Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Nav repair replace, camera add?

Old 07-17-2017, 08:36 AM
tedmid
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav repair replace, camera add?

Good morning,
I have a R52-S Convertible with factory nav, however the screen has a bunch of dead/gray areas on it. I also would like to add a backup camera.

I am considering one of the following, hoping for advice!
-Is there a part number to replace just the LCD inside the nav unit?
-Looks like OEM retrofit back up cams are no longer available?
--(parts 66 21 0 392 370, 66 21 0 303 085)

-Can I remove the factory nav altogether and put a generic aftermarket LCD screen in its place that i can add an aftermarket backup cam too? I have the dual gauges on my steering column, will they continue to work, and/or will my gas gauge still function or is it part of the nav unit?

Thanks!

Old 07-17-2017, 11:50 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Not sure if the screen only is available from MINI, but you might be able to find a refurbished or used screen.

You can't remove the entire NAV center module. The main center module in MINI's (NAV, big speedo, or chrono pak) are locked to the VIN of the original car and include the mileage dispayed on the speedo, and the original options built into the car. If you replace it with a used unit, your speedo will display the wrong mileage and all of the options on your car may not work anymore. The dummy lights on your dual guages also might not light up correctly depending on how the donor car was configured. Not sure on the options info, but the VIN is permanently burned in, and the mileage can't be changed or reset on used units.

Depending on how much you car about looks, it's possible to install a small android tablet to use as a display for a back up cam, auxiliary gauges, music, etc.

The following users liked this post:
tedmid (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 05:08 PM
tedmid
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RB-MINI
Not sure if the screen only is available from MINI, but you might be able to find a refurbished or used screen.

You can't remove the entire NAV center module. The main center module in MINI's (NAV, big speedo, or chrono pak) are locked to the VIN of the original car and include the mileage dispayed on the speedo, and the original options built into the car. If you replace it with a used unit, your speedo will display the wrong mileage and all of the options on your car may not work anymore. The dummy lights on your dual guages also might not light up correctly depending on how the donor car was configured. Not sure on the options info, but the VIN is permanently burned in, and the mileage can't be changed or reset on used units.

Depending on how much you car about looks, it's possible to install a small android tablet to use as a display for a back up cam, auxiliary gauges, music, etc.
Thanks for the input. Sounds like I have to at least keep the nav box behind the screen intact regardless.
Anyone know if the LCD itself has a part number to look for just that piece? Had anyone ever replaced just the screen, is it even practical?

Alternatively, since it seems the oem retrofit rear camera is impossible to find any more, is there an alternative hack to get video input on the factory nav?

Search yields a bunch of generic $500+ "kits".

I guess my final option is to permanently remove the convertible top to get rid of the horrific blind spot altogether

Old 07-17-2017, 05:29 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Yep, you have to keep the main unit to run the car. All I've ever found were the same types of generic kits to get video onto the screen. Here's a video showing how they use the factory screen to display gauges. The video module has multiple inputs and one can be used for a backup camera. Not sure if any of the components are still available, but the video has a list of the parts used in the description area when you click on "show more".

Here's another video on how to remove the main unit. The company who made the video is Hitech Electronic Services in Van Nuys, CA. Don't know anything about their quality of work or pricing, but since they made the video they probably fix these often.

Last edited by RB-MINI; 07-17-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:40 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
The MINI part number for just the NAV screen is 65906947196 and is about $1,750 discounted not including a $500 core charge.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:01 PM
tedmid
1st Gear
Thanks again guys.
Found this one too. I hate how these things always seem like shady fake websites!
http://tvandnav2go.com/bmw/85-mini-c...nterface-.html
Anyone actually try this?

Screen isn't unusable at this point so if I can just get rear cam under$250 I'll be happy enough.

Had anyone found a generic lcd that fits the opening perfectly? Wonder if I can remove the bad display, abandon the out of date nav and have the unit still work for odometer etc while making room for a new display.

Fyi I just bought this car "for my wife" last weekend, been 7 years since I sold my r53 forgot it's a BMW with stupid expensive oem parts :(

Old 07-17-2017, 06:11 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
It looks like the display mounts from behind the control module so that will probably make it harder to find a generic display to fit. Check out the exploded parts diagram from this link.

http://parts.miniofkennesaw.com/prod...906947196.html

Unfortunately, MINI doesn't make things easy.

Google the interface unit you linked and maybe you'll find a lot more info on the BMW forums about it and the company.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:24 PM
tedmid
1st Gear
Yeah, I saw that diagram earlier today. It still seems that part number is way more than I need. E.g. I only need the actual screen piece of that whole unit. I am guessing it may not be removeable or serviceable though. I may check it out on my car and see if there is a stamped sub model # on that bit. I figured it's been 12 years since this model and all this should have been easy by now
Thanks again have a good evening, I will update this as I go if I decide on that aftermarket input interface.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:37 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Here's a nav screen on eBay for $115: http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-03-04-05-...-/362038601733
You would remove and use just the display itself, not the surround electronics.
(item #2 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=65_1367)

The TVandNav2Go video interface is legit and was made to work on both MINI and BMW of that era. Owners were buying it as an alternative to the expensive OEM kit. BTW, a backup camera is awesome for the R52. I had one on mine (no longer have the car). https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-i-did-it.html

Alternatively, here's an example of replacing the screen with an Android phablet:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-sort-of.html. Go to his imgur gallery link for very well documented installation.

tedmid (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 06:12 AM
tedmid
1st Gear
Awesome!
Sent an email to the ebay seller, unfortunately no pics of the screen powered up so could be in just as bad shape as the one i have.

