Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Aftermarket infotainment Options

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 06:23 AM
jiggersplat
2nd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Anyone tried putting a choke coil or a ferrite on the power 12v input? Or on the power or audio lines between the head unit and the touchscreen? Seems like it would be super easy and cheap to try.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:16 AM
takrdown
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
I have with no luck unfortunately. I even went as far to get one of these and try it to no avail: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001813524225.html I've place ferrite magnets on every power and ground wire/cable I could find. This is frustrating. The reason I asked about the MCU version is that I think some manufacturers have figured out the ground issues and others have not. The middle letter ('HLA' in mine) is the indicator for the manufacturer. It sounds like MannyJimenez's unit has a separate ground issue than I do. I would over a phone issue over a carplay issue so much that I'm willing to purchase his unit over mine.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:09 AM
scottyb043
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Johnston
I don't know about definitive, but I have a 2010 R57 JCW and it has the exact same CCC older iDrive. My radio looks identical to yours. I have been desperately looking for a replacement for months but there is very little info out there on these units. I just ordered and received this unit. It arrived express DHL about 2 weeks after the order. Once the order was shipped they provided a bunch of install doc in my delivery notification email. I also ordered a new standard radio bezel here. (I might gain some center console space back?) I will be happy to provide pics of the completed install once the rest of the parts arrive for my upgrade, but being impatient I have already tested out the unit. It works great, and looks OEM. It is preloaded with a UI skin that looks like the current OEM mini UI, and is already configured with steering wheel controls. Wireless airplay worked like a snap out of the box and did not require any dongle. The only issue I ran into was the audio was a little loud with the HK system, but I found a setting in the unit where I could tell it the car has the OEM amp installed, and that seemed to resolve it. (Warning for your first boot up to crank that default volume down until you modify the setting) The radio appears to retain standard points of info like fuel level, seatbelt/door alerts however the speedo is in kph (which honestly kinda looks cool..). It also seems to have some ability to interact with functions from the original screen like lighting, oil level, etc. however i have not had time to explore all the menus. From what I can tell the shop in Canada that is selling these is good about communication and will sell you one on one phone help with your install if you need it. If it works as well in the long term as it looks like it will, I will definitely be picking up their FJ Cruiser unit for my other ride... I also got the backup camera and ODBII adapter for it, so I will let you guys know how those work out one I get them setup too... A note on the backup camera, it appears to be very much a plug and play affair, the reverse triggering worked out of the box. It did not come with the cabling for the run, so I am waiting on a 5$ kit from Amazon. No wire modifications were needed for the install, most of the existing connectors just swap directly over, and a couple are simply not used anymore. The new radio components are comically smaller than that gargatuan old DVD Nav so there is a ton of space behind it.
Any follow up on this install?

Thanks

Old 08-08-2021, 09:39 PM
stevelyford
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tat2boy
I can't offer up any advice but I am sorry to hear your Android radio is acting up like this! I'll continue monitoring this thread as I was able to get the Seicane unit working in my gf's car last night via the AMP-CON wire to the harness. Good luck with yours and hopefully there's a software fix for it! Safe to assume it's out of warranty (assuming the seller would honor it of course)?
Can I ask what you found out from Seicane? I am having the exact same issue installing this unit in my son's Mini. I have been struggling with it for the last two days, and I can't figure out how to get the unit working. Any help or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-09-2021, 07:35 AM
tat2boy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by stevelyford
Can I ask what you found out from Seicane? I am having the exact same issue installing this unit in my son's Mini. I have been struggling with it for the last two days, and I can't figure out how to get the unit working. Any help or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hello Stevelyford - Seicane instructed me to connect the two AMP-CON(troller) wires: the one from the head unit to the one on the harness. The AMP-CON wires do not come connected from the factory since the head unit can be used with or without amplifiers. My gf's mini included the factory amp so now it turns on with the head unit. Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 03-28-2023, 05:14 PM
jiggersplat
2nd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Posting my experience with yet another Android head unit... I'm on my 3rd one now

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nit-model.html

Old 09-26-2023, 11:33 AM
trlman
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
At my wits end. Trying to install Carplay PX5 radio head in 2010 R57. Having issue with back-up camera.
Have power to camera from rear power port through relay triggered by backup light.

When placing the car in reverse, the unit starts to beep, as it is getting signal from canbus to operate camera.
The problem is the screen does not show camera. I've tried feeding power to purple wire labeled "back" . and also tried
using "back" wire to trigger rear camera.

Can't find any switch in settings to turn camera of or on.

Any ideas???

Old 09-26-2023, 02:37 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by trlman
At my wits end. Trying to install Carplay PX5 radio head in 2010 R57. Having issue with back-up camera.
Have power to camera from rear power port through relay triggered by backup light.

When placing the car in reverse, the unit starts to beep, as it is getting signal from canbus to operate camera.
The problem is the screen does not show camera. I've tried feeding power to purple wire labeled "back" . and also tried
using "back" wire to trigger rear camera.

Can't find any switch in settings to turn camera of or on.

Any ideas???
Have you tried connecting the rear camera directly to the light rather than using a relay? Just to confirm it’s definitely getting power. Or, even try connecting it to an always on source just to confirm it works.

Old 09-27-2023, 05:34 AM
DogfaceSGM
3rd Gear
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Not sure, mine worked with the relay. I would try jbourne's idea and make sure the camera is working.

Old 01-20-2024, 02:10 PM
lee61561
Neutral
Good afternoon. I just picked up this unit for $150 but no paperwork. Does anyone know where I cpould get that.

Old 01-20-2024, 05:09 PM
DogfaceSGM
3rd Gear
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Are you looking for installation or operation information? To be honest their info wasn't that good. I found better online and videos.

I used this video for installation