Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio H/K to OEM Conversion?

Old 06-20-2018, 12:37 AM
EthanR50
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H/K to OEM Conversion?

Hi all, I have recently bought a 2004 Mini Cooper S after owning my r50 for almost 2 years. I am going to be parting ways with my r50 once I part whatever I can out of the vehicle since I am basically using it as a parts car right now (my new r53 is exactly the same year and color as my r50).

The previous owner of my r53 really hacked the ever living heck out of the Harmon Kardon stereo system in the vehicle and it is missing speakers and it has cut wires and a lot of other things wrong with it. I also am led to believe that the H/K amp has blown and that is why the stereo system is so messed up. So regardless, I have a perfectly good non H/K stereo system in my old Mini and I was wondering how difficult it would be to transfer that entire system over to the new car. I am not an audiophile and I quite honestly thought that the oem system sounded really good.

Any input from somebody more experienced in stereo matters would be greatly appreciated (since this is so totally out of my element). Thanks in advance!!

Old 10-13-2020, 10:55 PM
carltonwilson
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you have any luck with this project? I’m actually looking to do the reverse. I have an 2003 R53 with a non HK system. I am thinking of trying to swap it out for the full HK setup. Aside from sourcing all the parts would this be a crazy job?

Old 11-17-2020, 05:37 PM
jk6672
4th Gear
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
It doesn’t seem to be a crazy job, it does look time consuming however. I have the HK system and have thought about removing it. Currently I started a rear wiper delete project that I quickly realized is very time consuming because I’m removing the wiring and wiper fluid tube also. The cable tape wrap is a PITA to remove. It’s kind of like a sports tape material wrapped around a whole group of cables. I’m stripping my R53 and going minimalistic inside. I currently only have a driver seat. I don’t want rear speakers or the HK amp and other cables. I’m actually thinking of taking the antenna off and having the roof patched. I don’t listen to the radio anyways.