I think I will likely try the tvandgo option, seems the least expensive option that still exists these days, If i do i will make sure to post my install in case it helps others.

Any recommendations on the rear camera itself? Kinda hard to tell from the pics, was the OEM camera installed in the rubbery trunk release button??

Old 07-18-2017, 08:15 AM
tedmid
1st Gear
Well crap...

Good morning,
Just to confirm, does the TVANDNAV2GO Mini Cooper Video Interface come with wiring harnesses so that I do not need to cut existing wires that go to my Nav?
----
Hi
I don't have that unit anymore sorry.
Thanks Dominic

Old 07-18-2017, 09:03 AM
tedmid
1st Gear
Looks like NAVTOOL or NAVIKS is another option, both around $200...

Do they make a clear convertible top instead??

Last edited by tedmid; 07-18-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:42 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by tedmid
was the OEM camera installed in the rubbery trunk release button??
The OEM camera removed both the switch and rubber cover, and replaced it with a new switch with integrated camera. It was very well done and completely inconspicuous. You can see it in the diagrams here: http://www.motoringfile.com/files/rear_camera.pdf

Old 07-18-2017, 12:45 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
^ That thing was super rare and cool, I still remember when this came out.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/10/..._retrofit_kit/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-20-2017, 02:38 PM
tedmid
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Here's a nav screen on eBay for $115: http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-03-04-05-...-/362038601733
You would remove and use just the display itself, not the surround electronics.
I just got the replacement display. Any idea if I can power this up on its own just enough to check for dead pixels? E.g. +12v and gnd pins??

Old 07-20-2017, 05:33 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
I just got the replacement display. Any idea if I can power this up on its own just enough to check for dead pixels? E.g. +12v and gnd pins??
I doubt it. Typically with dot matrix screen you have to drive it properly with the needed signal and proper timing.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:41 PM
tedmid
1st Gear
Thank you.
Does it "break" anything if I temporarily hook this up in place of my existing nav unit? I keep reading about it being VIN and odometer locked. Don't want to kill my existing nav just to test an LCD.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:48 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Does it "break" anything if I temporarily hook this up in place of my existing nav unit? I keep reading about it being VIN and odometer locked. Don't want to kill my existing nav just to test an LCD.
It wouldn't harm anything. However, in the end you should replace just the screen itself.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:37 AM
tedmid
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
It wouldn't harm anything. However, in the end you should replace just the screen itself.
Thanks, that is my plan to just move the LCD over, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to confuse my ecu, or radio or gauges if i temporarily hook up a foreign nav unit to my car just to check the screen out.
Have a good weekend!
Unfortunately the wife has the car away this weekend so i dont get to play :(

Old 07-24-2017, 06:25 AM
tedmid
1st Gear
Well,
Unfortunately the replacement LCD from ebay was in just as bad shape as mine, hopefully a return won't be too painful.

In the meantime, my nav firmware is SW-1/40 , Is that the latest for an R52? I saw someone mention /42 and /50?

Also, I would like to order a new nav disc, the dvd (pic attached) I pulled out of was from 2003! ( S0018-0070-310), I believe 2015 is the last version made?

I did search but still wasn't clear what to order, i keep seeing IBUS vs CCC vs HIGH?
Thanks
-ted

Attached Thumbnails Nav repair replace, camera add?-img_20170720_155441.jpg  
Old 07-24-2017, 08:46 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Your system uses the HIGH version DVD map. I would look on eBay.

The last version of firmware was V32 and I believe it would display SW 4-1/100 as the version. Look at the last few pages of this thread:https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4283684. It is no longer available from MINI but you should be able to find iso images on the web.

tedmid (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 09:07 AM
tedmid
1st Gear
Ah!
I already downloaded the V32 iso the other day but didn't load it as it was thinking the /40 meant version 40 and I was already upgraded!

I have been searching ebay and google and most of what comes up is:
2015 BMW North American Map DVD HIGH 2 Disc Set
PN: 65902365699

Versus MINI part i found to be: 65902365697

Are they one in the same/compatible?
Looks like the BMW listed one can be found for $30 if so!

Old 07-24-2017, 09:43 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
I'm using a BMW 2009 BMW disc in my '05 with the V32 firmware. No issues that I've noticed and the MINI startup screen still shows since it's part of the firmware. The great thing about the V32 firmware is the warning screen times out around 10 seconds so you don't have to hit the button to use the NAV. Also, 2009 was the last year for a single disc for the maps in case that matters to you.

Doing some research this weekend I found this thread for BMW NAV screen replacement and a YouTube video which might help in replacing your MINI screen. The thread also has part numbers for the screen which might be the same for the MINI NAV screen. If it's the same, new screens are available on eBay for about $100.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=446468

Old 07-24-2017, 10:12 AM
tedmid
1st Gear
Thanks for the info,
I went ahead and ordered the 2015 BMW one, for $30 it is worth a shot, I will let you know if it works. I need to do my V32 upgrade tonight as well.

Good news about the LCD too, however, hard to confirm compatibility with a 2005 mini. I can't find anyone out there who has taken apart their nav to see if the LCD has its own part # like in your video...

I may have to do that if I want to replace my LCD just to get confident about compatible replacement options...

Old 07-25-2017, 09:20 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
I went ahead and ordered the 2015 BMW one, for $30 it is worth a shot, I will let you know if it works.
The High maps (and Nav computer itself) are compatible between BMW and MINI. Points of Interest on the map simply highlight BMW dealers instead of MINI dealers.

Search this Thread