Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio 2013 cooper S and Iphone X

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 01:57 PM
Mchahen
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 cooper S and Iphone X

Ok I finally just got my 2013 Cooper S hatchback, Problem is i tried to connect the iphone X through USB to play MUSIC and the screen displays ‘’ cable you care curently using is not supported’’ i changed the cable to another original cable with no out come.
Tried Bluetooth but it works only as handsfree.
tried checking for software update on Mini website it mentioned that software is up to date after entering my Vin.
a bit disapointed with the car, blutooth connections and key less entry/Start engine was way before 2013 so car basicaly feels like a 2005 model with the lack of a good connectivity, Guess its only built to run fast.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:55 PM
Sue D
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same problem with my 2016 Countryman

Originally Posted by Mchahen

Ok I finally just got my 2013 Cooper S hatchback, Problem is i tried to connect the iphone X through USB to play MUSIC and the screen displays ‘’ cable you care curently using is not supported’’ i changed the cable to another original cable with no out come.
tried checking for software update on Mini website it mentioned that software is up to date after entering my Vin.
a bit disapointed with the car, blutooth connections and key less entry/Start engine was way before 2013 so car basicaly feels like a 2005 model with the lack of a good connectivity, Guess its only built to run fast.
This is exactly the same problem I have. I am not interested in shoveling over $100 for a media adapter to use Bluetooth; I just want to connect via the USB like I did with our 2015 Mini Base Turbo. It worked fine with that car but now, even after purchasing an OEM cable from the dealer, I STILL get the same message. Very frustrated.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:40 PM
maccoder
3rd Gear
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I also have 2013 R56 MCS. Mine also has bluetooth for hands free calls only. I am able to use many different models of iPhone connected through OEM Y-Cable. I used iPhone 6, 7, X in the past and now iPhone XR, all with no issues. Are you using OEM Y-cable? Are both USB and audio jacks connected to the car's inputs in centre console? Are you using any 3-rd party extension cables on either end of Y-cable? Also, looks like a few people had this issue because there was lint accumulated in the lightning port of their phones. Cleaning that resolved the problem.
Not exactly fair statement - you can order keyless engine start and bluetooth music stream as an option on any MINI. Yours (like mine) was not ordered with them.
I was buying mine used, so knowing how many different options MINI can have, I had to look closely on what was ordered and what's not. Some of the options cannot be retrofitted.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:26 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by maccoder
I also have 2013 R56 MCS. Mine also has bluetooth for hands free calls only. I am able to use many different models of iPhone connected through OEM Y-Cable. I used iPhone 6, 7, X in the past and now iPhone XR, all with no issues. Are you using OEM Y-cable? Are both USB and audio jacks connected to the car's inputs in centre console? Are you using any 3-rd party extension cables on either end of Y-cable? Also, looks like a few people had this issue because there was lint accumulated in the lightning port of their phones. Cleaning that resolved the problem.

Not exactly fair statement - you can order keyless engine start and bluetooth music stream as an option on any MINI. Yours (like mine) was not ordered with them.
I was buying mine used, so knowing how many different options MINI can have, I had to look closely on what was ordered and what's not. Some of the options cannot be retrofitted.
It seems you suggest that dust in the ports in the console maybe also be the problem. This would make sense if never use but if the Y cable jacks are always in, I cannot figure this could be the issue.

I have an Iphone 7 always connected as an Ipod and the phone port is clean.

I use an Iphone X with clean port and the function doesn't work either, The cable is OEM.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:02 AM
maccoder
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dube53
It seems you suggest that dust in the ports in the console maybe also be the problem. This would make sense if never use but if the Y cable jacks are always in, I cannot figure this could be the issue.

I have an Iphone 7 always connected as an Ipod and the phone port is clean.

I use an Iphone X with clean port and the function doesn't work either, The cable is OEM.
I was talking about the lightning port on the phone - it is prone to collecting lint if carried in pockets, which can cause connection/charging issues.
But you are saying your phone is constantly connected the the Y-cable, so that's not an issue.
As I mention I don't have any problem using various models of iPhone. And since you are using an OEM Y-cable, I am out of ideas of what might be wrong with your setup...

Old 10-21-2019, 07:15 PM
dube53
6th Gear
I was talking about the lightning port on the phone - it is prone to collecting lint if carried in pockets, which can cause connection/charging issues.
But you are saying your phone is constantly connected the the Y-cable, so that's not an issue.
As I mention I don't have any problem using various models of iPhone. And since you are using an OEM Y-cable, I am out of ideas of what might be wrong with your setup...
Sorry for the confusion. I use an Iphone 7 with no SIMS card connected to the Y cable for music only. The problem seems to be the software doesn't recognize the cable anymore.

But I suspect the problem could be the USB port and I would like to find a way to check it. Sometimes it send randomly a signal to TUNER or AUX or USB functions on the display. Other times it goes to IPOD loading with no sound and switch to TUNER.

When I can get the IPOD function to provide sound, it goes to TUNER after about 15 seconds. I am wondering if Mini has a software update that can fix this connectivity problem.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:38 PM
maccoder
3rd Gear
When you don't see IPOD options on the stereo, does you iPhone show charging battery icon, or is it just normal battery icon?
If there is no charge, it would most likely indicate a bad connection. So your cable or USB port is faulty most likely.
Since you are saying that the radio does recognize the iPhone for short periods of time it sounds more like a bad connection, rather than firmware issue.

