Navigation & Audio purchasing THE OEM 8.8 touchscreen from mini possible??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 04:27 PM
varma1986
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I call this project>Open the Wings!.

I was able to swap my wing mirrors to Power Fold feature on my F60 Right Hand Drive.

I did not have to do any coding.
The parts that i installed had the power fold feature and were an exact match in RHD & Connector Pin/Color/Configuration.

Once your MINI F60 has the Memory Seats or MINI Excitement Package you can be sure that your machine has the cable to fold & unfold the mirror.

This project involved a lot of research & a touch of God.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-18-2020, 09:55 PM
6FT6
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Very nice. Are these OEM or aftermarket? You may want to list the parts you acquired in case anyone is interested in this mod.

Old 06-19-2020, 04:16 AM
varma1986
3rd Gear
I have these WingMirror Parts Set for the MINI COUNTRYMAN F60 for Sale on eBay, if anyone need/interested.
Thanks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124227955130

Old 06-21-2020, 02:43 AM
CELESTINO NUÑEZ PORTAS
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emulador

Originally Posted by Smittysweets
I know this is a very old subject but i recently came across this forum because i will like to retrofit my 2017 - F57 -6.5 non touch screen to a 8.8 touchscreen +carplay... as i’ve been reading is doable and some users have done it... i understand also that in order to accomplish this retrofit some spare parts and coding needs to happen... i’ve manage to find a whole set on ebay which has a touchscreen, headunit, housing, control unit and all other parts that i need for this project..

i have two main questions at this point... is there any tutorial to flash the headunit for the following:

1) to match my vin #
2) to activate carplay
3) and to have the correct f57 graphics

i dont mind send this unit to a reputable coder or ideally do it remotely (if possible)... I've not approached bimmertech because i read somewhere they want big amounts of money for the coding/flashing of the head unit... and that is a bit expensive next to other accessories needed for this mod.

any suggestions?
yo estoy igual q tu así q por ahora compré un emulador
estos días probaré si funciona
si va bien te digo
saludos

Old 06-21-2020, 03:48 AM
varma1986
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CELESTINO NUÑEZ PORTAS
yo estoy igual q tu así q por ahora compré un emulador
estos días probaré si funciona
si va bien te digo
saludos
i do not know anything about changing the headunit as it involves coding of the new headunit.Needs help from dealer or bmw expert with software & setup.

the upgrade from 6.5 Touch to 8.8 Touch involves 4 simple coding steps done in expert mode on th full version of BimmerCode app.

for Carplay & Android auto I use the Joyeauto interface box.

Old 07-15-2020, 01:05 PM
Smittysweets
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Correct id5 head unit

Originally Posted by 6FT6
Any one of these

This was the headunit I bought and it works perfectly.
Hi everybody, well I've jumped into the badwagon for this upgrade but i been a little bit unlucky with the headunit part... first I've ordered a hw4.1, 4gb unit from oversees but thanks to covid is lost or delayed only time will know, I've read this post and tried to order from minipartsdirect using the 65129394552 number provided on a previous post, only to discover that the **** thing is hw3.1 and 2gb which is not good for what I want, so I've been trying many options but im lost...

I saw this list 6FT6 posted but the one highlighted is discontinued... can some one help me finding the part number for ID5 HU-evo2 4gb hw 3.1 or above.... eBay is a no go do to my previous experience but so i don't mind ordering from OEM parts but those guys are not help to find the right part (ironically). realoem website is so weird that i don't understand what is what I endup with many numbers that don't work... Im so lost.

anybody can tell me for example if this unit has all the characteristics 65-12-5-A08-177?

please help!?

Last edited by Smittysweets; 07-15-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:43 AM
ndal
1st Gear
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Hi everybody, well I've jumped into the badwagon for this upgrade but i been a little bit unlucky with the headunit part... first I've ordered a hw4.1, 4gb unit from oversees but thanks to covid is lost or delayed only time will know, I've read this post and tried to order from minipartsdirect using the 65129394552 number provided on a previous post, only to discover that the **** thing is hw3.1 and 2gb which is not good for what I want, so I've been trying many options but im lost...

