Alpine iLX-F309 in 1st gen Mini? - North American Motoring

Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Alpine iLX-F309 in 1st gen Mini?

Old 02-13-2018, 05:12 AM
1st Gear

Alpine iLX-F309 in 1st gen Mini?

So the Alpine i-F309 is a single DIN 9" receiver with a "floating" 9inch touch screen. Has anyone installed this into a 1st gen mini yet? Do you think it would fit? Crutchfield says it's not compatible but I see that more as a challenge than a warning. Thoughts?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX...-f309&skipvs=T

Old 02-13-2018, 11:51 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Thoughts?
I saw that in recent CES. My thought is putting a double DIN display in a car with single DIN typically look tacky, unless there is very compelling reason - like if you don't have the sexy big center speedo (not the swimsuit ). A good single DIN with bluetooth (aren't they all now?) for a fraction of this will do more than an admirable job without looking tacky.

And I only buy Alpine HUs.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

It seems to have started with the Mercedes GLA a few years ago, but have you noticed how many OE touchscreens now look out of place? I don't get it, but it somehow makes aftermarket units look better, haha
Old 02-13-2018, 12:41 PM
6th Gear

This man says "it should fit in most cars." His notion of cars is more like Lincoln Navigator and Expedition which Ford disallows employees from buying at a discount because they can't build them fast enough for fat profits.

I say, it will look tedious in a Gen 1 Mini.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:39 PM
6th Gear

As a single DIN unit I don't see why it wouldn't physically fit. The screen might block access to AC/heater controls and maybe some of the speedo. A 9" screen would be huge and out of proportion for the 1st gen interior.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:44 PM
6th Gear

I'd love to have that in my F56, sadly it would work easily.

Contact an Alpine installer shop and see what they say.

Crutchfield used to be great, sadly they don't really test fit many cars that I've owned.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:37 PM
1st Gear

I tend to agree with the comments. 9” is a massive screen inside a mini and it would look out of place. The single din I have in there replaced the stock CD player which was infested with electrical gremlins possibly from moisture. I just hate the blue color of the screen/buttons which I’ll probably replace in a year or two.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:36 AM
4th Gear

The big issue with the flip outs is that they hit the plastic speeedo surround above and dont angle fully up. Give it a try though, that one looks like it may stick out far enough.

Btw if you have the hk system I think you need to run new wires to each speaker.
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernalzero View Post

I tend to agree with the comments. 9” is a massive screen inside a mini and it would look out of place. The single din I have in there replaced the stock CD player which was infested with electrical gremlins possibly from moisture. I just hate the blue color of the screen/buttons which I’ll probably replace in a year or two.
I have the same HU installed and soldered out the blue LEDs for some white ones. Might try to look for a matching bmw orange LED down the line. Wired the screen up to a backup camera and its been performing great!
Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmanliu View Post
I have the same HU installed and soldered out the blue LEDs for some white ones. Might try to look for a matching bmw orange LED down the line. Wired the screen up to a backup camera and its been performing great!
where did you mount the camera and where did you connect to power it? I have one just haven’t hooked it up yet.
Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernalzero View Post

where did you mount the camera and where did you connect to power it? I have one just haven’t hooked it up yet.
I drilled it into the trunk trim above the license plate. Used an "oem" looking camera so that it sits nice and flush. The trigger is wired to the reverse bulb and also ran to the HU so that it automatically turns on the camera when shifting into reverse.