North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Navigation & Audio (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/navigation-and-audio-201/)
-   -   Navigation & Audio How to play iPhone 7 through 2012 mini w/ bluetooth (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/navigation-and-audio/313861-how-to-play-iphone-7-through-2012-mini-w-bluetooth.html)

Zimm 04-20-2017 05:15 AM

How to play iPhone 7 through 2012 mini w/ bluetooth

So our R60 countryman has the usb/audio ports and the y-wire with apple 30 pin connector. I have an iPhone 7 (no headphone port). Is there a lightning cable that will work to feed audio to the mini's ports so I can listen to spotify or pandora?

Zimm 04-20-2017 05:19 AM

Is this what I need? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...a/61122408012/

ECSTuning 04-20-2017 06:11 AM

That's it's for the lightning cable phone. I use the pandora app .

Zimm 04-20-2017 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by ECSTuning (Post 4295986)
That's it's for the lightning cable phone. I use the pandora app .

Thanks, I'll order it up. I'm really trying to avoid spending a lot on mods for this car. You guys cost me a lot with our past mini R56, Jetta TDI, and Touareg TDI :razz:

njaremka 04-20-2017 10:15 AM

if you have the cable with the 30-pin adapter, you can save some money and buy the Apple 30-pin to lightning adapter. Plug that into the Mini y-cable, then plug the other end into the iPhone lightning port - done. That's how I use mine, and works great.

siriuszero 04-20-2017 04:03 PM

Seconded.

If you have a Y-cable that was working with an older iDevice, you just need the APPLE 30-pin to Lightning adapter (~$30-40). No need to purchase another $90 cable, but do avoid the 3rd party adapters - they do not work 99% of the time.

Zimm 04-20-2017 04:31 PM

I lost the old adapter, so ordered the cable from ecs.

siriuszero 04-20-2017 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Zimm (Post 4296186)
I lost the old adapter, so ordered the cable from ecs.

Gotcha.

You should be set then! :thumbsup:

hanks 07-17-2017 11:57 PM

find someone with NCSexpert and have them change your USB Audio to digital. You will then have audio over USB.

mashby 07-18-2017 06:53 AM

FWIW, I opted for a different route.

I snaked a 3rd party charging cable up to my Cravenspeed phone mount and the purchased a Bluetooth adapter for the audio. The adapter I got was this one.

The downside to this adapter is that I have to press a button to activate it when I start up the car. It's powered by USB but has a small battery in it. After turning off the car, the battery will drain, so you have to press the button to power it on after power has been restored.

Other than this minor annoyance, it's worked perfectly for me.

As an alternative, my business partner bought this model from Banggood which doesn't have a battery. It powers on as soon as you start the car since it doesn't have an internal battery.

Hope that helps!

the_dude_abides 07-20-2017 06:52 PM

Is this cable really as short as the pictures make it out to be?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...a/61122408012/

I'm not sure it'll reach my phone sitting in the center console area...

Sort of related question: my 2013 clubman I just got has bluetooth capability but I only see "Phone" in the Menu, and there's no BT Audio under Mode. Does this mean I only have phone BT capabilities and no BT audio? :| I did successfully pair it for phone usage...

ECSTuning 07-25-2017 02:17 PM

Its about 10" long total. Not really short. Its will reach in the cup holder, past that it will not. Works and holds if you have it in the little net in the footwell, if you have a Countryman, Paceman the plugs infront of the shifter and it reaches to the middle of the center console a bit.

the_dude_abides 07-25-2017 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by ECSTuning (Post 4317816)
Its about 10" long total. Not really short. Its will reach in the cup holder, past that it will not. Works and holds if you have it in the little net in the footwell, if you have a Countryman, Paceman the plugs infront of the shifter and it reaches to the middle of the center console a bit.

It is totally unusable in my car. If i flip my phone upside down and put it in the cup holder, even minor cornering will cause it to pull away from the aux plug. Plus I can’t use it for visual navigation at that point obv. I ended up buying a lame 3’ lightning extension cable off amazon. Why oh why did they make the connector so short... /sigh.

Bought a proclip and holder to go with my extension cable lol, feels like 2006 all over again. Some day I’ll just do a custom audio install and have BT audio.

the_dude_abides 07-25-2017 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by ECSTuning (Post 4317816)

It is totally unusable in my car. If i flip my phone upside down and put it in the cup holder, even minor cornering will cause it to pull away from the aux plug. Plus I can’t use it for visual navigation at that point obv. I ended up buying a lame 3’ lightning extension cable off amazon. Why oh why did they make the connector so short... /sigh.

Bought a proclip and holder to go with my extension cable lol, feels like 2006 all over again. Some day I’ll just do a custom audio install and have BT audio.

ECSTuning 07-25-2017 02:36 PM

If there is a holder, works much better. Yea I had mine lodged and flipped right side, but a 6+ phone will not fit in the cupholder so it does not matter.

the_dude_abides 07-25-2017 02:40 PM

Dude totally. A plus phone definitely won’t fit.

Thanks btw for the link to the heat shield in that othet thread. I’m on mobile atm so will follow up

Isyvibes 07-25-2017 03:57 PM

I got this one for my iphone 7 plus. Its pricey and sometimes crashes. You have to reboot your phone when that happens. But i still have steering wheel controls with it so that is a plus.

the_dude_abides 07-25-2017 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Isyvibes (Post 4317848)
I got this one for my iphone 7 plus. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Its pricey and sometimes crashes. You have to reboot your phone when that happens. But i still have steering wheel controls with it so that is a plus.

Damn dude the Mini unit is only a mere $98 :grin: And it hasn't crashed my iphone7 yet (though it does sometimes not pick up the track). Steering wheel buttons work as well (though "backwards" doesn't always do that thing). Buggy hacks. :no:

ECSTuning 07-26-2017 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by the_dude_abides (Post 4317831)
Dude totally. A plus phone definitely won’t fit.

Thanks btw for the link to the heat shield in that othet thread. I’m on mobile atm so will follow up

Yep, welcome.