Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio is it possible to move a radio from 2007 S to a 2010 S

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 07:50 AM
ewarner77
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it possible to move a radio from 2007 S to a 2010 S

I just bought a 2010 S with much lower miles and a non failing clutch to replace my 2007 S. The question I have is whether I can take some of the components that are on my 2007 and put them on my 2010. The 2010 has the convenience and cold weather packages and I really want to have a couple of the features off of the 2007 on the 2010. The most important to me is the satellite radio... I have the lifetime subscription on my 2007 and I would like to keep that. I'm considering just opening up the dash and taking the whole radio out of the 2007 and dropping it into the 2010. While I'm at it I would like to take the climate control (set a temp and forget it...), auto dimming rear view mirror, and if possible the keyless ignition (I've gotten used to not pulling the key out of my pocket ), oh yeah, and the heated seats!

I have been searching around here and the info i need may be here, but there is so much great information that I'm sure I will find eventually, but I need to figure out if I can do this quickly so I know whether I can do this swap or not, and then sell the 2010...

Any information i can get here is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2018, 02:40 PM
Alpha Motoring
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
The sat module on pre-lci is under the passenger seat, you can move it.

The auto and manual climate control harness is different along with a few components. Auto-dimming mirror is easily retrofittable, comfort access will require you to swap over all the modules.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:46 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
I confirm from experience you can swap the radio over. If the only difference is the Satellite receiver, that’s overkill, just move the module from under the passenger seat.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:17 PM
ewarner77
Neutral
Thanks for the quick replies! If I move the satellite reciever over from one car to the other, does the license go with the receiver (will the lifetime license be unaffected)? and will the new radio automatically recognize the fact that the satellite receiver is there, or do I need to program it with an e-sys cable?

also what is involved in swapping over all the modules for the comfort access? I was thinking that it might be as simple as swapping the entire center console over... Again any guidance is greatly appreciated .

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2018, 06:16 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by ewarner77
Thanks for the quick replies! If I move the satellite reciever over from one car to the other, does the license go with the receiver (will the lifetime license be unaffected)? and will the new radio automatically recognize the fact that the satellite receiver is there, or do I need to program it with an e-sys cable?

also what is involved in swapping over all the modules for the comfort access? I was thinking that it might be as simple as swapping the entire center console over... Again any guidance is greatly appreciated .

Thanks!
for the Sat Radio you will need to change the Vehicle configuration code (FA) to include the option for satellite radio. See coding threads for that.

for comfort access, I don’t think it’s realistic to try to move over. You need to move several antennas inside the doors, rear bumper/hatch and inside the car, and you will need to build cables for all of them. The R56 and later series cars have custom wiring harnesses that have wires only for what the car was configured with at the factory. This makes retrofits of some systems, such as Comfort Access and Parking Distance Sensors, extremely involved.

These are are the parts that at a minimum you’ll need to move and hook up somehow:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...Comfort+access

And here is some of the service info you’ll need to do it:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...omfort-access/

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...r-aerial-rear/

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...section-right/

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...-section-left/

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...r-aerial-rear/

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...console-front/

Not impossible, but be prepared for a lot of work. Refitting the factory Nav System into my old 2009 Clubman was a lot simpler. And it was quite a bit of work.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:45 PM
ewarner77
Neutral
bratling -
Thanks again for the help!
I can see from the info you sent that I really don't want to try to move the keyless options over to the new car, however I do really want to move the satellite radio, climate control, and auto dimming rear view mirror over. The car will be a bit of a hodge podge of options, I think we call that "customized" .

On the satellite radio i think the best option for me is to take the satellite radio out of the old car (under the seat, found instructions for that...) and then code the radio so that it sees the satellite radio. I'm hoping that the satellite module won't know anything about it's new environment and therefore will just hang on to it's license. Any insights or thoughts on this hope are greatly appreciated.

On the climate control, I'm thinking that taking the entire center console out of the old car and putting it in the new car could be all that I need to do. I haven't found anything on this upgrade yet, I'm still trying to figure out where to look for it all. Again any insights there are appreciated.

On the rear view mirror, I think that should be the simplest I found a thread on this and it sounds like it should be fairly straightforward. a bit more involved than working on my old 74 VW bug, but certainly doable .

Old 04-02-2018, 12:35 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
The satellite receiver itself should be simple to transfer, but the new car probably doesn't have wiring to connect it the headunit or to the antenna. You will need to add new wiring or transfer it from the old car.

Heated seats might also be relatively simple to swap if the new car is already pre-wired for it; otherwise you'll have to install the wiring.

Auto climate control is not just a matter of swapping in the center console unit. It has several extra sensors (for example, on top of the dash) to help it regulate the cabin temperature.

The keyless system would be complicated to transfer. It has several radio receivers at different locations on the car, which would have to moved from the old car along with the electronics modules. Since the system is integrated with the ignition, it may need to be matched with immobilizer, which is VIN specific. You may need to swap the immobilizer and its associated modules as well.

I believe that each of the items above need to be programmed into the car. Not only that, as you swap modules between cars, you should also reprogram to old car to keep it functioning properly.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:38 PM
weebad
Neutral
Thank you for all of the information.

Last edited by weebad; 02-08-2020 at 05:25 PM.