Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio MINI Audio Basics: Specs, Details, and Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 01:38 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
I was doing some research into the Bavsound for my 2013 JCW with HK and it looks like the only package available is the 2 tweeters and 2 midrange front speakers. Are there plans to create a full package including the under-seat subs like the F-series cars? The price seems pretty reasonable for the package as is, but I'm curious as to how much of a difference I will notice from these 4 speakers. I currently have the bass levels set to -4 and treble up +4 or so to make music seem "balanced".

Old 10-10-2016, 01:48 PM
Bavsound
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Pretty sure I'm going to do my F56 with Bavsound. Just wish the installers were a bit closer and more reasonable in price. Close to $500 to install the complete package and woofers is more than I can handle. The woofers are especially easy looking, can't imagine they take more than 1/2 hour for a pro, which at $150 is crazy money.
If install is more than you want to cover, you may want to consider knocking it our yourself... If you can put together IKEA furniture, you can do it. Honestly.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:54 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
It's the rear speakers that are not easy for me to get to. Too old and inflexible now. Even your install video had him going off the rails in a cursing fit, scared me off of DIY.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:55 PM
Bavsound
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 3lusive
I was doing some research into the Bavsound for my 2013 JCW with HK and it looks like the only package available is the 2 tweeters and 2 midrange front speakers. Are there plans to create a full package including the under-seat subs like the F-series cars? The price seems pretty reasonable for the package as is, but I'm curious as to how much of a difference I will notice from these 4 speakers. I currently have the bass levels set to -4 and treble up +4 or so to make music seem "balanced".
Your vehicle doesn't have under seat subs, so unfortunately we aren't going to be making them / offering them for your car.

That said, you'd be surprised at the difference 4 speakers can make, especially those closest to your ears. Midrange + high frequency (tweeters) are the two most important parts of the audio spectrum to human hearing; an upgrade in that frequency range with your front speakers is far and away the biggest bang for the buck that any audio upgrade can provide. In fact, for customers on a budget, that's what we suggest if they can't afford our "full" Stage One that's available for other applications.

I know you'll love the upgrade, but if you don't, your purchase is fully protected; we offer a 100 Day In-Car Trial. If you're not in love, pay someone to remove the product, send it back, and send us the bill; we'll refund you for all of it, including installation costs. We're able to offer this because we know how much you'll appreciate the upgrade, and because basically no one ever takes us up on this offer.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:43 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bavsound
Your vehicle doesn't have under seat subs, so unfortunately we aren't going to be making them / offering them for your car.

That said, you'd be surprised at the difference 4 speakers can make, especially those closest to your ears. Midrange + high frequency (tweeters) are the two most important parts of the audio spectrum to human hearing; an upgrade in that frequency range with your front speakers is far and away the biggest bang for the buck that any audio upgrade can provide. In fact, for customers on a budget, that's what we suggest if they can't afford our "full" Stage One that's available for other applications.

I know you'll love the upgrade, but if you don't, your purchase is fully protected; we offer a 100 Day In-Car Trial. If you're not in love, pay someone to remove the product, send it back, and send us the bill; we'll refund you for all of it, including installation costs. We're able to offer this because we know how much you'll appreciate the upgrade, and because basically no one ever takes us up on this offer.
Doh, I didn't even realize that the R56 didn't have under-seat subs. Thanks for clarifying i'll have to think about it, I saw the installation video and looks fairly straightforward. I don't mind the HK audio as is, but I'm curious as to how much better it could sound...I do plan on keeping this car a while (only 13.8k miles on it!) and may be commuting between Sac/Bay Area for school soon.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Bavsound
2nd Gear
Doh, I didn't even realize that the R56 didn't have under-seat subs. Thanks for clarifying i'll have to think about it, I saw the installation video and looks fairly straightforward. I don't mind the HK audio as is, but I'm curious as to how much better it could sound...I do plan on keeping this car a while (only 13.8k miles on it!) and may be commuting between Sac/Bay Area for school soon.
Install in your car is ridiculously easy. Mere minutes.

Biggest difference is clarity, detail, richness, liveliness, etc. Lots of customers with HK upgrade and rave about the difference.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:13 PM
Naylia
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[/LIST]This is partially true; it really depends on the application and audio system in question.

