Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio My MINI's a Demo MINI for Integral Audio

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Kevin@Integral Audio
Banned
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mr. zero
Well, sign me up as #1 on the "Wait List" for the Clubbie version.
If enough folks express interest (hint, hint) I will create an official wait list. Interested folks will need to plunk down a minimal deposit (~$25) and I'll move the project to #2 priority. Pricing on the Clubbie enclosure will be a bit less, ~$875 for the complete system.

I assume that it uses up some of the spare tire well, will it still leave room for a space saver spare?
It will not use any of the spare tire well.

Originally Posted by quality_sound
Back on topic - Is the new setup passive? I'm assuming so but wanted to double check. Ballpark price range? How close are we to production.
Here's where we currently stand:
Drivers (woofer/mid/tweeter) - waiting on me to give the go-ahead for production. Production lead time is about 8 weeks.
Crossovers - design is being finalized. PCB still needs to be designed and ordered (these crossovers are completely custom, and are a huge key to the performance of the system). Then production and assembly, ~ 4 weeks.
Wiring Harness - design is still being finalized for the X9331 harness ( for standard 6 speaker vehicles), ~4-6 weeks. The X10266 harness (for HiFi/HK vehicles) requires tooling for some of the connectors. I believe we have found a solution, but no firm ETA for HiFi/HK vehicles.
Bottom line on production: 2-3 months for retail availability. I have a few folks locally who will be getting theirs much sooner (as early as ~1 month) - basically as soon as the designs are done and we can build a few.

Pricing: ~$2000, less if you already have the subwoofer system. I may run a lower intro price if I can. For the benefit of those that aren't familiar, the retail version of the speaker system this is based on is $1500 for the speakers alone, without the benefit and expense of the custom crossover ($350+, assuming you could find somebody who could do it AND you didn't have to pay for the design & custom PCB). Add the amplifier ($320), the plug-n-play wiring harness (~$125 min), and all of the mounting hardware and accessories (custom aluminum amplifier bracket, machined speaker adapter plates, and every bit of wire/screws/etc that you need for installation (another $150). Add the extra labor to try to replicate all the above and you'd be looking at $3000+ to even attempt to recreate this system. And that ignores that it just isn't possible on a one-off basis to recreate a design like this without the literally hundreds of hours of design/test/build that we've done and the engineering tools, test equipment, and expertise that we have in-house. By the time it is all said and done, we will have spent $75,000+ developing the Subwoofer and Soundstage systems for the MINI.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:30 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, 2 grand is a hell of a price. I know full well what the drivers sell for and adding in custom passives tailored specifically to the Mini and it's intricacies is no easy, or cheap task.

I know $2000 sounds like a lot of money to a lot of people but in the realm of high end car audio (and this is where this set falls) it's a drop in the bucket and worth EVERY penny. Add in the fact that it's a drop in install and it's a no-brainer. People shoudl be tripping over themselves to get this set.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:33 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Integral Audio
It will not use any of the spare tire well.
Wait, what??? It's going to sit entirely on the floor, above the spare, but under the flat load floor?

Old 08-24-2011, 06:32 PM
Kevin@Integral Audio
Banned
Wait, what??? It's going to sit entirely on the floor, above the spare, but under the flat load floor?

Wow, sorry for the long delay, somehow missed this response. That is correct, it will sit entirely on the floor, above the spare, but under the flat load floor.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, 2 grand is a hell of a price. I know full well what the drivers sell for and adding in custom passives tailored specifically to the Mini and it's intricacies is no easy, or cheap task.

I know $2000 sounds like a lot of money to a lot of people but in the realm of high end car audio (and this is where this set falls) it's a drop in the bucket and worth EVERY penny. Add in the fact that it's a drop in install and it's a no-brainer. People shoudl be tripping over themselves to get this set.

I've felt this way for a long, long time.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:09 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Wow, sorry for the long delay, somehow missed this response. That is correct, it will sit entirely on the floor, above the spare, but under the flat load floor.

That's just insane...but I like it.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:57 AM
ButterBarTheGr8
Neutral
soundstage updates

Kevin - Any updates on the soundstage kit for the R56?

It was an amplified kit correct? Where did you intend on sticking the x-overs and amp?

THANKS!!

Old 09-05-2011, 07:30 AM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be all over it! I have the subwoofer and it's amazing, but it really highlights the marginal HK.

FYI, Kevin's customer service is beyond top notch. I have the subwoofer and he must have spent 5 hours (on the weekend, no less) on the phone with me over some issues I was having.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Kevin@Integral Audio
Banned
Originally Posted by egawrangler
Kevin - Any updates on the soundstage kit for the R56?

