North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Navigation & Audio (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/navigation-and-audio-201/)
-   -   Navigation & Audio 2011 CooperS R57 Stock Alarm vs Aftermarket Alarm (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/navigation-and-audio/207740-2011-coopers-r57-stock-alarm-vs-aftermarket-alarm.html)

MMACrypt 04-05-2011 07:43 AM

2011 CooperS R57 Stock Alarm vs Aftermarket Alarm

Hey guys again, I think this is my last question for the woman before we pull the trigger on this car.

The background: The woman is getting the car so we've been learning as much as we can or at least trying to to. And see, I posted the R57 in the title, something I've learned here :wink: Anyways, she loves the premium package for everything in install inside but she hates the chrome on the outside. So, we started pricing the parts of the premium package separately. I made a post about the stereo and got good responses from you all and now we are sold on the HK system versus going aftermarket.

But now, we are to the alarm part. Mini wants 500 for their system, sounds like it's a good system from the little bit I've read. Has a proxy inside, separate battery source, however, it's only 1 way. Talking to the guys are Cartoys which are certified and it doesn't kill the warranty, it looks like we can spend the same 500 or less and get what I "think" is a better system. It's 2-way, great range, has the option of a proxy also.

So, I would just like a little feedback and any input you guys might have. I feel good about the direction I was sent in regards to my stereo question now lets see where this goes.

Thanks guys.

yetti96 04-05-2011 10:24 AM

IMO the factory one is ehh, its good for the reach-in sensor but other than that it is an annoying chirp when you lock it. The aftermarket install will be very costly and nearly nobody does it. It requires the BMW bypass and such. Tones of labor and very few kits for it out there. I like Viper and other Directed Eltronics stuff. I had a 5901 and loved it on my truck but I would never do an install on the MINI, you would still need both fobs too.

peeti 04-05-2011 01:43 PM

Go factory. As mentioned above the proxy sensor is great. I had the top down, reached in to grab my coat off back seat and set it off. Very well executed there.

Arming beeps - don't like them, shut them off from the FOB.

As for two way, to each their own. But in my opinion, an alarm is only there to ward off the casual grabber. If it's someone who wants your car, they're getting it. In fact, let them have it. What are you going to do if your 2way pages you - go confront the guy? Get yourself killed quickly that way. It's just metal and rubber and such - it can be replaced.

I say go factory!

MMACrypt 04-05-2011 02:10 PM

Thanks guys for the input.

yetti96 04-05-2011 02:27 PM

The 2-way feature is nice if you happen to confront an assailant carrying and are "in fear of your life" in a state with a good castle doctrine law. I do not condone anything illegal, it is just nice to know that if you are in range, you can go and see what's going on. But for a MINI if you needed an alarm go factory.

MINIDean 04-05-2011 03:38 PM

Go factory. Besides, the pulsing LED's on the tach are cool!

Melangell 04-05-2011 08:08 PM

I had my windows rolled down a couple of days ago and a bumble bee flew through one and out the other... setting off the alarm! I was amazed.

MMACrypt 04-06-2011 07:23 AM

them bumble bees have been known to lift off a lot of stuff, good thing you had the alarm. :D