Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Davers
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Retro install and power up

Just powered my retro Nav system and have most things going ( Radio, Nav, Gps ) but it seems though my media combox is not working? I have no Bluetooth and my Usb is not working either. Is there anyway of testing this unit?

Last edited by Davers; 02-25-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:42 PM
trinigladiator
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone know of an independent shop willing to do this install in the Southeast?
I'm in NC.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:54 PM
ke3ee
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I have a 2016 CM ALL4S with HK Bluetooth, connected, voice and SAT radio.which means I have a screen. So can I buy codes from a dealer to activate Nav or do I need an additional piece of hardware installed?

Ive read the complete thread and its great info but a bit confusing to me.

Thanks

Old 03-24-2017, 01:24 PM
Davers
2nd Gear
2012 R57 Nav retrofit

Everything is back together and running ok, the only problem now is the Combox and I am not sure if this needs an FSC code as well as the Sirius radio option everything else in the car is fine.
If I can get this combox working then I'll be a happy person but untill then I'll keep searching for the fix.

Main Screen

Menu to USB and Blutooth

Still not getting the USB and Bluetooth to operate from Combox

Phone option not working due to combox

Nav working fine and acurate

Need to update nav map as this is 2013

Mini connected option on screen but not working due to Combox?

All options available but not working

On board computer working fine

The Donor Car equipment was listed with the following:-
653- Hi Def Radio,
693- Satellite Tuner Prep,
6FP-Radio Visual Boost,
6NE-Enhanced Bluetooth Mobile Prep,
6NF-Ext.Con of music play,
6NM-Mini Connected,
6UF-Traffic Info,
6UM-Mini Nav,
6VC-Combox,
620-Voice input system.

Have now gone with the OEM FSC codes and coded them in with ISTA-P and ICOM all is working perfect

Last edited by Davers; 04-26-2017 at 03:33 PM. Reason: update
The following users liked this post:
SunBird (10-16-2019)
Old 03-25-2017, 11:07 AM
Davers
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ke3ee
I have a 2016 CM ALL4S with HK Bluetooth, connected, voice and SAT radio.which means I have a screen. So can I buy codes from a dealer to activate Nav or do I need an additional piece of hardware installed?

Ive read the complete thread and its great info but a bit confusing to me.

Thanks
From what i understand you have the newer NBT H/U so everything is in the unit rather than Combox with the older versions so I think its just a case of coding?

Old 03-25-2017, 11:31 AM
ke3ee
3rd Gear
Thank you, now to find out if its a code that someone can do or I need to buy the code from Mini.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:14 AM
ke3ee
3rd Gear
Ive called 3 Mini dealers. Their Parts dept's all agree that for model year 2016 and the Options in my car all I should need is a code and programming. Their service depts. also seem to agree somewhat but wont go the extra mile to confirm. They all state that If I want and of course at my cost they would get me a code and try to program. I don't mind and certainly expect to pay, but they all say that if they cant make it work I still have to pay for both the code and labor. I'm more than willing to go ahead of anyone of them would call, write etc to Mini to try and confirm.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:17 AM
Davers
2nd Gear
Ive called 3 Mini dealers. Their Parts dept's all agree that for model year 2016 and the Options in my car all I should need is a code and programming. Their service depts. also seem to agree somewhat but wont go the extra mile to confirm. They all state that If I want and of course at my cost they would get me a code and try to program. I don't mind and certainly expect to pay, but they all say that if they cant make it work I still have to pay for both the code and labor. I'm more than willing to go ahead of anyone of them would call, write etc to Mini to try and confirm.
If your mini is prepped for it then it just needs a code check here and add the last 7 of your vin and see http://bimmer.work/. I just added my NAV FSC from the dealer yesterday and works perfect no problems just have to order my Sirius FSC code to activate my SAT Radio

Old 04-24-2017, 10:50 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Hope it all works out.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-26-2017, 06:13 AM
ke3ee
3rd Gear
What am I looking for in the list of options? Belo0w is what is showing.

6FP
Radio Mini Visual Boost
Radio Mini Visual Boost
6NE
Enhanced Bluetooth Mobile Preparati
Erweiterte Handy Vorbereitung Bluet
6NF
Ext.con.of The Music Play.i.mobilph
Music-schnittstelle Fuer Smartphone
6NM
Mini Connected
Mini Connected
6VC
Control Combox
Steuerung Combox
Voice Input System
Spracheingabesystem
Satellite Radio
Satellitentuner
Hifi Loudspeaker System Harman Kardon
Hifi-system Harman/kardon

Old 04-26-2017, 04:01 PM
Davers
2nd Gear
What am I looking for in the list of options? Belo0w is what is showing.

