Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Bluetooth and aux problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 06:26 PM
Michael Hillock
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth and aux problems

The bluetooth, aux and usb all stopped working in my 2008 mini cooper s recently. The icon for bluetooth and aux are gone from the list and the usb does not do anything if I select it.

Then last week on the way to work, the radio (doesnt matter if i am listening to a cd or radio) went black and stopped playing... then popped back on... then off for a bit, then on. This happened two separate times (different days, and different times of day... not heat related as far as i can tell. Any ideas? I have checked the fuses in the cab that seem to be radio related and they are fine.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:48 PM
Pdrnkrn
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Hillock
The bluetooth, aux and usb all stopped working in my 2008 mini cooper s recently. The icon for bluetooth and aux are gone from the list and the usb does not do anything if I select it.

Then last week on the way to work, the radio (doesnt matter if i am listening to a cd or radio) went black and stopped playing... then popped back on... then off for a bit, then on. This happened two separate times (different days, and different times of day... not heat related as far as i can tell. Any ideas? I have checked the fuses in the cab that seem to be radio related and they are fine.
Hi there, I have the same exact problem! All three were working perfectly on my 2009 mini cooper, R56. I do want to note that it happened after I brought it back from a mechanic who i believe disconnected the battery temporarily. I remember starting my car when I went to pick her up and there was a few mins where the radio did not work.

I checked all the fuses, and the USB and AUX ports register as "working" with my electrical reader.

Did you ever find an answer or resolution to this problem?

Old 07-22-2017, 05:53 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Don't think you'll hear much from Mr. Hillock. He has one post from over a year ago. Sorry, couldn't help but be snarky...

Old 07-22-2017, 06:03 PM
Pdrnkrn
Neutral
Originally Posted by AZdsrt
Don't think you'll hear much from Mr. Hillock. He has one post from over a year ago. Sorry, couldn't help but be snarky...
Haha!!! Well would you happen to know of this issue? Any advice? And thank you kindly!

Old 07-31-2017, 09:45 AM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
This will be difficult to diagnose without INPA or a similar tool. The modules you mentioned are connected over the MOST-bus a fiber-optic line. If the line is broken somewhere, then no units will communicate. The gateway is in the main head unit.

There is a MOST diagnostic port , which needs to be closed for the loop to function. Perhaps you can check that as a first step? On RHD cars that is located on the passenger side of the vehicle, not sure on LHD cars.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:06 AM
Pdrnkrn
Neutral
Originally Posted by alexs3d2
This will be difficult to diagnose without INPA or a similar tool. The modules you mentioned are connected over the MOST-bus a fiber-optic line. If the line is broken somewhere, then no units will communicate. The gateway is in the main head unit.

There is a MOST diagnostic port , which needs to be closed for the loop to function. Perhaps you can check that as a first step? On RHD cars that is located on the passenger side of the vehicle, not sure on LHD cars.
curious, do you think this has anything to do with the fact that my car battery was disconnected during its repairs, and now it needs to be registered again? I keep reading about batteries having to be registered after getting disconnected. And this this can affect the bluetooth, AUX, and USB. I found it strange that it all worked perfect, and one trip from the mechanic, and all of a sudden they no longer work?

Old 07-31-2017, 12:17 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
some times it take few minutes to come back after the batt is disconnected. I would say check the module itself. it is under the driver seat. try NOT to unplug the yellow connector (airbag plug). tilt the seat and remove the plastic cover. unplug and plug back. also, try to remove the fuse and reinstall it back. might help!

Old 07-31-2017, 01:35 PM
Pdrnkrn
Neutral

Originally Posted by MiniToBe
some times it take few minutes to come back after the batt is disconnected. I would say check the module itself. it is under the driver seat. try NOT to unplug the yellow connector (airbag plug). tilt the seat and remove the plastic cover. unplug and plug back. also, try to remove the fuse and reinstall it back. might help!
okay so we are not talking about the module that is on the driver's side, lower foot area where we pull the latch to open the hood of the car...... where the EKS is (attaching picture) behind the plastic cover?

this module you speak of, is right under the driver's seat itself? I have never messed with anything underneath the driver seat itself. But I would love to try if it means that I can fix this

Old 07-31-2017, 01:41 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Pdrnkrn

okay so we are not talking about the module that is on the driver's side, lower foot area where we pull the latch to open the hood of the car...... where the EKS is (attaching picture) behind the plastic cover?

this module you speak of, is right under the driver's seat itself? I have never messed with anything underneath the driver seat itself. But I would love to try if it means that I can fix this
That is correct. the picture is for the FRM module (lighting and windows).

once you unbolt the seat, there is a plastic cover on the "floor". remove the cover and there resides the blue tooth module.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:59 PM
Pdrnkrn
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
That is correct. the picture is for the FRM module (lighting and windows).

once you unbolt the seat, there is a plastic cover on the "floor". remove the cover and there resides the blue tooth module.
you are a life saver! Thank you very much, no one has told me that there was a complete separate module for this. And I had no idea of where to find it. I'm going to work on this over the weekend thank you very much!!!

Old 10-19-2017, 12:57 PM
pdeinc
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you are a life saver! Thank you very much, no one has told me that there was a complete separate module for this. And I had no idea of where to find it. I'm going to work on this over the weekend thank you very much!!!
Any success? I also have no Aux/Bluetooth but I just purchased the car (2009 R55) and they weren't working from day one. I did check for the module and that it was connected but haven't gone any further.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:45 PM
Pdrnkrn
Neutral
Originally Posted by pdeinc
Any success? I also have no Aux/Bluetooth but I just purchased the car (2009 R55) and they weren't working from day one. I did check for the module and that it was connected but haven't gone any further.
hello, no luck whatsoever! I dont have the tools to take the seat apart and check the actual module underneath. I have given up and am waiting to take it in and ask an expert soon.

Mine did work very well, it wasnt until the last repair, that it came back not working at all. I have a 2009 R56.

The following users liked this post:
pdeinc (10-20-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 02:49 PM
pdeinc
2nd Gear
While I can take the seat out and did, there was nothing obvious to diagnose so I ended up taking it to a local shop that specializes in European cars. The local BMW dealer won't touch Minis!

I needed the local shop to activate cruise control function for me as well as my car wasn't optioned with it and I added the necessary parts and needed the programing updated. The shop said they had to do quite a bit of 'updating' to my car before they could address the radio issues but in the end everything works and my wallet is $400 lighter.

Last edited by pdeinc; 12-02-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:44 AM
rondayvous
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
hello, no luck whatsoever! I dont have the tools to take the seat apart and check the actual module underneath. I have given up and am waiting to take it in and ask an expert soon.

Mine did work very well, it wasnt until the last repair, that it came back not working at all. I have a 2009 R56.
Wish you had posted an outcome. I have the exact issue you had.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:30 PM
pdeinc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rondayvous
Wish you had posted an outcome. I have the exact issue you had.
Unfortunately the shop failed to explain exactly what they did to get mine working again but from other responses I've seen the failure is simply a coding issue, nothing more. I think it get locked out or reset in some way.