Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Double DIN Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 03:11 PM
matts
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wuttuptae
From what I've read in this thread, the speedometer should work fine for both the large, center one (which has always been mechanically linked in my experience) and the display in the steering column dash (digital, I'm assuming it's connected to the big speedo). The tachometer should also work fine since that is also mechanically linked to the engine.

What no longer works is the informational LCD in the center speedometer -- where you would see the radio station you're listening to, etc. See matts picture. There are now three empty slots inside the center speedo face where the board computer info/driver information center, preset buttons, and all the other buttons used to sit.

That Driver Information Center LCD and the associated buttons all feed off the stock radio that was removed. It sounds like (from the description, anyway) the BMRD-01 is what's needed to keep that LCD functional. $120 is quite pricey, but I'm definitely interested in this thread because I plan to change out the stock radio as well.

matts, how is the DNX6960? I was looking at the same receiver or maybe the DNX9960. I'm a big fan of Kenwood eXcelon gear, but I've read about a lot of lock-ups. Have you experienced any?

It's my wife's car and she loves the system. We were warned of a s/w bug - if you touch the album art in control mode the screen goes blue and says display not available. Subsequently pressing the function button clears the blue and the message. She has accidently experienced that a few times but no lockups.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:30 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by matts
Not sure how that works though. The speedo display is actually part of the radio that is removed. Also, the picture for the BMRD-01 on autotoys is actually the BMRC-01.

The display and the radio section can be dismantled from each other. the japanese do it but i am not sure exactly how it is done.

As for teh Metra BMRD-01 it is not yet currently available. Have been hearing that for a while now that it should be soon but with Metra soon in my experience could easliy be a year or more.

For the display to work you would need to have the BMRD-01 and for the gongs to continue working you would need the BMRC-01.

But as Strobey said if you take the car back toteh dealer for any serivce that requires them to check or update the electronics you WILL have a problem. The OEM Radio MUST be there for the systems to be upgraded.

BMRC-01

BMRD-01

Last edited by schatzy62; 11-27-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:36 PM
perro
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My plan is to put in completely new system (wireing included) and put the radio connector somewhere in the leg compartment, so I can connect the radio when needed...

Peter

Old 12-06-2010, 05:24 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Much as the factory deck is unliked, I think Metra's system is only half way there and still not a really good option. Cosmetically, the dash looks like azz in my opinion with their solution and if you have a car still under warantee, it's too much risk.

I still have the JBL MS8 on my radar. Just haven't seen or heard anyone iwth a mini doing a full install with one that can provide details.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:23 AM
Bnewmyer
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont do it

I can now confirm that its possible to install the double din and reroute the original radio to behind the speedo, without buying any additional ribbon cables, using the Metra kit people mentioned in this thread, and retain functionality of your OEM radio screen and computer while using the new double din for your audio (see attached pic). I can also confirm that it's not worth it. I'm mechanically savvy and this took me and a friend who does pro audio full time almost 24h straight to accomplish. When people in the forums tell you it's a pain in the ***, it's an understatement. This may be the hardest thing I've ever done mechanically. It does not want to fit back there.