgraded loaner and will you get waived on the 100mi./day usage limit? If not, you should've started heading down to Fontana last Friday!
I picked up a new loaner last night. Technically it's not a loaner at all, it's one of their used MINIs that was sitting on the lot. A significant upgrade:
  • 2006 SB/S JCW MCS (yes, with the silver U stripe, just like yours and Alan/Scavenger's)
  • 11,300 miles on it
  • Premium, Sport & Cold Weather packages (no convenience package)
  • Harmon/Kardon stereo
  • OEM SIRIUS receiver
I am very happy with my temporary "loaner". I will be returning it to them early next week and getting a regular loaner again. This is a special deal just for MOTD, to try and make up for the fact my car wasn't done in time.

The three features I will most miss from my MINI:
  • JCW suspension
  • Better wheel/tire combo (this one has S-Lites with all-seasons, mine has JCW wheels & performance tires)
  • Navigation system
But really, I have very little to complain about. Now I'm considering installing one of my old CG-Locks on it, since I won't have my Schroth harness! The main concern with that is scratching up the B-pillar when I'm not wearing the seatbelt...

Old 05-01-2007, 09:07 AM
bluzeke
4th Gear
Holy Crap! You DONE GOOD!

. . . though I'm not sure about that color.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:04 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Edge, got a quote from my dealer to buy and install the DPSM.....

$2,700 after tax.

I told them no thanks. Looks like I'll have to go the aftermarket route and save a grand or two.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Scavenger
6th Gear
Holy Crap! You DONE GOOD!

. . . though I'm not sure about that color.
Yeh, me neither...

Old 05-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Edge, got a quote from my dealer to buy and install the DPSM.....

$2,700 after tax.

I told them no thanks. Looks like I'll have to go the aftermarket route and save a grand or two.
I could have told you that. The MSRP for DPSM kit alone is $1,650.

Once you hear it, you might reconsider.

I wanted total OEM integration, no additional interior space consumed, and no theft risk. The DPSM meets all of that criteria. Oh yeah - and it cranks!

Old 05-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Scavenger
6th Gear
I too have heard the DPSM, and I will say, that for an OEM system, it is absolutely amazing!

Old 05-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't you swap your wheels/tires with the loaners, then when you get back swap them back?

Old 05-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
Can't you swap your wheels/tires with the loaners, then when you get back swap them back?
Running out of time - too much to do before leaving. Besides, I don't think they want to "mess" with the car, it's ready to be sold.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Call me crazy: Nutty stereo upgrade via dealer (w/pics!)