Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio FM Reception problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 12:36 PM
Steam Hogger
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FM Reception problem

A while ago my mini lost FM reception. So far I have been unsuccessful at fixing the problem. I can use some guidance.

First some back ground. I have a `06 with the HK system. It is a convertable, so the antenna setup is differnt from a hatchback. The radio seams to work. I can play CDs and listen to music off my phone thru the aux jack just fine.

Starting with the obvious, I checked into the antenna. I pulled the head unit out. Checked the antenna feed for continuity. The coax cable shows a clear signal from the back of the radio to the base. But I was not seeing any continuity through coax connector at the base into the antenna. I installed a new base but the problem still exist. Now I'm starting to think the antenna amplifier. Can anyone confirm there is not a external antenna amp on the convertibles? It looks as though the amp is built into the antenna base. There is a white wire feeding the base. I am only showing 10 volts on this line which seams low. Looking at wireing diagrams on the convertibles. This white wire comes from the back of the head unit and feeds both the speaker amp and the antenna amp. I'm assuming this is then used as the ignition feed for the speaker amp?

Any ides on where to go from here?
Thanks Jason!

The following users liked this post:
MiniTigger (08-18-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 07:12 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
According to Bentley, for the R50, 52, 53 - there are 2 antenna amplifiers - an Antenna Amplifier and a Diversity Amplifier.

I know on the R53, the Antenna Amplifier is behind the rear hatch trim panel, on the right side just below the glass - and shares the defroster wires in the rear window.

The Diversity Amplifier for all (50, 52 and 53) is located behind the right rear seat trim panel - just below the side window and above the speaker.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:57 AM
Steam Hogger
1st Gear
Thanks for the help. I have already pulled that panel out looking for the diversity amp. It's not there. With most of the real estate is taken up by the convertible mechanism. I'm assoming it is relocated elsewhere? Or wandering if the 'verts even have it. Especially since there is not antenna in the back window of a R52.

I'm starting to wonder if the head unit isn't the issue. It is only supping 10v to feed the antenna and speaker amp. I have tryed supplying 12v to the antenna base. But still reception has not improved.
Can anyone confirm that the amp in the base of the radio antenna is the only one on the convertables? If not where is it loacted?

Thanks!

Last edited by Steam Hogger; 08-17-2017 at 09:19 AM.
MiniTigger (08-18-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 12:35 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
I don't have my book with me - but maybe this will help?

http://parts.seattlemini.com/p/MINI_...wd=&origin=pla

Looks like it might be located where the navigation equipment goes? I think that's under one of the seats?

According to one of the BMW sites, in the convertibles, it's directly under the antenna.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ifier-Location
The amplifier sits right underneath the antenna. Remove the bootlining and you'll instantly see it.

Last edited by MiniTigger; 08-17-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:37 AM
Steam Hogger
1st Gear
I going to look closer into that tonight. The speaker amp is under the passenger seat. I have already pulled it to check the white wire for a short. Maybe I missed the other amp in the diagram you showed.

I tryed searching part part numbers last night too. Hoping find a diagram or confermation the second amp exests. You can find it a little challenging looking up things convertible. I can't tell you how many times you look up parts on a convertable. But the diagram attached only shows how it is on the hard top. The Bentley Manual is the same way. It show's in great detail all the components of the radio system and where parts are located on the hardtop. But for the 52s, there is only on small section that shows how the antenna is mounted above the windshield. You never know if there is more to the story. Or if that's all that is mentioned becomes that's the only differance.
​​

MiniTigger (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 09:30 AM
FlyByMike
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This might help; it's opened my eyes on my F56
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f56-cooper-s-hat/
-Mike

Last edited by FlyByMike; 08-23-2017 at 02:44 PM.
MiniTigger (08-18-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 07:13 AM
Steam Hogger
1st Gear
Mike: Was there supposed to be attachment with your post? Don't look like it went through.

MiniTigger: Turns out the antenna /amp you pointed me too. Is only for the navigation system.

I have talked to the parts guy at my local mini dealer. He looked up parts diagram for the cabrio. The only thing he sees is the windshield mounted antenna with the amp inclosed in the base. I have already replaced this. So I guess my next step is to swap out the head unit and hope...

Thanks again for your help!
​​​​​​

Old 08-23-2017, 02:46 PM
FlyByMike
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hmm, I put the link back onto the original post. Here it is too:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f56-cooper-s-hat/
-Mike