Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio aftermarket sound systems ideas for '06 R53

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 06:29 PM
hooch504
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket sound systems ideas for '06 R53

I chose not spend the extra $$ on a premium sound system for my '06 R53 and have always regretted it. Sadly, I am a guy on a budget and have only recently started to make enough to afford an aftermarket system. Right now I have the basic stereo/CD system (no Harmon Kardon).

I have no idea what is out there now, but would like to keep it as stock as possible. I would like to use the factory locations for the speakers and retain the steering wheel controls. Replacing the head unit is not a deal-breaker if that is my only choice.

My concern is getting the most bang for my buck (looking for suggestions) and reputable dealer/installer in the SF Bay Area. Right now my budget is around $1500, but can go a little higher if that is too low.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:32 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
One of the cheaper options would be the Polk Audio DB6501 kit. I've heard good things about it, but haven't installed it on my own MINI - not sure if I ever will as there are other priorities! There should be some matching Polk Audio speakers that you could use to replace the back speakers too.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:48 PM
hooch504
2nd Gear
Polk Audio DB6501 kit

Originally Posted by gknorr
One of the cheaper options would be the Polk Audio DB6501 kit. I've heard good things about it, but haven't installed it on my own MINI - not sure if I ever will as there are other priorities! There should be some matching Polk Audio speakers that you could use to replace the back speakers too.
Thanks gnkorr, I will definitely look into it. I have one priority (new motor mounts) before the audio system. But, I'm looking forward to a small tax refund and wanted to learn about options.

Much appreciated.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:14 PM
DRMCDAVE
1st Gear
I rewired everything and if I could do it again I would have replaced my HK amp or simply just added speakers.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:20 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by DRMCDAVE
I rewired everything and if I could do it again I would have replaced my HK amp or simply just added speakers.
Because of the labor involved or the sound wasn't better or a combo of both?

What did you put in?

Old 02-12-2017, 11:04 AM
scottyb043
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Just finished redoing my 06 MCS.

I kept the head unit as I wanted my steering wheel controls to work. For the rest I went with off the shelf Alpine equipment and did the install myself (lots of good "how to" vids on youtube for pulling interior panels out etc):
SPS-610C 6.5" Mids and 1" Tweeters
SPS-619 6"x9" Mids
MRV-F300 4 Channel Amplifier
SWR-12D2 12" Subwoofer
Bassworx SW-12B Subwoofer Enclosure
MRV-M500 Mono Amplifier

Let me tell you, this little car is killer now.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:05 PM
James3370
1st Gear
I have a '12 R56 & I just did an aftermarket radio & swapped the door speakers as a temp upgrade until I can get everything together to do high-end door components in the doors, replace the rear speakers & do an amp for it all & sub in the back.

Head Unit : Pioneer DEH-X8800BHS - I chose it for the time-delay, 4-volt outputs & front, rear + sub RCAs. I got it, the Dash Install kit, antenna adapter & the "chimes retention" harness all from Crutchfield. I chose to not also do the kit that retains the factory steering wheel controls because (1) the radio has not only a handheld remote, but iphone app for controlling it & (2) if I lose battery power for whatever reason, the "brain" has to re-setup & if it's buried in the dash, it's a pain to do so I decided against it for those reasons.

Door Midbass location : Rockford Fosgate R165X3 6.5" 3-way coax speakers. I chose these cause can't go wrong with Rockford & they were $35 on Amazon LOL

Door Upper location : Rockford Fosgate R14X2 4" coax speakers. I chose these also cause Rockford & $30 on Amazon.

I cut & spliced the factory speaker harness using a thread on here for the color configurations. Zero issues in clearance, though I did have to re-drill screw holes in the stock factory brackets for the 6.5" speakers. On the 4", I just used 3 of the 4 screws & bet the tab behind the door pull on the 4th tab on the speaker (see pic attached).

Until I can get my "real" system all together & installed, it sounds pretty good :D

Attached Thumbnails aftermarket sound systems ideas for '06 R53-ucm8burra1c5ebjmrphx06ibcpa962cuswiijbu_sd0px92ib.jpg  

Last edited by James3370; 02-21-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:55 AM
Zsm
4th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
One of the first things we did, after we took care of the urgent stuff, was to replace the speakers in the front in my kid's non-HK equipped R53.