I saw this list 6FT6 posted but the one highlighted is discontinued... can some one help me finding the part number for ID5 HU-evo2 4gb hw 3.1 or above.... eBay is a no go do to my previous experience but so i don't mind ordering from OEM parts but those guys are not help to find the right part (ironically). realoem website is so weird that i don't understand what is what I endup with many numbers that don't work... Im so lost.

anybody can tell me for example if this unit has all the characteristics 65-12-5-A08-177?

please help!?
U need a unit with these Model nos on the sticker: B203, B211, B212. i hope it helps

Old 07-16-2020, 10:53 AM
Smittysweets
1st Gear
Smile

Originally Posted by ndal
U need a unit with these Model nos on the sticker: B203, B211, B212. i hope it helps
Ndal thanks for taking the time to reply to me... Im aware of the B# you mention although since I'm trying to order OEM parts from a dealership instead of going through a 3rd party... (nothing currently on eBay is either in USA or meet the hardware version and model number needed for this mod)... i need to find the mini OEM part number that comply with those specs. the dealerships here won't tell you that they just try to match VIN specs... so I found the VIN of a car that have the specs I want like CarPlay., navigation, touchscreen, satellite radio... but i don't want to order yet because im afraid is not the right one...

hope this makes more sense.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:51 AM
ndal
1st Gear
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Ndal thanks for taking the time to reply to me... Im aware of the B# you mention although since I'm trying to order OEM parts from a dealership instead of going through a 3rd party... (nothing currently on eBay is either in USA or meet the hardware version and model number needed for this mod)... i need to find the mini OEM part number that comply with those specs. the dealerships here won't tell you that they just try to match VIN specs... so I found the VIN of a car that have the specs I want like CarPlay., navigation, touchscreen, satellite radio... but i don't want to order yet because im afraid is not the right one...

hope this makes more sense.
the numbers I mentioned are for those specs. I don’t know if u could make it through the dealer and at what cost.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:10 PM
David King
Neutral
I’m interested in your help please

Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
few short notes:
1)if you have the base radio (non-visual 2-line display) then you CANNOT do the 6.5" or 8.8" retrofit. you will need to do 2 things to make it work
- unfortunately, the dash has 2 part numbers. one for the 2-line display radio and one for the 6.5 or 8.8" radio. the difference is that the bracket behind the display is smaller and will not allow the 6.5 or 8.8" headunit to fit w/out cutting. now if you don't care about cutting into the plastic behind the dash, have at it.
- the audio controls panel (power button, menu settings, favorites, etc...) is powered via a plug on both the 6.5" and 8.8". on the base radio, there is no plug as the screen and headunit are one unit. if retrofitting, someone will have to find a donor car and trace each of the 8 wires and figure out what their purpose is and then create that harness on your own.

2) if you want to upgrade from 6.5" to 8.8" it's 100% doable. couple parts that need to be purchased and some coding that would need to be done but it's completely doable.

3) i cannot confirm the touchscreen system, but i'm assuming that it is also doable. the challenge will be cost because obtaining the touchscreen is probably going to be costly unless we find a crashed mini.

for anyone that is interested in doing #2, feel free to reach out. i have access to affordable screens/headunits and can work with you on completing the install.

personally though, i will not be continuing with this install due to the fact that i will NOT be cutting my dash. i sold my kit to a friend and we're in the process of replacing his 6.5" system with the 8.8" system. we'll also be upgrading him to apple carplay with the updated firmware on the headunit.

i'm looking at an android headunit solution but nothing asap as the holidays are getting near and time is limited.

Old 07-30-2020, 05:04 AM
varma1986
3rd Gear
Hi, I have these good audio parts for sale on eBay & also otherwise, and can ship to the US of A by DHL with tracking number, if anyone interested,
#Trim Ring for 6.5" for MINI Cooper F60 along with the Housing assembly & switches & plastic decor.
#Underseat Subwoofers & Door speakers for MINI Cooper CountryMan F60.
#idrive controller
^These parts may fit other models like the F series clubman and one can research regards.
The listings are:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124177274852
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124081795651
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123771507350
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123771507350

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123771522120

I also have a MOST BMW MINI headunit(not sure of what applications are possible with this one) for sale:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124041498140.

I also have a set of wing mirrors,auto-dip with the control switch, non-power folding, for sale:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124227955130

If anyone is interested, please feel free to message/contact.Thank You.

Old 08-20-2020, 03:36 PM
Smittysweets
1st Gear
I did it!!!! finally after months of work, searching for parts and read lots of forums and websites... I can only take credit for the physical part of the work... this would've been possible without the help and guidance of gurus @sb2002 (Steve) and I think @ndal (Nikos), THANKS you!!! everything is working now...

My retrofit was done on a 2017 F57 prefacelift I had 6.5 no touch screen or navigation.

