Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio aftermarket head units

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:04 AM
blunderbird
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
aftermarket head units

i just got an 07 MCS (R56 i suppose?), its got the basic 6 speaker system. i don't even think its the boost or anything like that.

i pulled the system out of the truck i traded in...focal components and coaxials, kenwood excelon deck, OG soundstream reference amp etc. i have designed and put together enough systems to know i need to do complete research first before tearing into it. I don't mind running new wires for everything, i am not totally concerned with integrating with the factory wiring, i know how to work around that without splicing.

i know they make a dash kit to setup a double or single din to these cars. but it seems like some of the functions of the car are tied in with the factory deck...i know i can add a chime module to keep the key in, lights and door chimes. but will i lose the major functions of the factory on board computer if i swap in an aftermarket deck?

Old 12-17-2012, 04:42 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There have been a few double DIN units installed into the R56 platform of car. It is tedious and needs to special stuff, like a ribbon cable. It's more than just a chime module but since I'm no expert on the matter and have only read the threads I suggest some good old fashioned searching ans reading to get you moving in the right direction.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:05 AM
dustint
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can get a chime module fairly inexpensively. It's the functions that are built into the speedometer, trip computer, temp gauges, clock, etc... Those are what you'd lose.

Honestly, I've done systems in all my previous vehicles and when I looked into this one I decided not to do it. I'm going to replace the front's, add some tweeters and a 3 channel amp. I'll add a custom sub box and a single 10". All this will work off the speaker outputs on the amp. So, I'll lose f\r fading and the tone controls will be pretty basic. But, I'd rather go this route with first quality speakers, amps and the sub then lose the look and functions of the car. I'm not so picky about the audio in my car nowadays. Now, my home theater is another story.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:37 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did the double din DVD install with the metra kit.
There was some hassle involved some of it was operator error.
Some because it is just a hard car to work on with the torx screws and
being so small.

I'm glad I did it. Daughter watche's the DVD now.

The sound is 100000 times better. I have JVC DVD, sound ordinance amp, and boston accoustics speakers.

The biggest hassle was getting all the wires for input and output run through
the center console. Not much room there. I ran the power along the edge of
the door that was easy.

I miss the clock sometimes and the mpg calculator.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:55 PM
blunderbird
2nd Gear
so, the only function i can discern on the speedo display is the AVG MPG calculator and the clock. all those are duplicated on the Tach display. i can't see the speedo display anyway cause i'm usually driving with polarized shades...

i guess the real question is where is the brain located?

Old 01-02-2013, 06:48 PM
NFrazier
1st Gear
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5050065&type=3

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5050065&type=3

We do quite a few of these cars. It has no ill effect on the dealership connecting their tools to the vehicle. In fact of a lot of the upgrades come from the dealer to us. If you dont mind losing the display, it's not that expensive.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 PM
blunderbird
2nd Gear
top notch work!

are those all the Metra kit?

Old 01-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Juppers
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
No reason to lose that display at all. Several of us have installed aftermarket head units without losing that functionality.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-install.html

Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 PM
blunderbird
2nd Gear
i really don't see the point to keeping a radio i won't use to retain a display i don't look at, i don't need 3 clocks or 2 readouts of MPG. i don't have the bluetooth package.

what do you do for a dimmer lead?

Old 01-03-2013, 06:15 AM
NFrazier
1st Gear
Yes they r all Metra kits. And when using the bmrc-01 the harness supplies accessory, illumination, Vss and reverse via can protocol.

moreover, once u go into the different years and different trims, the ribbon cable changes. also the dash changes a little bit. in the 07 there is a TON of room behind the center cluster. However in I believe 09+ there is < 2" behind the cluster.

Last edited by NFrazier; 01-03-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 AM
keduMINI
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Juppers
No reason to lose that display at all. Several of us have installed aftermarket head units without losing that functionality.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-install.html
+1 on the comment above, which I support based on aesthetics over the blank out panels supplied with the Metra kit. Blank out panels however are a fine workaround.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tallation.html

3 feet of ribbon cable (Diy-08-00073: diy-beamer.com) were daisy chained from the speedo to the OEM radio placed in the compartment above the glove box (1 solid day to install myself--planning on paper took 2 days).

Used these harnesses (QCBMW-F; http://www.installer.com) to couple all of the connections where necessary.

My original Speedo digital display (2010 MCS Clubman R55) is set to shows time of day only (for continuity of lighting on dash), and the *****/buttons in the speedo are still operable but no longer provide a usable function (i.e., volume control increases/decreases numerical value in the display panel but does not affect volume of aftermarket DNX9990HD headunit nor the volume of Metra replacement chime (BMRC-01).

The aftermarket headunit option is a definite consideration: For my install, in one package, I now have bluetooth hands-free phone, SiriusXM, Pandora, aha, Kenwood bluetooth USB audio, Navigation (free map updates), reverse camera, steering wheel control, DVD, Ipod...