Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio MFSW controls added?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 12:22 PM
tag1260
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
MFSW controls added?

I have a standard steering wheel on my 2009 JCW without the controls for BT nor stereo control. Can I add the controls and also cruise control at the same time? I have BT on the stereo is this a simple swap or am I asking for trouble?
Thanks

Old 10-15-2017, 11:27 PM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
I've just done it on my 2009. You're probably in the same place I was.
1) My Steering column switch (SZL) was not compatible even though it had the socket for controls, the internals were not there. Used RealOEM to find the correct part number and bought a new one off the internet for £100.
2) Next, if you have the three spoke wheel and airbag you will save a lot by sourcing the left and right control switches and inserting them, very easy job. If not, you will have to buy both wheel and airbag. NB - disconnect the battery negative lead and wait 5 minutes before touching the airbag.
3) Of course, it is not plug and play, you will have to use something like NCSEpert to code your VO (CAS and FRM and SZL/Kombi) and reset the steering angle position.
4) If you replaced your SZL switch unit, it will need the VIN programmed and coded and this is a dealer/BMW job, until this is done your DSC and tyre pressure warnings will be lit up and DSC is off, your indicators will not reset and hill start assist is off.

All in, having gone through this I regret doing it but once you start it is hard to stop the momentum and cost. In hindsight, the HiFi controls are already at arms length and CC is a novelty item.