Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Need advice on adding Bluetooth

Old 03-27-2018, 06:04 PM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Awesome!
I just hope I can hide the microphone in the headliner, adjacent to the moon-roof controls.
My current setup is an AUX adapter connected to the CD changer port, that is then connected to a Bluetooth adapter. It works, its a bit cumbersome and unsightly.
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
I have a very discerning ear when it comes to music, with that being said, Bluetooth playback is just adequate, could be my phone which has a Dolby DAC for playback over AUX and no APTX for Bluetooth. Yes, you can skip and reverse, I've yet to figure out how to pause. The best part of this unit is for hands-free calling, there is no buzzing , sounds very clear on both ends, that was my main reason for getting this unit. The cable for the microphone is long, haven't measured to see it it will go up the pillar and to the rear view mirror. I'll have to spend more time with it to see how well the AUX/SD/USB playback is. If you guys are looking for hands free calling, this is a good unit, music playback so for is just mediocre over Bluetooth and my phone, (Razer Phone), no not Motorola Razor.......

Old 03-27-2018, 09:40 PM
Subw00er
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Amazon Amazon

I bought this one. best $16 I've ever spent. Works great! I tried a few of them before landing on this one. Just plug it into the glovebox like others have said. Im very happy with this setup and I'm usually pretty nerded out with electrical mods..

As I understand it btw, the steering wheel controls dont work on some of the gen1's?! There was some nuance around that.. You can still control volume and the buttons on the BT module are nice.

I even rapid prototyped a mount for it. Sound quality is great too.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:23 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Subw00er
https://www.amazon.com/MiCar-Bluetoo...keywords=micar

I bought this one. best $16 I've ever spent. Works great! I tried a few of them before landing on this one. Just plug it into the glovebox like others have said. Im very happy with this setup and I'm usually pretty nerded out with electrical mods..

As I understand it btw, the steering wheel controls dont work on some of the gen1's?! There was some nuance around that.. You can still control volume and the buttons on the BT module are nice.

I even rapid prototyped a mount for it. Sound quality is great too.

Glad this one worked out for you. The unit we were talking about does work with the steering wheel controls, costs more, but it works.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:26 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Originally Posted by H_C
Awesome!
I just hope I can hide the microphone in the headliner, adjacent to the moon-roof controls.
My current setup is an AUX adapter connected to the CD changer port, that is then connected to a Bluetooth adapter. It works, its a bit cumbersome and unsightly.
I'll post a picture of where I mounted my microphone later today.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:59 AM
PokerMunkee
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Interesting. Do you just need to be in AUX mode on radio to do both bluetooth phone calls and audio?

I take it the USB cables have to stay in the glovebox?

Old 03-28-2018, 02:31 PM
Subw00er
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Poker are you asking me? the aux goes to the glove box and the usb to the cig lighter. set radio to aux and you have bt hands-free calling and audio streaming. I think the iphone makes it sound a bit better, and it charges of course.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:47 PM
PokerMunkee
2nd Gear
I'm seeing ones with a LCD display that show the caller info/track info for around $20. So many options but this seems the easiest and cheapest.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:58 PM
PokerMunkee
2nd Gear
I ordered this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BC99B8L/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BC99B8L/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll let you know my thoughts and post pics if I keep it. I figured I always need a phone charger plugged in, so what the heck. Sucks no steering wheel controls, but I'll live I think! I really want to see on the display who is calling and sound track info.

Last edited by PokerMunkee; 03-29-2018 at 02:00 PM. Reason: i
Old 03-29-2018, 05:39 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
My phone sits in a holder attached to the CD player. When the phone rings, it's right there in my face, same as in looking at what's playing, don't need another screen to look at. My other phone had an AUX port, would just plug the phone in there, phone was close enough to not need a microphone and I could hear callers though the speakers, was very happy with that setup. The unit I have allows me to use the steering wheel control to answer calls and skip music on my phone. If I have to push buttons other than the steering wheel, what would be the point.

Last edited by gumbedamit; 03-29-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:02 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Originally Posted by H_C
Nope, I just ordered it.
Just curious, is the microphone cable long enough to be installed on the rear-view mirror?
How's streaming music via Bluetooth? Can you easily skip/pause tracks? How's the microphone audio quality? Is there any feedback noise (i.e. buzzing or crackling)?
Did you get it yet?

