Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio 2008 Clubman S - Adding OEM style Satellite Radio ?s

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 03:29 PM
leftfield6
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2008 Clubman S - Adding OEM style Satellite Radio ?s

I have a 2008 Clubman that is listed on the options sheet as having been shipped with the "satellite radio prep", but alas, not the actual module itself. I've taken a peek under the plastic cover underneath the passenger seat, and can clearly see the two cables that (I'm assuming) are the antenna, and the system connection.

Now, before anyone tells me how much cheaper and simpler it would be to buy an aftermarket add-on receiver, I'll head you off by saying... I know! I just really want the uncluttered look and interface of the OEM set-up.

I have found a used (removed from wrecked 2008 MCS) satellite radio module, and have found that our dear friends at ECS Tuning have the correct brackets and screws to install this inside the under-seat multimedia box.

So, here are my questions:
  • Once I remove the plastic cover under the seat, I assume I will need to remove the piece of styrofoam that is fitted inside the plastic box, right? Looks like the module will fit in place of the styrofoam "placeholder".
  • Once I plug in the system and antenna connections, will my head unit "recognize" the satellite module? Or is there a programming step?
  • This one is wishful thinking. Let's say the guy who owned the wrecked MCS had paid for a lifetime subscription. Any chance in Hades that would kick in for me?
  • Is there any step of this that HAS to be done by my MINI dealer?

Old 07-18-2016, 05:04 PM
leftfield6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by leftfield6

So, here are my questions:
  • Once I remove the plastic cover under the seat, I assume I will need to remove the piece of styrofoam that is fitted inside the plastic box, right? Looks like the module will fit in place of the styrofoam "placeholder".
  • Once I plug in the system and antenna connections, will my head unit "recognize" the satellite module? Or is there a programming step?
  • This one is wishful thinking. Let's say the guy who owned the wrecked MCS had paid for a lifetime subscription. Any chance in Hades that would kick in for me?
  • Is there any step of this that HAS to be done by my MINI dealer?
I used a google search to search this site and found some threads I had not seen before.. I think I can answer some of my own questions.
  • Looks like I was correct, styrofoam comes out, module goes back in it's place.
  • Everything I have found indicates that even after everything is physically installed, I've got to go to the dealer to have it "programmed". Which seems to be just a way for them to charge me a few hundred dollars to plug in their computer and click on a few settings. Wonder if an independent MINI shop can do that?

Old 07-18-2016, 06:19 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
I'm not sure about the year, but have read some similar threads that indicated everything is there (satellite radio prep), you just need to take it to a mini dealer to have it activated via a software update, which as I recall was a bit pricey..

Old 07-21-2016, 09:42 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
I wonder if one of those "code my car" guys could do it? Or through NCS expert? Or maybe an indy garage....

How much did you pay for the used module?

Old 07-21-2016, 01:48 PM
leftfield6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AZdsrt
I'm not sure about the year, but have read some similar threads that indicated everything is there (satellite radio prep), you just need to take it to a mini dealer to have it activated via a software update, which as I recall was a bit pricey..
Satellite prep, at least on my car, means there is no Sirius hardware module installed. I have verified by looking inside the box under the passenger seat. I do have the cables inside that box to plug in the module.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:10 PM
leftfield6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bugeye1031
I wonder if one of those "code my car" guys could do it? Or through NCS expert? Or maybe an indy garage....

How much did you pay for the used module?
I paid $275 including a 30 day "no DOA" warranty.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:31 PM
MCS4FUN
6th Gear
Received 498 Likes on 347 Posts
My (sig) 2013 MCS was build with sat prep but not activated during period of 3-year lease before it was turned back in to the selling MINI dealership where I bought it 2 days later. I considered buying an aftermarket receiver in combo with utilizing the OEM aux input jack but decided instead to reserve the space where that device would mount for my Garmin gps unit.

Turns out that all the necessary hardware was included as-built, but enabling it is much more than simply flashing a code (entire system must be updated which takes a few hours). Labor for that is paid to the MINI dealer plus a 1-time cost associated paid to SiriusXM on top of recurring subscription fee. OK, so I went back to the dealer and cut a deal with the service manager for reduced total OTD price. By googling in advance, I had discovered a 1-year free subscription promo offered to new 2013 BMW (and MINI) owners who activated their units. Since my MCS was a lease vehicle for 3 years, "technically" I was the the first owner. Invoking that promo in June 2016 took collaboration between the MINI service manager and SiriusXM by phone while I waited. It was a costly upgrade nonetheless, however the full year subscription helped offset that and justify (at least for me) for an integrated seamless system. Especially, since I live in the mountains where only a few local AM/FM stations are available.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:15 PM
leftfield6
2nd Gear
ugh.

Finally got around to getting to a dealer today to get my XMSirius module activated. When the technicians tried to go into the programming mode, they came back to me and said "the system cannot detect a SDARS module" so we have nothing to program. I pointed out that there was certainly one physically there, but they said they would have to charge me another hours labor to remove the seat to physically confirm the module was there.

Well, thats silly since I know it's there. I put it there. And the unit was "connected" in that as soon as I plugged it in, there is a green LED behind the connection that began glowing.

So why are they not able to see this? I have to say, they didn't seem overwhelmingly curious or interested in figuring it out.

Any ideas on why their system isn't seeing it? I guess it could be a bad unit, but does that mean they would get an error code? Or would they just not be able to see it?

Old 09-08-2016, 11:06 AM
leftfield6
2nd Gear
Going to bump this again to see if anyone has any input. I really want to get the factory satellite radio working, and I think I may have found the issue.

So here is what I have done.
  • 2008 Clubman S (manufacture date 04/08)
  • VIN number indicates "Satellite Radio Prep"
  • Both antenna and BUS connections present under seat
  • added a used underseat module listed as fitting a 2008-2010 (part number 65 12 9 192 274) I installed it. Basically plugged in the plug and the antenna
  • MINI dealer said it did not show up as being connected. Their computer could not detect it, so they said it must be a bad part. (more on this in a second)
  • I returned the part for a refund
  • Found another underseat module listed as fitting 2002-2008
  • Different part number, this one is 84110150535, and has markings indicating it was manufactured by Alpine.
  • I should receive the item early next week, I'll try the MINI dealer before the end of the week.

Fingers crossed that I have this figured out now. I think I had the wrong part before, and that's why the system could not "see" it. Something changed in the entertainment system in 09/08. The part I originally tried (65 12 9 192 274) is, I'm thinking, the right item for cars manufactured after 09/2008. I'm hoping I now have the right item on it's way to me for a car manufactured 04/2008.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:48 AM
Anthony O.
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did this work out?

Old 10-13-2016, 01:22 PM
leftfield6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Anthony O.
How did this work out?
Sadly, it did not. It turns out the second item I ordered had incompatible coonections, which makes me think it was for the Gen 1 cars. I returned it, since it did not fit.

I gave up and went with an add-on module. I already had a Pioneer XMP3 in a box, along with a car mounting kit, so I gave in and installed it. I was able to connect to the factory XM antenna under the passenger seat, which means at least I didn't have to have another external antenna.

I installed it using a Kuda mount, so it looks halfway decent, but still not the factory look I had hoped for.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:13 AM
Anthony O.
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just purchased an 07 MCS and was following your posts with interest.Looks like I'll have to follow the same route you used. I really don't want extra clutter on the dash.