North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Navigation & Audio (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/navigation-and-audio-14/)
-   -   Navigation & Audio iPod display and control (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/navigation-and-audio/85655-ipod-display-and-control.html)

TheVole 11-30-2006 08:46 AM

iPod display and control

Just checking about this, but....

I recently got a new MINI Cooper S Convertible with the iPOD adapter dealer fitted (my last Cooper had the aux input and my wife was fed up with the many trailing wires!).

When I connect my ipod to the adapter I see "Mini OK" and display (on the ipod) and its controls (i.e. center button, wheel) do nothing. I do hear the playlists thru the stereo as expected.

But... is there any way to actually control the ipod from itself (e.g. to select a particular album or podcast, etc)? Some web postings I have read hint at this, but I can't do anything other than use the radio or steering wheel controls to select playlists or jump through tracks.

Am I missing something?

Thanks
Martin

ScottRiqui 11-30-2006 09:07 AM

No, you're not missing anything. The iPod controls are supposed to be disabled when connected to the factory adaptor. I've heard that by re-booting the iPod and connecting it to the adaptor at the right moment during the re-boot, you can maintain control via the iPod itself, but I haven't tried it.
Accessing playlists (five of them, at least) is pretty simple through the radio controls. I just took five of my existing playlists and added "MINIx - " to the beginning of the name, where "x" is a number from 1 to 5. For example, my "Road Tunes" playlist is now "MINI1 - Road Tunes", and "Beach/Island" is now "MINI2 - Beach/Island". By using the 1-5 presets on the radio, you can select from five playlists. Pressing '6' on the radio plays the entire iPod.

Scott

tom @ eas 11-30-2006 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by TheVole (Post 1248429)
Just checking about this, but....

I recently got a new MINI Cooper S Convertible with the iPOD adapter dealer fitted (my last Cooper had the aux input and my wife was fed up with the many trailing wires!).

When I connect my ipod to the adapter I see "Mini OK" and display (on the ipod) and its controls (i.e. center button, wheel) do nothing. I do hear the playlists thru the stereo as expected.

But... is there any way to actually control the ipod from itself (e.g. to select a particular album or podcast, etc)? Some web postings I have read hint at this, but I can't do anything other than use the radio or steering wheel controls to select playlists or jump through tracks.

Am I missing something?

Thanks
Martin

The OEM MINI adapter is very limited in features. The DICE iPod kit will allow the same core functions (steering wheel control, charging and iPOd connectivity) but that's where the similarities end.

DICE iPod Integration Kit for MINI Cooper/Cooper S
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=314

The DICE also allows unlimited Playlists, text display on 05+ MINIs and allows the Clickwheel to remain unlocked for further browsing.

200-OK 11-30-2006 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by TheVole (Post 1248429)

I recently installed the OEM kit (I bought it used) and placed the cable in my Euroshelf. Now that I have easy access to the ipod, I will disconnect the cable, select my playlist, start the playlist, plug back in cable. This works for me just fine. Of course, I don't do this when driving! :nod:

If you haven't purchased the OEM kit, I would probably suggest the DICE kit from what I've read (or maybe a new stereo with iPod input?) But my used kit was a good deal, so I went for it...