Old 10-23-2019, 04:55 PM
dube53
6th Gear
When you don't see IPOD options on the stereo, does you iPhone show charging battery icon, or is it just normal battery icon?
If there is no charge, it would most likely indicate a bad connection. So your cable or USB port is faulty most likely.
Since you are saying that the radio does recognize the iPhone for short periods of time it sounds more like a bad connection, rather than firmware issue.
It shows the charging icon. I tried a brand new cable last week with no result.

Today, I sent a message to the dealer to know if they are aware of any software update in regard of the issue. If this come negative, the only other possibility will be the USB port.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:06 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Updates........

As per the information received from the dealer, the USB/AUX port is the reported problem in most cases. I don't see any damage to mine but.....

I am told this is a pretty extensive (and expensive) job to remove the center console and the center speedometer to have access to this part.

I have Bluetooth connection for the phone. Is it possible to have the same for Ipod by using the console charging port with a USB?

Old 10-24-2019, 07:23 PM
maccoder
3rd Gear
Removing console is certainly not easy at first, but I had to do it many times while installing CarPlay on my R56 and now knowing how to do it, it's about 15 minutes job for me.
I should say it looked harder when I watched online videos than it ended up being.
I doubt you need to remove speedometer to get access to the USB/Aux panel. Even more so, that panel might actually be removed without entire console removal. I'm not sure though since I didn't need to detach it for my project.
If I remember correctly you can find these panels online on eBay. They are not expensive. The only thing is there are several different types of them and if you want an easy swap you would need to get exact same one as your car has now.
so probably a good idea to remove yours first and then look for replacement - they have slightly different connectors on the back.

Old 10-25-2019, 03:36 PM
maccoder
3rd Gear
I couldn't recall why did I have a feeling of this panel being removable without tearing apart the entire dash...
And finally found an old thread that I have red a while ago:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-usb-port.html
Looks like it is an easy replacement. There is an information about different part numbers I mentioned as well.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:09 PM
dube53
6th Gear
I couldn't recall why did I have a feeling of this panel being removable without tearing apart the entire dash...
And finally found an old thread that I have red a while ago:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-usb-port.html
Looks like it is an easy replacement. There is an information about different part numbers I mentioned as well.

Hope this helps.
Well, I am sure it's an easy replacement when everything is dismantled. I called an audio shop for information about Bluetooth conversion. It seems about a $350 job. I am skeptic.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:24 AM
maccoder
3rd Gear
Well, I am sure it's an easy replacement when everything is dismantled. I called an audio shop for information about Bluetooth conversion. It seems about a $350 job. I am skeptic.
Here is another thread saying there is no need to dismantle everything. According to poster only decorative ring around gear shifter has to be carefully popped out and you will have full access to USB/AUX port.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-damaged.html

Regarding the audio shop - it takes 4 panels to pop and about 20 screws (some of them just need to be loosened, not completely removed) to remove the stereo/HVAC panel. Charging $350 for this is a bit too much.
If you were nearby, I'd be glad to help you out - it only takes 15 mins as I mentioned previously, so to do everything shouldn't be more than an hour. But I am afraid it's going to be a long drive for you as I am in Toronto area

Old 10-28-2019, 07:10 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Here is another thread saying there is no need to dismantle everything. According to poster only decorative ring around gear shifter has to be carefully popped out and you will have full access to USB/AUX port.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-damaged.html

Regarding the audio shop - it takes 4 panels to pop and about 20 screws (some of them just need to be loosened, not completely removed) to remove the stereo/HVAC panel. Charging $350 for this is a bit too much.
If you were nearby, I'd be glad to help you out - it only takes 15 mins as I mentioned previously, so to do everything shouldn't be more than an hour. But I am afraid it's going to be a long drive for you as I am in Toronto area
It is a very mysterious problem because since 2 days everything is back to normal and I did nothing. Thanks for your information.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:14 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Updates...........

I am getting more convinced now that this is a software problem. For example, IPOD switch randomly to tuner after about 15 seconds. Sometimes, IPOD plays on AUX but the controls on the steering wheel don't change to next track.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:59 PM
maccoder
3rd Gear
Sorry to hear the problem is back...

Still could be faulty USB port. Most likely it does not provide a solid connection. When USB connection is lost the head unit thinks your phone was disconnected, so it switches to radio tuner. Maybe vibration causes the lose contact inside USB port to connect/disconnect intermittently.

As for AUX, I don't recall being able to change songs using steering wheel controls in that mode. If you think about it - AUX is just an analog stereo audio input, there is no way to send command back to device to change track.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:43 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Sorry to hear the problem is back...

Still could be faulty USB port. Most likely it does not provide a solid connection. When USB connection is lost the head unit thinks your phone was disconnected, so it switches to radio tuner. Maybe vibration causes the lose contact inside USB port to connect/disconnect intermittently.

As for AUX, I don't recall being able to change songs using steering wheel controls in that mode. If you think about it - AUX is just an analog stereo audio input, there is no way to send command back to device to change track.
If it would be the USB port, I would have at least intermittent device charging problem. I have none and my OEM cable has no damaged pins.

I am wondering if contact spray cleaner could be use in the port. Until now, I just used a duster air can. It seems that some software updates may have been done over the years but I have no positive answer.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:08 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Update......

The intermittent connection problem I had for sometime has been fixed with a product called Deoxit D5 I found at a Radio Shack store. I sprayed inside both USB and audio ports.

It seems to be a specific audio and electronic parts cleaner that removes oxidation and improve severe connection problems.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:25 AM
maccoder
3rd Gear
The intermittent connection problem I had for sometime has been fixed with a product called Deoxit D5 I found at a Radio Shack store. I sprayed inside both USB and audio ports.

It seems to be a specific audio and electronic parts cleaner that removes oxidation and improve severe connection problems.
Glad you finally sorted this out!