Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio All sound from HK amp running to front right! (Another HK amp thread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 08:01 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
All sound from HK amp running to front right! (Another HK amp thread)

Well I was doing some maintenance on my R53 and I had taken the driver's side door completely off the car (made things easier). Well after everything was buttoned up I noticed on the test drive that my driver side speaker isn't producing any sound.

If I fade to the left the sound is very subtle from the rear, not as much as it should be, but the front right speaker is still producing sound. Nothing on the driver side tweeter or speaker.

It seems like the front right speaker is getting 75% of all the signals. I'm at a loss, I double checked the HU with another and same thing... I checked my wiring harness, looks good. I wouldn't imagine the amp would fail with just disconnecting the battery and unplugging the door wire harness?

Btw I have the stock HK speakers, Pioneer HU, and HK enabler.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-11-2017, 08:51 AM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Nothing?

Well HK is going... Now only have front right woofer.

So anyone have any info on a complete new system how to? I'm not scared to pull wire and do my own work. Just not sure if it works properly due to the unconventional KBus used by the HK system? Would this make the car go wonky, CELs and such?

Any links greatly appreciated.

PS. Anyone with an HK amp, get rid of it now and use the money towards a system that actually works!

Old 04-11-2017, 09:30 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew Riley
Nothing?

Well HK is going... Now only have front right woofer.

So anyone have any info on a complete new system how to? I'm not scared to pull wire and do my own work. Just not sure if it works properly due to the unconventional KBus used by the HK system? Would this make the car go wonky, CELs and such?

Any links greatly appreciated.

PS. Anyone with an HK amp, get rid of it now and use the money towards a system that actually works!
You stated you took things apart, was it working before you took it apart?
Maybe a wire is shorted?

Old 04-12-2017, 08:28 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
You stated you took things apart, was it working before you took it apart?
Maybe a wire is shorted?
Yup, was working perfect before.

Yesterday I took it apart again to check the wiring just because. Noticed my tweeter had a 4-ohm sticker on the back!?

Also while I had the wiring out I decided to try an old aftermarket speaker from my R50... Just jerry rigged some wiring to the harness to the speaker, and it worked!

Still trying to figure this weirdo "HK/2 ohm" system.