For those applications where we use a coaxial speaker to replace the midranges, they can handle additional power, but it needs to be modest. 45W RMS of clean power, conservatively tuned should actually be no problem. 100W would be too much for sure.
Heard the same back form your reps, very happy with just dropping in the Stage 1, but with the top down I think I'll try the alpine power pack to get a few more db out if he system.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:20 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Naylia, was the stage 1 the tweeter and midrange (2x tweeter 2x midrange) for you as well? Do you notice significant increases in sound quality?

Old 10-10-2016, 10:46 PM
Naylia
3rd Gear
Naylia, was the stage 1 the tweeter and midrange (2x tweeter 2x midrange) for you as well? Do you notice significant increases in sound quality?
I have the base system, so the Stage 1 is a single pod that has a midrange and discreet tweeter in the same unit (not the A-pillar ear level discrete tweeters). Easily noticeable and very solid improvement in clarity of sound. Here's a pic of the stock vs bavsound side by side. Huge difference in quality of construction.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:58 AM
sasquatch
2nd Gear
Bavsound, Isn't there another speaker in the lower part of the 2nd Gen cars door?

Install in your car is ridiculously easy. Mere minutes.

Biggest difference is clarity, detail, richness, liveliness, etc. Lots of customers with HK upgrade and rave about the difference.
Looks like there is a grill for another speaker in the lower corner of the door .
Do you have a direct replacement for that one as well ?

Also, What is the Alpine power boost the other person mentioned?
Is that a kit for the mini as well ?

Old 10-11-2016, 12:07 PM
Naylia
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sasquatch
Looks like there is a grill for another speaker in the lower corner of the door .

Alpine Power Pack is just a very small 45W after market amplifier that connect between your stereo and the speakers to provide more power. You would use the "universal" version. They're like a $100 on Amazon.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:21 PM
Bavsound
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sasquatch

We don't have a replacement for the larger door speaker, but it's definitely on the radar. Right now we are still building our Mini product line as well as overall business. As sales increase for Mini we are likely to begin focusing more development efforts on further projects and upgrades. I can't promise anything right now, but it's certainly possible, yes.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:23 PM
Bavsound
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Naylia
Heard the same back form your reps, very happy with just dropping in the Stage 1, but with the top down I think I'll try the alpine power pack to get a few more db out if he system.
Yep, more power is always nice in a convertible. You can typically get away with it in a hardtop, but if you like jammin' out with the top down, an amp doesn't hurt things.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:17 PM
jeffaj
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Integral Audio Soundstage + Subwoofer 5 year review

Still LOVE, LOVE, LOVE listening to music in my 2013 MCS!!! I installed the Integral Audio full soundstage & sub kit as soon as I took delivery in Jan 2013. The price did seem high initially but is worth EVERY penny. I now think maybe it was too reasonable...Just the endless hours of engineering to create an "exactness" of soundstage fill inside the car is a feat that only after some listening time can be fully appreciated.

The sound accuracy, separation, clarity and depth is still such a joy to hear 5 years later. Just the other day I was listening to a track with some very subtle complex base notes and STILL marvel over how perfectly they resonate inside the car.

Also, Integral Audio is the best vendor. As many will testify, Kevin Bennett stands behind his products before and after the sale and will personally take the time to help anyone.

Now the downside of owning the Integral Audio kit.... becoming obsessed with the fantastic sound quality! Satellite radio sounds OK (but too compressed). I now only listen to CDs or a Gen5 Ipod (with the Wolfson chip) loaded with lossless tracks to really enjoy the sound accuracy. And, I can never sell this Mini!! Sometimes I sit in the garage (with a charger on the battery) to really appreciate the incredible sound!

Thanks Kevin for creating such a fine product and making my Mini such a joy!!!

The following users liked this post:
Knydies (03-26-2020)
Old 01-21-2018, 01:03 PM
Pabs
Neutral
I am buying a 2010 Cooper Clubman with standard audio. Have seen a s/h HK set, speakers, head, amp, about $150, but from a 2006 Mini. Will it fit mine, and will it make a worthwhile difference? Thanks, Paul

Old 01-21-2018, 01:40 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Pabs
I am buying a 2010 Cooper Clubman with standard audio. Have seen a s/h HK set, speakers, head, amp, about $150, but from a 2006 Mini. Will it fit mine, and will it make a worthwhile difference? Thanks, Paul
It is not compatible. Even if you could wire it up, it would not sound good. Different interior shape, different resonances, different speaker positions.