6FP
Radio Mini Visual Boost
Radio Mini Visual Boost
6NE
Enhanced Bluetooth Mobile Preparati
Erweiterte Handy Vorbereitung Bluet
6NF
Ext.con.of The Music Play.i.mobilph
Music-schnittstelle Fuer Smartphone
6NM
Mini Connected
Mini Connected
6VC
Control Combox
Steuerung Combox
Voice Input System
Spracheingabesystem
Satellite Radio
Satellitentuner
Hifi Loudspeaker System Harman Kardon
Hifi-system Harman/kardon
Well it looks like you would have to swap out your H/U if you want Navigation as you only have Visual boost radio with no Nav

Old 05-27-2017, 02:04 PM
Jarz21
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finishing the process of installing a CCC into my 2009 MCS (got a decent deal from my local junkyard; otherwise might have gone the newer CIC route instead). I will post some more information about my install later, but just realized that this unmarked black thing on the CID (video display) ground wire had broken. The screen is still functional without it connected, so I'm just trying to figure out if I can simply bypass it with a solid ground wire or find a replacement electrical part from Radio Shack or Digikey. Anyone know what it is/ does?

And as a teaser for my retrofit project, here is the view from my front-facing camera:

Old 06-30-2017, 10:40 AM
mandomedic
Neutral
Snap In Adapter Arm Rest Retrofit Wiring

Hello, am doing the Navigation Connected Retrofit into my MCS07 and also want to add the Arm Rest with the Snap in Adapter. Has anyone done this and if so, can someone help me with the wiring to the combox. Thanks in Advance

Old 08-19-2017, 08:57 AM
cgr
Neutral
Gentlemen,

All great stuff here, thanks for your how-to's and write-ups!

I am preparing a retrofit of a 2009 R55 with a CCC. Parts are all here, except for the GPS cable. Antenna is mounted already, now I am trying to figure out what part number to buy for the cable and where it is routed through the cabin.

Any thoughts, does anybody know we're the cable is mounted?

Best wishes

Cgr

Old 08-19-2017, 09:07 AM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cgr
Gentlemen,

All great stuff here, thanks for your how-to's and write-ups!

I am preparing a retrofit of a 2009 R55 with a CCC. Parts are all here, except for the GPS cable. Antenna is mounted already, now I am trying to figure out what part number to buy for the cable and where it is routed through the cabin.

Any thoughts, does anybody know we're the cable is mounted?

Best wishes

Cgr
I ordered 16 feet of cable from Amazon it's a basic cable with two blue female fakra ends which sitll should be the correts color for the antenna. Was only $14 bucks.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:29 AM
ahorvath
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I did not replace the OEM antenna so I did not have to run the cable but if I have to guess it should run the same place where your radio antenna runs.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:46 AM
ke3ee
3rd Gear
parts numbers

Originally Posted by Davers
Well it looks like you would have to swap out your H/U if you want Navigation as you only have Visual boost radio with no Nav

So looking on RealOem.com the part number for my car with and without Nav. are the same for the HU and display. Wondering what it should cost to buy the code and have the dealer try it.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:53 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
They might charge an hour flash or more. I know the codes can sometimes be expensive.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-01-2017, 11:42 PM
cgr
Neutral
Good morning,

Starting to disassemble my r55 from 2009 now to get the CCC in. All looks good so far, but I am not sure how to do the wiring..

Did you replace the whole harness on the dashboard, or you just fixed the differences manually?

For the differences I am getting the impression that there aren't too many - so far only the GPS cable and the joystick are obvious, maybe the fan of the CCC, too. Anything else I should adjust?

If it is really not a lot more, I rather leave the existing harness than messing with the guts of the dashboard that intensely...

Thanks for your help and thoughts!

cgr

Old 09-02-2017, 07:33 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by cgr
Good morning,

Starting to disassemble my r55 from 2009 now to get the CCC in. All looks good so far, but I am not sure how to do the wiring..

Did you replace the whole harness on the dashboard, or you just fixed the differences manually?