It was an amplified kit correct? Where did you intend on sticking the x-overs and amp?

THANKS!!
Still working on the wiring harnesses and crossovers. No firm ETA yet.

You are correct, this is an amplified upgrade. Still looking at an unamplified, lower-cost upgrade, but that is further out and very hard to do well.

The crossover network will be divided into two components each for L and R. The largest component will mount in the door handle cavity. The smaller component will be inline.

The amp will mount either under the seat or in the passenger side of the boot, depending on the vehicle.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:11 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
We need a "like" button. I'd be interested in the un-amplified set. Is there any chance of a set without the crossovers altogether? I have enough channels to run actively. I coudl always get the standard set and not use the passives, but if nothing else it would save a few components from sitting in a box in my garage.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:22 PM
ButterBarTheGr8
Neutral
Still working on the wiring harnesses and crossovers. No firm ETA yet.
Awesome!!

You are correct, this is an amplified upgrade. Still looking at an unamplified, lower-cost upgrade, but that is further out and very hard to do well.

The crossover network will be divided into two components each for L and R. The largest component will mount in the door handle cavity. The smaller component will be inline.
Sounds good. If we're integrating this kit into an aftermarket HU, do you anticipate any issues? I assume you're tapping into the x9331/x10266 harness at the pillar and not the back of the stock HU, correct? If true, the BMRC-1 should be easy to install.

The amp will mount either under the seat or in the passenger side of the boot, depending on the vehicle.
And if we already have the 1101S?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME!

Old 09-05-2011, 11:51 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
If I had the funds I'd be all over that subwoofer.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:04 AM
daniel4d
1st Gear
Kevin,

I have the stock sound system in my Mini Cooper S Hardtop. If I were to purchase the A-pillar trim for the HK system, with the tweeter molding, would that be the only thing I need to install the 3-way system you are developing?

Old 09-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Kevin@Integral Audio
Banned
I'd be interested in the un-amplified set. Is there any chance of a set without the crossovers altogether? I have enough channels to run actively. I coudl always get the standard set and not use the passives, but if nothing else it would save a few components from sitting in a box in my garage.
Just to clarify, the un-amplified set that I was referring to is a completely different set of speakers that will be (if they make it out of development) designed to work with the factory amplification. Won't be anywhere close to the level of sound quality from this set. That said, quality_sound, PM me when you are ready, and I'll see if I can put together something that suits your needs. Not something we'd normally get in to, but in this case I think it would work out fine.

If we're integrating this kit into an aftermarket HU, do you anticipate any issues? I assume you're tapping into the x9331/x10266 harness at the pillar and not the back of the stock HU, correct? If true, the BMRC-1 should be easy to install.
That is correct, the T-harness will plug into the existing X9331 connector in the driver footwell. As long as you have not altered the factory signal path at or after the X9331, you should have no problems with either the aftermarket HU or the chime retention.

And if we already have the 1101S?
The existing 2 channel amp in the subwoofer system will be replaced by the 4 ch version of the same amp. It will install in the same location. There will be a kit released specifically for folks who already have the subwoofer system.

Originally Posted by daniel4d
I have the stock sound system in my Mini Cooper S Hardtop. If I were to purchase the A-pillar trim for the HK system, with the tweeter molding, would that be the only thing I need to install the 3-way system you are developing?
Actually, you don't even need that - unless something changes we will be shipping the A-pillar trim with the kits (we aren't joking when we say "everything you need").

Old 09-06-2011, 07:24 AM
daniel4d
1st Gear
Thanks for clarifying that. I am all set to buy once development is complete and kits are available!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:04 AM
micron
1st Gear
Originally Posted by daniel4d
Thanks for clarifying that. I am all set to buy once development is complete and kits are available!
I'll be counting down the days until the kit is released as well! I was thinking about buying the kit from newministuff, but I think i'll be holding out a couple of months and wait for this baby to be released

Old 09-06-2011, 09:16 AM
howie289
2nd Gear
I'd be interested in the "speakers only" solution. It certainly won't approach the full system for quality, but I'd like to simply replace all my so-called "hi-fi" system speakers with higher quality, higher efficiency drivers. I think that would satisfy my needs.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:59 AM
theunclesam
3rd Gear
Kevin,
Any idea how the 1101S kit is going to work with the speaker upgrade? I understand that the speaker kit includes a 4-channel amp that fits in the same spot as the one for the 1101S. Would we have two amps? Or is there going to be a different amp for us?

Just curious what the install would look like.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:44 PM
ButterBarTheGr8
Neutral
Originally Posted by theunclesam
Kevin,
Any idea how the 1101S kit is going to work with the speaker upgrade? I understand that the speaker kit includes a 4-channel amp that fits in the same spot as the one for the 1101S. Would we have two amps? Or is there going to be a different amp for us?

