North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Navigation & Audio (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/navigation-and-audio-201/)
-   -   Navigation & Audio Y- Cable Extension (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/navigation-and-audio/253943-y-cable-extension.html)

kg4fxg 07-06-2013 07:37 AM

Y- Cable Extension

Is there any reason why you can't plug in the Y-Cable and add an extender to the end that plugs into the iPod?

Not sure if just buying a long version would be better?

Still playing with radio, flash drive, options. I have the Mini Connected with Nav on 2013 HK radio.

With the App Mini Connected is sounds great. If you don't run the App the sound is very low - not good.

Purpose of longer cable is to hide iPod in the car out of sight. Car is the S Coupe.

Do you like the Y-Cable? Have you purchased a longer one and if so where?

Thanks

pfarinelli 07-06-2013 08:11 AM

eBay has a 30 pin extender cable for iPod from various sellers for under $10.00 with shipping. I've bought 2, 1 for me and 1 as a gift for my sisters vehicle.

kg4fxg 07-06-2013 02:36 PM

Y-Cable

Thanks,

It is worth a try. The S Coupe has tinted windows and there is a little mesh net pocket that fits the iPod on the passenger side fine. From the outside of the car I can't even see it.

I seem to like the cable and iPod best. With the Nav System album artwork is beautiful. Simple sync and new playlists. Much easier to me than Flash Drive.

Also love the backup sensors. The Nav display's the car with a picture like radar of what is behind you. Cool.

I can speak the commands and it will play anything, even XM.

Now if I can get her to email me - OK, I am in love with a car.

GLJones 07-07-2013 01:58 AM

Be sure the cable extension you get on eBay says it carries audio and video. Not all of them do.

pfarinelli 07-07-2013 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by GLJones (Post 3770076)
Be sure the cable extension you get on eBay says it carries audio and video. Not all of them do.

Absolutely right, I forgot to mention that in my post.

kg4fxg 07-07-2013 02:40 PM

Y-Cable

I will make sure and thanks.

So many choices. How I listen to music will vary. Wife has new Countryman with basic radio. For that having a Flash Drive might be best for what little I am allowed to drive it.:eek:

Working with a full Nav/Mini Connected system I really like the using my old iTouch. Seems to work great.

Juan A 07-12-2013 08:18 AM

Just FYI, I picked up a 30 pin cable extension at fry's electronics for only 9.95. Works perfectly.

sasquatch 07-19-2013 02:12 PM

It sounds like you are talking about the mini connect system but in my 2012 Cooper S with the Boost radio I simply used an old USB extender cable and 3.5 audio jack extender that I had laying around and ran that up to the left of the steering wheel and put a universal craven speed universal mount there so I can use any size iPhone. Why extend the 30 pin when you can just extend the USB Side of the cable ?

kg4fxg 07-19-2013 02:22 PM

iPod

So far, I like the iPod (iTouch).

I have the mini connected with NAV. Cable allows my old iTouch to hide in the mesh net on the passenger side of center console.

I like it because it displays album art. I can easily navigate playlists, albums, artists, etc.

Only need to update iPod maybe once a month? It charges and would go on forever if left there.

For the wife's Mini without NAV I will use a micro USB stick.

Nice to have choices. Best of all those days are gone trying to transmit via FM to radio for iPod. That never really worked well.