Old 03-30-2018, 09:04 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee
I'm ordering this! I agree, not perfect like newer cars have, but works for me with keeping the factory HU. I just want to stream music mainly and be able to talk hands free if necessary.
Did you get it yet?

Old 03-30-2018, 11:08 AM
H_C
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
Did you get it yet?
Not yet. ETA March 30 - April 4

Old 03-31-2018, 07:06 AM
RudeJoe
4th Gear
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BC99B8L/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll let you know my thoughts and post pics if I keep it. I figured I always need a phone charger plugged in, so what the heck. Sucks no steering wheel controls, but I'll live I think! I really want to see on the display who is calling and sound track info.
I don't think that is what you want. It seems to use a free FM frequency to get it to play over your car system. That's the way I read it anyway. I tried a FM transmitter type years ago on another car and found it difficult to find a clear enough frequency even in rural areas.

I hope I'm wrong for your sake.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:38 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RudeJoe
I don't think that is what you want. It seems to use a free FM frequency to get it to play over your car system. That's the way I read it anyway. I tried a FM transmitter type years ago on another car and found it difficult to find a clear enough frequency even in rural areas.

I hope I'm wrong for your sake.
You are correct, it plays over an unused FM frequently.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:52 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BC99B8L/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When you get in your car, where are you going to put your phone, more than likely you sit it in some type of cradle. Another thing is, you are placing that unit in a vent that gets very hot and very cold depending on the season. What will that heat and cold do to that unit. Since your phone is going to be in a cradle, it's already going to be very close to you, that will be your display. That unit also plays over the FM frequently.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:46 PM
H_C
3rd Gear
I just got this module in the mail today and it is awesome!

Connected devices: Nexus 5 (rooted) and iPhone SE (jailbroken).
Streaming services: Pandora and Spotify.
Primary intended use: To automatically stream Spotify music when the ignition is on.

Pros:
Plug and play
Once my phone is in range and the ignition is on, it automatically starts playing music.
The audio is perfect! There are no pairing beeps or any audio prompts!
There's no static or popping noise when off/on.
There is no labeling anywhere on this device.
It's compact.
There is more than enough wiring length.
All the buttons are mapped correctly to the steering wheel (Up increasing volume, Left goes to the previous track, etc).
Several input sources

Cons:
If you want to modify the wiring, the white harness is extremely difficult to remove from the housing.
To cycle through the different input sources, you have to change the CD/FM sources.
You can't pause/stop music from the steering wheel buttons. You have to use your phone.

Conclusion:
This module is everything I ever wanted! It's easy to install and works as advertised. If anything, I wish the microphone cable was at least 1 foot longer so I can have a cleaner install.
I'm leaving my MPOW Bluetooth module in place as a backup Bluetooth source. With both units installed: When I cycle to the CD changing mode, I get the Bluetooth module. When I select AUX mode, I can stream through the MPOW.

Harness

The entire kit with my tools.

On the upper right is the MPOW AUX-to-Bluetooth adapter. On the bottom left is the new all in one Bluetooth module from eBay.

You can easily put the microphone on the ceiling with room to spare!

The following users liked this post:
megaDan (03-20-2022)
Old 03-31-2018, 02:58 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Looks good, glad you got it installed. Get some strong double sided tape and mount the unit under the toggle switches for an OEM look.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:27 PM
PokerMunkee
2nd Gear
Got it today and took a minute to get working. Sounds crystal clear. Spotify doesn't show track or I don't have it setup right. When a call comes in, it shows the phone number, not the contact. Maybe I can fix it. Not bad for $20. I have it currently mounted on the rear fog toggle switch for now until I decide I want to keep it.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:18 AM
RudeJoe
4th Gear
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
H C - what unit did you end up with?

subw00er - what shift **** to you have on your car?

Attached Thumbnails Need advice on adding Bluetooth-345660fa_f3e9_4980_b58a_986d18c32dbc_be6ae945493917a093f3199b5d68de7c0544bfed.jpeg  

Last edited by RudeJoe; 04-01-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:57 PM
H_C
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RudeJoe
H C - what unit did you end up with?
I have both the unit I got on eBay (LaPower) and my MPOW Bluetooth module installed.