Just curious what the install would look like.
4-channel amp replaces the two channel amp. So...only one amp. Keep in mind that the 1101S kit is intended to tap the speaker lines and not use a pre-amp line out. Thus, you're safe with those four channels.

theunclesam does bring up a good issue though...what if (eventually), you would want to use the RCA inputs on the ARC amp instead of tapping the speaker lines? As in the case of an aftermarket HU? Would this totally throw off the customization of the x-overs? I'm not an audiophile, so please educate me wise Obi-Wan.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:39 AM
theunclesam
3rd Gear
4-channel amp replaces the two channel amp. So...only one amp. Keep in mind that the 1101S kit is intended to tap the speaker lines and not use a pre-amp line out. Thus, you're safe with those four channels.

theunclesam does bring up a good issue though...what if (eventually), you would want to use the RCA inputs on the ARC amp instead of tapping the speaker lines? As in the case of an aftermarket HU? Would this totally throw off the customization of the x-overs? I'm not an audiophile, so please educate me wise Obi-Wan.
I'm a little confused. I know the speaker upgrade comes with a 4-channel amp that replaces the 2-channel amp, but what's going to power the subwoofer if you have the 1101S? Is the config on the new amp going to be 2 channels up front, and just bridge the rears for the sub?

Old 09-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Kevin@Integral Audio
Banned
[QUOTE=ButterBarTheGr8;3354082]
4-channel amp replaces the two channel amp. So...only one amp.
That is correct.

Keep in mind that the 1101S kit is intended to tap the speaker lines and not use a pre-amp line out. Thus, you're safe with those four channels.
Sorry, I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. There is no "line-level" or "speaker-level" distinction between the Standard 6 spkr stereo and the HiFi in the MINI. They use the same headunit, which puts out the same voltage into either the speakers or the HiFi amp (this is what causes so many folks headaches when trying to integrate an amp - it's not a concern with our system).

There would be no effect on the crossovers, which are downstream from the amp. Keep in mind, though, that replacing the HU on the R55/6/7 is one huge PITA, and unless you manage to keep the existing HU installed all future dealer software upgrades would fail (you also lose Parking Distance Control, and chimes unless you install a chime-retention device. It is impossible if you have Nav). The vast majority of people will find that it just isn't worth it. If you did, though, one scenario would be replacing the HU using an adapter plug such as the one from Metra. It this case the signal would continue unaffected though the X9331 connector. Another scenario would be running new RCA's directly to the amplifier (there would really benefit), but it still wouldn't affect the Soundstage.

I'm a little confused. I know the speaker upgrade comes with a 4-channel amp that replaces the 2-channel amp, but what's going to power the subwoofer if you have the 1101S? Is the config on the new amp going to be 2 channels up front, and just bridge the rears for the sub?
Correct. It is effectively a 3-channel system. A channel each for the fronts,
and two channels bridged for the rears.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:35 PM
theunclesam
3rd Gear
Correct. It is effectively a 3-channel system. A channel each for the fronts,
and two channels bridged for the rears.
So you guys are going to use the Arc KS 125.4 mini right? If so, we would be looking at 250W for the front channel (125W each), and 250W for the sub, correct?

Old 09-10-2011, 06:29 AM
Kevin@Integral Audio
Banned
So you guys are going to use the Arc KS 125.4 mini right? If so, we would be looking at 250W for the front channel (125W each), and 250W for the sub, correct?
That is correct, although technically is closer to 100W for each front channel since the load presented to the amp is about 3ohms. It is pretty much irrelevant though - the difference between 100W and 125W is only 1dB, and the 100W will still be capable of driving the system to a level that will damage your hearing (please don't do that).

Old 09-11-2011, 12:13 AM
ButterBarTheGr8
Neutral
Cap

Kevin - Two questions if you've got time...

1) Do you see any need for a cap in this setup if using both the Soundstage and 1101S?

2) If we've already got the DAB tuner in the right rear wheel well, and plan on installing both the 1101S and the soundstage, then what are the mounting options for the amp?

THANKS!!

Last edited by ButterBarTheGr8; 09-11-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:32 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Just to clarify, the un-amplified set that I was referring to is a completely different set of speakers that will be (if they make it out of development) designed to work with the factory amplification. Won't be anywhere close to the level of sound quality from this set. That said, quality_sound, PM me when you are ready, and I'll see if I can put together something that suits your needs. Not something we'd normally get in to, but in this case I think it would work out fine.

Thanks Kevin. The car will be here at the end of October so we have a bit of time but I'll definitely get with you.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio My MINI's a Demo MINI for Integral Audio