For the differences I am getting the impression that there aren't too many - so far only the GPS cable and the joystick are obvious, maybe the fan of the CCC, too. Anything else I should adjust?

If it is really not a lot more, I rather leave the existing harness than messing with the guts of the dashboard...
Definitely do not need to replace the existing wiring! I did the exact same conversion. I hand-built a cable for the joystick and (referring to the wiring diagrams) spliced it into the main radio harness. There are only four wires — power, ground, CAN bus High, CAN bus Low. Posi-Tap connectors are your friend — buy a handful and save yourself a lot of swearing and mistakes.

my CCC came without the fan attached; I wasn't even aware of it until later. It survived one summer OK so I guess it's fine, but longevity may suffer. (But these cars get totaled or die of German-design old age before 200k so I don't think that matters.)

Old 09-02-2017, 07:39 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by cgr
... the differences I am getting the impression that there aren't too many - so far only the GPS cable and the joystick are obvious, maybe the fan of the CCC, too. Anything else I should adjust?
Got cut off; NAM's mobile web editor is glitchy. Regarding the GPS cable, I bought a GPS antenna with FAKRA connector for $11 on eBay. Look for a listing that mentions BMW or VW compatibility.

instead of replacing the entire radio antenna system to use the GPS antenna in a factory setup, I just used adhesive 3M Dual Lock fastener to mount the antenna inside the dash. Place it as far foreword as you can easily manage to maximize its "view" of the sky.

someimes simpler is better. This is one of those times.

while the built in nav was nice what I really liked was finally having a usable way to browse and search the music in my iPhone built into the dash.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:55 AM
cgr
Neutral
Just a quick status from my side: Just fired up my Nav last weekend ;-)

What I did so far:
- Replaced the roof antenna by the Mini GPS antenna
- Ran new generic 4 m antenna cable to dashboard (a little bit of spare, 3.5m would have been enough, because I used the original first bit of cable run out of a spare wiring harness for the dashboard)
- Disassembled 80 percent of the dashboard
- Installed new joystick
- Installed new speedometer with CID
- Installed new CCC
- Build a adapter wiring harness, mainly connecting 12V, ground and CAN H/L from existing harness
- Ran new wires for some of the 12V and ground connections to passenger side circuit breaker module
- Build a wiring harness for the CCC fan and the old AUX IN (as backup, as I have BT installed there is a AUX IN / USB connector already through the MULF(?))

So far all is good. Now I need to run a new ground cable still (bigger diameter for more current needed by CCC), reassemble dashboard, and finally code the CCC so that it fits to my VO (or FA in German).

Will keep you posted :-)

Old 10-07-2017, 05:21 PM
russellg
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is good timing.

I've just joined NAM but I have already recently been sourcing the parts to conduct a CCC Nav upgrade to CIC/CHAMP on my 2007 R56 MCS. The big driver for me was to retrofit DAB digital radio (DAB is similar to SAT radio available in US but is a free to air terrestrial system). So rather than bolting on the DAB tuner to the CCC I decided to go for a full system upgrade.

Although my R56 already has a MULF with telephone base plate and iPod connectivity etc, it has no Bluetooth streaming.

I've opted to install a Media combox as part of the retrofit but I'm hoping that instead of running a 'telephone base plate with video' I will hook up the combox to a USB with AV-IN to facilitate playing video over USB. I'm not actually sure if that is possible (I don't believe it's possible even on the factory CIC) but it's not the end of the world if it's not. At first glance of the schematic it looks like there is no way to play video without a 'telephone base plate with video' but as I experiment over the next few months I will report back with my findings.

However, coding it might be a challenge, I've coded plenty of F-series vehicles in recent times but the last real coding I did with NCS Expert was along time ago on a E46, although I did manage a couple of minor customisations on my R53, but even that was a couple of years ago.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:31 AM
ag3nt
Neutral
Hello and thanks for the great guide.
It made most Things clear, but ive got some Little issues while retrofitting Navigation on a LCI:

my old Radio did not have a most Connection. Shall there just be a most cable between the Radio and combox or do i have to connect it somewhere else, too?

Many thanks in advance..

Old 01-22-2018, 11:56 AM
Davers
2nd Gear
So looking on RealOem.com the part number for my car with and without Nav. are the same for the HU and display. Wondering what it should cost to buy the code and have the dealer try it.
The price for the codes vary but expect to $400+ for each code required,if I remember the Sirius code was the cheapest at about $150.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.