Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio redoing my trunk for a pair of Dayton10's...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:26 PM
miniSQ
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
redoing my trunk for a pair of Dayton10's...

and believe it or not this will actually use less space than my single 12 did.

I just got tired of having a 1 cuft box in the boot...just too big.

So this box will be .65 total, and will house a pair of Dayton low-profile subs and if you look to the right you will see the shelf that will hold my arc audio amp is lower than the speakers so while it will be slightly higher than the Urban mini box....it will finish the same once i find some 1/8" mesh aluminum to cut out the grate that i recessed today on my CNC router. More pictures to come once i get everything tidied up. Pardon the mess in the mean time

Attached Thumbnails redoing my trunk for a pair of Dayton10's...-cover.jpg   redoing my trunk for a pair of Dayton10's...-daytons.jpg  
Old 06-22-2010, 05:25 AM
chilisport
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
miniSQ -

Looks good! I've also been eying those Daytons. Please let us know how they sound once you've had a chance to break them in.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:55 PM
miniSQ
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chilisport
miniSQ -

Looks good! I've also been eying those Daytons. Please let us know how they sound once you've had a chance to break them in.
extremely early opinion here....I just hooked them up...and they are not broken in yet...and i am having some trouble getting them sealed as is to bare wood. I have cut the hole extremely close to the opening size using a CNC router..and there is a rubber gasket glues to the speaker, but it is open around the screw holes and i am definitely leaking air...but i will fix that.

So out of the box they get 2 strikes against them, albeit minor...the basket is not powdercoated...it is kind of a rough finish...might be by design..but i suspect its to save money. Thats one strike, and the ineffective gasket is another.

But overall the build quality is decent...not great...but not cheap feeling like the ID8 is...overall i would say the build quality is a plus. And the fact that is has those push doohickeys for the speaker wires to go into is awesome IMO. So once i put a better gasket on i would say these are super easy to install.

Its not really fair to talk about SQ yet, since they are brand new and leaky...but i will say that the pair of 10's will get louder than my IDQ12v3...and i predict will sound just about the same doing it. They are super tight, and even with the leaky box i did not hear any mechanical noise, but i did not pound on them until they break in and the box is sealed.

Overall not as "dry" as the IDQ12....and there might be a touch of rumble that will not make me happy...thats my one deal breaker...i want the sub to disappear when not playing...if there is a rumble i will return them for something else.

On a scale of 1-10 so far i would give them a 7.8 and once i seal them up and drive around and get them loosened up i expect an 8.8, where i would give my ID12 a 9....so that's pretty darn good i think.
EDIT: found the leak...not the speaker afterall....i had a screw hole in my baffle that once i plugged stop the gushing air...sorry...operator error. :-)

Last edited by miniSQ; 06-24-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:50 PM
miniSQ
4th Gear
OK...so after getting a chance to really listen to this speaker today, all i can say is i have no idea how to describe it or if i even like it.

It has a much warmer sound compared to the IDQ that it replaced...like as if you put a towel or something in the bass drum to tone it down a bit.

I don't think 2 of these will get as loud as the single IDQ12...but i am only throwing 350watts at both of them together...so more power would probably get them louder.

They are tight and have more impact than i expected i think, and thy blend better with the morel mids than i think the IDQ did. The IDQ was so dry and tight, that it would call attention to itself at times. The Daytons so far only draw attention to themselves with there warmth....

But it is a very intriguing sound.....and i must say i do like it. I am going to try and raise the bass boost level a tad and lower the XO point slightly to see if i can get some more snap out of them.

I have 45 daysto return them to Parts Express...and at this point i think its 50/50 i will do just that.

If i had listened to them before buying them i wold have probably passed and looked for somethign else.

But like i said in the beginning...i am just not sure if i like them or not...they have a very intriguing sound.....and i am going to try and get more out of them this weekend.