Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Making the Nav System shut up

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 12:31 PM
thefurman
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making the Nav System shut up

Hi all,

I just picked up my 2006 Cooper S yesterday morning and I love everything about it except for the fact that I haven't yet found a way to make the nav system shut up when giving directions. I like to listen to music when I drive and the verbal instructions are damn irratating. The British accent helps somewhat, but still

In any case, I'm sure there has to be a way to unplug a wire somewhere to disconnect the damn thing from the stereo system. Has anyone here done this before?

Any help is much appreciated. I did a quick search of the forums and haven't found anything. If this has already been discussed, just point me over to the right thread...

Thanks a lot,

Alex

Old 10-29-2006, 01:25 PM
stottsan
Neutral
Hi, Alex.

If you hold the button down for a couple seconds when on the "Instructions" option, it'll mute the voice, and indicate this setting by showing a red line through the speaker icon. Of course, this only lasts for the current "trip" -- you'll have to do it again next time you get directions.

I'd like a way to change the default setting to mute, and then be able to request the voice when I want it, but... Hope that helps, thanks!

andrew

Old 10-29-2006, 01:31 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by stottsan
If you hold the button down for a couple seconds when on the "Instructions" option, it'll mute the voice, and indicate this setting by showing a red line through the speaker icon. Of course, this only lasts for the current "trip" -- you'll have to do it again next time you get directions.
You're 99% right... but the voice disable lasts until you turn the car off and back on again, not just for the current "trip"... of course in a lot of cases, they are one and the same.

thefurman - just to expand on stottsan's instructions, here are the exact steps:
  1. Set up the directions
  2. While being directed, push the button once. This will bring up the context menu.
  3. Immediately push it a second time (Instructions is already highlighted), but hold it for a few seconds until the icon changes.
That's it!
Originally Posted by stottsan
I'd like a way to change the default setting to mute, and then be able to request the voice when I want it, but...
Yeah, that would be nice. I usually disable the voice too.

Old 10-29-2006, 02:43 PM
thefurman
Neutral
Thanks

Awesome. Thanks a lot for the help. This will do just fine. No if my dealer knew that, it would've saved me a bit of frustration yesterday.

The car's awesome by the way. I've been driving "practical" cars for way too long

Old 01-01-2007, 05:30 PM
MacGuruTX
3rd Gear
I"m assuming you've also figured out that if you terminate the trip it will continue to show the routing on the map, as well as reroute if you miss the turn. You lose the ETA function though.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:22 AM
westport
Neutral
Cannot terminate guidance

Originally Posted by MacGuruTX
I"m assuming you've also figured out that if you terminate the trip it will continue to show the routing on the map, as well as reroute if you miss the turn. You lose the ETA function though.
Do newer versions correct this. It drives me nuts!