Keep looking for an R56 HK system. Or just buy an amp and a set of components for the front. I was stunned just how good music sounded in my 2009 Clubman when I put in a set of 2-way Infinity drivers in the front (mid woofer in the door, tweeters in the A-pillars, disabled the factory 3.5” middle drivers) driven by a JL Audio XD200/2. Even speaker drivers alone make a huge difference.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:20 AM
white3
4th Gear
I also must chime in about the Integral Audio Soundstage. I have a 2010 R56 and having put up with the HK system long enough, I installed the IA subwoofer first, and then went with the entire system. Wow! What a difference! Since the entire system is tuned to the car right from the start-you dont need to change treble, bass etc to get the sound correct. It has been tested to sound as accurate as possible with all controls in the default position. Its not an inexpensive system-but if you really love music, its worth every penny. (And with MINI charging as much as they do for packages these days, its really not out of line) If you plan on keeping your car-get this system, you will not regret it.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:51 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
The guy from IA use to post on this forum frequently, haven't seen him around in a long time..

Old 02-17-2018, 05:34 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
IA, gave up waiting on them to finish the system for the F56. No longer a vendor here, either is Bavsound. Just not enough audio dollars on the MINI side of things to keep them happy.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:50 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by AZdsrt
The guy from IA use to post on this forum frequently, haven't seen him around in a long time..
He’s not active much on the forums lately, but he’s alive and working on projects. But...

Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
IA, gave up waiting on them to finish the system for the F56. No longer a vendor here, either is Bavsound. Just not enough audio dollars on the MINI side of things to keep them happy.
...like Minnie the Moocher (great song) says, the MINI market is damn small and hard to make a living on. Especially when you care as much about quality as Kevin does. BavSound makes semi-generic parts that drop into any BMW; IA tunes the driver design and crossovers for specific cars. It’s a lot more time-intensive — and this expensive — way to make a product.

My point being: I don’t think it’s about there being enough dollars to keep them happy. I don’t think there are enough dollars anymore to keep them eating.

MINI sales have been dropping steadily for years, and BMW has changed its target audience from people with passion (who tend to be willing to buy products like expensive sound systems) to people who just want a four door hatch or wagon. The Countryman sells well and is keeping MINI USA alive, but a passion car it ain’t.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:41 AM
white3
4th Gear
Speaking of passion, I just dont see it as much in the 3rd gen forums as I did in the 2nd gen forum. I also get the feeling that attributes such as audio quality are falling out of favor. Its all about visual tech in cars now. Everyone talks about Teslas big touch screens but I have never once saw a review of how their sound system performed. MINI has been doing well on the tech front (heads up display, touchscreen interface etc) but has never really provided great sound systems from the factory.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:48 AM
kurtsunn
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure if this is even active, but does anyone know if the base stereo 6.5" driver can be replaced with the HK 6.5" driver - don't care too much about sonic quality, more concerned about it fitting physically and the connector working - just need to get a stereo back to working as a result of a blown speaker in the base stereo setup.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:02 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by kurtsunn
Not sure if this is even active, but does anyone know if the base stereo 6.5" driver can be replaced with the HK 6.5" driver - don't care too much about sonic quality, more concerned about it fitting physically and the connector working - just need to get a stereo back to working as a result of a blown speaker in the base stereo setup.
Don’t do it, unless you get the part for free the sonic characteristics don’t match at all; better to have a disconnected speaker. But let me be helpful instead now:
https://www.allmagautoparts.com/coll...io-radio-parts

good vendor, I’ve had good experiences buying from them.

i wonder if I still have the door speakers from my pre-upgrade R55 in the garage… I’ll check tonight. If I do I’ll mail you one. I’ve got no use for them.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:48 AM
kurtsunn
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bratling

Don’t do it, unless you get the part for free the sonic characteristics don’t match at all; better to have a disconnected speaker. But let me be helpful instead now:
https://www.allmagautoparts.com/coll...io-radio-parts

good vendor, I’ve had good experiences buying from them.

i wonder if I still have the door speakers from my pre-upgrade R55 in the garage… I’ll check tonight. If I do I’ll mail you one. I’ve got no use for them.
Wow, if you do have them and could send one that would be great. This is really a project car for me and the first car for my step daughter, sadly, ever since we got it, it's been one thing after an other ... CELs, blown runflat, and now the blown speaker ... your time, effort and generosity are really appreciated.

Old 11-17-2021, 08:30 AM
Yoshimura 1
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
More info on the install .......