Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio R53 Factory Nav w/o Harman Kardon??

Old 10-12-2017, 01:50 PM
BumpDaddy
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R53 Factory Nav w/o Harman Kardon??

I ordered a replacement JVC radio from Crutchfield and when I received it, there was a hand written note inside the box instructing me to call their tech services department. When I did, they explained to me that "since you have the factory navigation, you automatically have the upgraded Harman Kardon stereo" and I would need to bypass the amp by running new speaker wire. Does anyone know for certain that having the factory nav means you have the H/K system?

The Crutchfield guys are the experts, but I'm 99% sure I DO NOT have the H/K system. I just installed a set of 6x9's in the back and never noticed an amplifier, plus my front door panels do not have "Harman Kardon" speaker grills.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:03 PM
RedAggie03
4th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
quickest way to know is pull the cover on the right side in the back and see if there is an amp there. Which you probably would have seen when you installed the 6x9's. My guess is no HK then.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:52 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by BumpDaddy
they explained to me that "since you have the factory navigation, you automatically have the upgraded Harman Kardon stereo"
That is absolutely wrong.

I'm 99% sure I DO NOT have the H/K system. I just installed a set of 6x9's in the back and never noticed an amplifier, plus my front door panels do not have "Harman Kardon" speaker grills.
You are correct — your car doesn't have the H/K system. I'm surprised that Crutchfield gave you wrong information.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:54 AM
BumpDaddy
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RKW - I was surprised too! But knowing Crutchfield were the "experts" in car audio installation, I was doubting myself. I even paid $25 extra so they could pre-wire the wiring harness, and they skipped the wires for the speakers due to the H/K amp. I'm going to ask for a refund on that! Thanks for your help everyone!

Old 04-02-2018, 12:18 PM
Casey Pierce
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered a replacement JVC radio from Crutchfield and when I received it, there was a hand written note inside the box instructing me to call their tech services department. When I did, they explained to me that "since you have the factory navigation, you automatically have the upgraded Harman Kardon stereo" and I would need to bypass the amp by running new speaker wire. Does anyone know for certain that having the factory nav means you have the H/K system?

The Crutchfield guys are the experts, but I'm 99% sure I DO NOT have the H/K system. I just installed a set of 6x9's in the back and never noticed an amplifier, plus my front door panels do not have "Harman Kardon" speaker grills.

​​​​​​I have the same situation as you and am thinking about doing this as well. I wanted to ask how it turned out for you?

Old 04-11-2018, 11:28 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Yea, no HK. Another choice is this VDO unit. I think if fits the MINI and has that Oem tyle color display in the orange. Comes in blue also. You can get them in CD and NON CD and they have bluetooth version. Very OEM+ looking.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-vdo-parts/v-mini/c-interior/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-11-2018, 09:13 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Those look super nice and the VDO version would look great in my M Coupe.... but no line out or HD radio

Old 04-12-2018, 07:06 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
No HD yet, maybe in the future. Aux and USB ports. Out of many, I have seen I think it looks the best if added to a MINI. Other ones just don't have that OEM feel.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-29-2018, 09:18 AM
Jack in Norfolk
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Nav audio?

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yea, no HK. Another choice is this VDO unit. I think if fits the MINI and has that Oem tyle color display in the orange. Comes in blue also. You can get them in CD and NON CD and they have bluetooth version. Very OEM+ looking.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-vdo-parts/v-mini/c-interior/

Does the sound from the factory nav system come through these decks from ECS Tuning?
Thanks

Old 03-06-2023, 02:04 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Just saw this, we heave not tested it on factory nav cars.

Search this Thread