As mentioned by gknorr, the Polk db6501 components are what I put in to replace the dry rotted speakers in the car. Pretty inexpensive and fit with minimal hassle on the install.

Also, added an Alpine KTP-44U amp. Wired this in from behind the factory headunit and mounted below the steering wheel. Added a good amount of power, but still having issues with the audio cutting in/out at idle. Any thoughts? Battery is good and the alternator is brand new.

It took a while for the component speakers to break in, but now they sound pretty good. No need to change the rear 6x9s. I may mod the tweeter pods since the Polk tweeters are getting a bit muffled behind the factory covers. GeorgeCo's blog has a good guide

One thing I did notice is that both treble and bass needed to bumped up quite a bit in order to sound decent. I suspect it's just because the HU is crappy. We are targeting to replace the HU with an Alpine down the road. Fortunately, none of this is expensive.

Last edited by Zsm; 02-22-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:03 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
I'm a bit particular when it come to some things, listening to music is one of those things. I have a Magnepan/Classe setup at home. I currently have the HK system in my 06/R53, to me, it sounds really good. If I were you and had $1500, I would try and source out the parts to install the HK unit. You will be able to keep it stock as well as save a few $$$$..

Old 03-22-2017, 11:37 AM
DRMCDAVE
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gknorr
Because of the labor involved or the sound wasn't better or a combo of both?

What did you put in?
I did a pioneer headunit
Hertz 6.5 component set in the doors
Hertz 6x9's
Small clarion amp under the driver seat.

I wired it for a sub but haven't installed one.

It sounds fantastic. My dad said it was the best car stereo that he's ever heard. He's not an audio guy but it does sound really nice.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:02 PM
James3370
1st Gear
Just finished the full stereo install on my '12 R56. Here is my build thread.....if you'd like to check it out

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...o-install.html

Old 06-06-2017, 06:24 PM
BUGETER
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I did a Kenwood HU with an Alpine micro amp coming from the head unit driving the Rockford Fosgate tweeters and mids. I have a Boss powered 10" sub mounted behind the rear seat. Sourced all my pieces, except the Boss sub. Got that on Ebay, from Crutchfield. Used them to compare units and speakers to fit my budget

Old 09-21-2017, 10:50 AM
jjwilbert
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced everything including the wiring, I went with a Kenwood Excelon HU and Polk Audio Shallow mount components. Also put an enclosed JL 10" in the boot, being an R52 not leaving a whole lot of room.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:04 PM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
If your current system is running fine, I'd upgrade components in the following order (from cheapest to most expensive):
1)
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Handsfree-Changer-Adapter-Interface/dp/B06Y66HFC8/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1506020195&sr=8-10&keywords=mini+cooper+r53+aux https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Handsfree-Changer-Adapter-Interface/dp/B06Y66HFC8/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1506020195&sr=8-10&keywords=mini+cooper+r53+aux
(the cheapest option)
2) A good aftermarket HU
3) An adapter that will let you use your steering wheel controls with your HU
4) Speaker wiring
5) Speakers
6) Amp
7) Subwoofer

Old 11-21-2017, 06:14 PM
Subw00er
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
H_C et al,

does that box do this:
-auto start playing when iphone connects?
-use steering wheel controls for forward/back?
-allow you to mount it in glove box to access usb stick easier?

I just bought the belkin carplay but its not very good. Doesnt do any of the above, and it doesnt auto connnect. Im looking for a quality alternative.
-use steering wheel controls for receiving calls?

Old 11-24-2017, 06:38 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Subw00er
H_C et al,

does that box do this:
-auto start playing when iphone connects?
-use steering wheel controls for forward/back?
-allow you to mount it in glove box to access usb stick easier?

I just bought the belkin carplay but its not very good. Doesnt do any of the above, and it doesnt auto connnect. Im looking for a quality alternative.
-use steering wheel controls for receiving calls?
I don't think you are going to get any aftermarket adapter box to have good iPhone support with USB to Lightning connection. You will need a head unit with CarPlay support, and I am not aware of any single DIN. You best option is to get a HU with BT. I have an Alpine and the iPhone experience is very good. Auto start playing without any connection. Steering wheel control. And yes. has USB port for USB thumbdrive too. You can connect the iPhone to it but I never as it treats it like grandpa's iPod.

If you have Apple Watch the new OS's audio control augments the MFSW.