Now I have 8.8 touchscreen, CarPlay {full screen } and Navigation. (photos soon to come). I was a bit nervous about all the parts that I had to remove to make this happen but it turns out not too much of a big deal with the right repair diagrams and pry tools. AND LOTS OF CAUTION!

little advice for those getting into this adventure... you might need some extra parts that were not mentioned in some of those list of parts. The screen cable had to be replaced for HSD version because it was different voltage from the 6.5" screen cable as well as the usb/aux cable, I've tried to modify the one that came with my car but it didn't work, I also had to buy a GPS antenna and WIFI antenna for the CarPlay... but now I'm done...

PS: If anyone is interested in this mod... I have all the parts you might need the donor car was a F60 (central instrument with radio buttons, split hazard and proximity sensor buttons, bling ring, idrive *** and HW 4.1 4gb headunit that can be coded to have CarPlay. I'm selling the parts as a package so if anyone wants it let me know PM. I'm in USA. if your car is different model you might need different bling ring and central instrument (which i don't have).

NOTE: I don't do bench coding or FSC keys... the headunit will HAVE TO be coded to work with your VIN and flashed to add the CarPlay. but Im sure that find someone in this forum that could do it for you at reasonable price (like I did)

NEXT and LAST project will be adding rear/front PCD camera for my car... this one I might pay someone to install the thing for me... seems like a lot of work to diy.

THANKS Y'ALL

sb2002 (08-21-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 04:17 AM
aphastus
Neutral
This is interesting. I have navigation in my car but when I look up my VIN on the internet it says this option: S6UMA MINI navigation system, the specifications sheet I was sent when I purchased says option number S06UM. The production date is 2017-10-24. I will try to ask for someone to open my dashboard and see which head unit I have and if it’s possible to install a wifi antenna. If so, can I use this https://bimmer-unlock.com/collection...-active-by-usb to activate Apple Carplay in my car?

Old 08-23-2020, 04:18 AM
aphastus
Neutral
Originally Posted by reidmefirst
You might want to pop open your infotainment system to get a better idea of what your options are. If you can pull it out from your dash (it's not too hard), check for which HW revision it is. If it is HW3.1 or newer, you can just pull it from your car and sent it off to be reflashed by someone to support CarPlay. It might be the cheapest way. IIRC HW3 and newer is required as the older versions had less memory and thus could not run the newer firmware...

FWIW my car (2019 F54-S) did not come with NBT EVO (the name of the fancier head unit which includes navigation, gps, etc; if you got the navigation package you should have some version of this head unit). I bought a 2017 MINI F56 NBT EVO from ebay. The donor vehicle had a production date of January 13, 2017. The donor vehicle had the S609A "Navigation" option checked via its build sheet, and the unit installed was HW 3.1. I sent it off to a coder who was able to update it to include CarPlay support. The only 'gotcha' might be, a pre-July-2017 manufacture date, might not have a WiFi antenna attached to the NBT EVO unit...but you will probably have a WiFi connector (HW3.1 has a wifi connector), you'll just have to spend $10 on an antenna, which you would then shove in your dash whereever it will fit.

This is interesting. I have navigation in my car but when I look up my VIN on the internet it says this option: S6UMA MINI navigation system, the specifications sheet I was sent when I purchased says option number S06UM. The production date is 2017-10-24. I will try to ask for someone to open my dashboard and see which head unit I have and if it’s possible to install a wifi antenna. If so, can I use this https://bimmer-unlock.com/collection...-active-by-usb to activate Apple Carplay in my car?

Old 08-24-2020, 02:28 AM
aphastus
Neutral
Originally Posted by aphastus
OK so i have been browsing ebay and I have seen that both 2.3 and 3.1 HWs have the dark pink WLAN ports (I guess this is wifi antenna port). So I understand that the main problem here is that only HW 3.1 or newer is able to have the newest firmware installed (mine has the 3D looking icons instead of the more rounded flat icons I’ve seen in newer models). And that this firmware is the only one that is able to run Apple carplay. Is that it?

thanks so much for your help!

Old 08-24-2020, 11:27 AM
Banner28
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I know this thread has been busy with everyone's success stories so I figured this would be a good place to pose my question. I currently own a 2015 Mini F55S with the 6.5" display. I don't have navigation or anything fancy but I was hoping to possibly make a jump to the 8.8" display (no need for touch screen or car play honestly) and add in navigation. Can anyone tell me if this is possible? Would it be a simple process of replacing the screen and adding something to the headunit with some minor coding for the screen to work or will it be an in depth process? This is a project that I'll be looking at piecing together over probably the next couple months if it's reasonable.

