Navigation & Audio Android Audio

Old 06-27-2018, 06:49 AM
haibane
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Android Audio

Hey guys, I've been struggling to find a solution to fix the poor support for android by Mini. By default the mini is designed to only support Apple products over USB. I guess this has to do with them picking one of the two standards instead of working on doing both. I'm a bit surprised by this as in 2015, Android far outsold Apple... anyhow off the unrelated topics. When I bought this car, I was unaware that the bluetooth default package didn't include playing and controlling music over bluetooth. I've since found a potential solution for android users without the high end bluetooth option. I am going to try this out https://gromaudio.com/store/accessor...converter.html and get back to you about if it works.

It looks like there are several positive reviews in relation to my device (Google Pixel XL) so I am hopeful.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:05 PM
S_Banks
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, after a lifetime of using ONLY Windows Smartphones... I've switched to an Android One phone the Nokia 6.1. Every single WP I've had right up to my last the HP X3 Elite worked splendidly with both of my MINI's an '09 R56 and my current '17 F55.

But currently using the Nokia, I get voice from the text messages fine, music fine, it's the "Replying" to texts where it falters. It seem as though it's not using the "built-in" mic in the MINI's roof like it did with WP.

I even bought "ReadItToMe 2.0" app in hopes of a better connection, but alas the microphone in the car doesn't seem to be utilized. I refuse to SHOUT "YES!" when asked if I want to reply. Any help is appreciated! BTW... regular Bluetooth no Nav feature in my F55. Just looking for the BT to hear me when responding to "Do you want to reply?" BTW... yes I have the Mic volume for the phone connection turned up.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:50 PM
S_Banks
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Found my solution, in Android 8.1 there's a setting in Dev mode you can set to have BT work in AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) audio. This fixed the problem of communication for text messgaes

Old 07-04-2018, 10:34 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by S_Banks
Found my solution, in Android 8.1 there's a setting in Dev mode you can set to have BT work in AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) audio. This fixed the problem of communication for text messgaes
That's very strange. Text messages and microphone operation should work independently from the Bluetooth audio codec.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:30 PM
gregsbro
Neutral
Originally Posted by haibane
Hey guys, I've been struggling to find a solution to fix the poor support for android by Mini. By default the mini is designed to only support Apple products over USB. I guess this has to do with them picking one of the two standards instead of working on doing both. I'm a bit surprised by this as in 2015, Android far outsold Apple... anyhow off the unrelated topics. When I bought this car, I was unaware that the bluetooth default package didn't include playing and controlling music over bluetooth. I've since found a potential solution for android users without the high end bluetooth option. I am going to try this out https://gromaudio.com/store/accessor...converter.html and get back to you about if it works.

It looks like there are several positive reviews in relation to my device (Google Pixel XL) so I am hopeful.
Did this cable work for you?

Old 01-04-2019, 01:24 PM
haibane
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gregsbro
Did this cable work for you?
Nope

Old 01-04-2019, 01:33 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
I have a 2012 and I had no issue playing and controlling the music over Bluetooth with Android. I have since switched to an apples device and it doesn’t work any better than my old android did! Lol
Mini Connected is laughable and pointless. Plugging the phone in with the usb and audio cable allows the album art to show on the screen and app selection like prime music or Spotify. And for that the apple phone doesn’t do any better than the android did.
just my two cents
good luck with it!

Old 01-06-2019, 04:53 PM
gregsbro
Neutral
Has anyone tried this
Amazon Amazon

I ordered one should have it in a few days.

Okay well this cable works as far as being able to stream audio over bluetooth. The volume control on the steering wheel works but you can't skip forward or back and no info displayed.
My car is a 15 Cooper S without Nav. or Mini Connected.
For Me this works since I have Slacker radio plus this gives me commercial free music and I can just use the phone to skip songs or get info

Last edited by gregsbro; 01-08-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:33 AM
Gen3Kuz
Neutral
Originally Posted by haibane

I have been using this converter for a while, and overall works ok. I have to unplug and replug from time to time, as sometimes the stereo cannot initialize it. But in general it works well, and I like the level of control and browsing. With Bluetooth the controls are limited in my opinion. I use OnePlus.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:40 PM
pjo1966
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by S_Banks
Unfortunately that didn't work for me.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:50 AM
Minifenrir
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
I'm trying to read up on all of these Android audio threads. I'm wanting to install one of the Android steroes in my car. I want to use an OBD2 Bluetooth tool and app similar to Autometers Dashlink system to monitor everything in the car. I don't like the lack of factory gauges on the Mini but I do not like all the aftermarket gauge pod add on stuff. I think running the Dashlink will be a much cleaner looking install. But I'm still in the early stages of my research into this. Hell maybe I'll just build a raspberry pi or a mini PC for the car and install it in the upper glove box.