Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Can I connect to battery with the seats out without issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 01:43 PM
DRMCDAVE
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I connect to battery with the seats out without issue?

I have the battery disconnected to do my install but I want to test the system before I button it all back up.

It's been a bit of a pain but I'm on the home stretch. I'd hate to put everything back only to troubleshoot later.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:34 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
No problem as long as you don't turn on the ignition. Once you turn on the ignition, it will do the airbag check. If it was the stereo you were working on, it should have power without ignition.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:18 PM
DRMCDAVE
1st Gear
So to be clear. I'm understanding this as don't start the car but turn the key to the "on" position so I have power?

I think I'll connect the seat but not bolt it down so I can maintain access to the amp under the seat. I shouldn't have too much adjusting of the amp since I didn't install a sub.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:54 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by DRMCDAVE
So to be clear. I'm understanding this as don't start the car but turn the key to the "on" position so I have power?
I wouldn't turn the key at all. I don't know how you've wired it up, but you can turn on the stock OEM stereo even without a key (although it will power off after 20 minutes).

Old 02-09-2017, 04:26 PM
DRMCDAVE
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
I wouldn't turn the key at all. I don't know how you've wired it up, but you can turn on the stock OEM stereo even without a key (although it will power off after 20 minutes).
I ran a wire off the #10 fuse per the directions from Crutchfield. I have the seats connected again. I just need to connect the wiring harness to the head unit and such and I should be good.