Thanks in Advance

Old 08-30-2020, 09:25 AM
aphastus
Neutral
Have found a guy that can sell me both a HU HW 4.1 and an 8.8” touchscreen with the new 2020 insert. I think I’ll only be missing the LED ring, the security distance button and the outer trim ring. Whole price is 1500€, do you think it’s a good price? Could you tell me if I’ll need more parts? Thanks!

Old 10-03-2020, 08:19 PM
varma1986
3rd Gear
My 2019 MINI Cooper CountryMan features an Entry Nav NBT Evo Touch Head Unit.Can it be upgraded by coding to the Navigation feature?.Do i need to change head unit (or) can i get it on my existing head unit?.

Old 11-03-2020, 06:10 PM
Khenders
Neutral
Help!

few short notes:
1)if you have the base radio (non-visual 2-line display) then you CANNOT do the 6.5" or 8.8" retrofit. you will need to do 2 things to make it work
- unfortunately, the dash has 2 part numbers. one for the 2-line display radio and one for the 6.5 or 8.8" radio. the difference is that the bracket behind the display is smaller and will not allow the 6.5 or 8.8" headunit to fit w/out cutting. now if you don't care about cutting into the plastic behind the dash, have at it.
- the audio controls panel (power button, menu settings, favorites, etc...) is powered via a plug on both the 6.5" and 8.8". on the base radio, there is no plug as the screen and headunit are one unit. if retrofitting, someone will have to find a donor car and trace each of the 8 wires and figure out what their purpose is and then create that harness on your own.

2) if you want to upgrade from 6.5" to 8.8" it's 100% doable. couple parts that need to be purchased and some coding that would need to be done but it's completely doable.

3) i cannot confirm the touchscreen system, but i'm assuming that it is also doable. the challenge will be cost because obtaining the touchscreen is probably going to be costly unless we find a crashed mini.

for anyone that is interested in doing #2, feel free to reach out. i have access to affordable screens/headunits and can work with you on completing the install.

personally though, i will not be continuing with this install due to the fact that i will NOT be cutting my dash. i sold my kit to a friend and we're in the process of replacing his 6.5" system with the 8.8" system. we'll also be upgrading him to apple carplay with the updated firmware on the headunit.

i'm looking at an android headunit solution but nothing asap as the holidays are getting near and time is limited.

Hi, I’m looking to upgrade my 6.5” base display, if you could point me in the right direction where i can buy my parts from.

Old 11-04-2020, 06:32 AM
sb2002
3rd Gear
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Khenders
Hi, I’m looking to upgrade my 6.5” base display, if you could point me in the right direction where i can buy my parts from.
Hi. Are you able to turn on PMs? If so, I'll contact you outside of this thread to ask some questions and provide more details.

Old 05-12-2021, 06:09 PM
Bobby Panos
Neutral
i have a lot of these parts for sale. reach out if interested. was a project i was working on but realized that unfortunately, BMW has 2 part numbers for the dash, 1 for the regular radio and 1 for both 6.5 and 8.8" screens. since i have the basic radio, it would require me to cut up my dash to fit the 8.8"....so the project, after buying all the parts, is over.

if anyone has any interest, PM me.

Do you have any parts left complete kit to retrofit my 2017 Countryman?

Old 04-05-2022, 03:21 PM
mlucca1
Neutral
Originally Posted by Budgett
I have only changed the screen, I have kept my original equipment, I have coded the values of the new screen and it has already worked, I have activated carplay by buying the fsc and entering the fsc with esys. Before buying the fsc I used the joyeauto module, right now I am selling it at half the price of what it is worth, if someone is interested send me private.
Good day, I want to upgrade my screen to a 8,8" like you did. If you can tell me more of the process, for example how to do the coding etc. I have a countryman s f60 2019, thanking you in advance

Old 04-06-2022, 12:35 PM
mlucca1
Neutral
Hello, I am interested. I have a 2019 contryman S, F60, with a 6.5" display, no carplay. My display only shows 5 icons, if it fits let me know the price or where can i get the head unit and display unit that will work for me. Thanking you in advance

Old 04-06-2022, 12:38 PM
mlucca1
Neutral
from where can I order a disply system 8.8

Old 04-12-2022, 06:07 PM
sb2002
3rd Gear
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mlucca1
from where can I order a disply system 8.8
PM’d.