Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Thanks for the help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 06:18 PM
sparky63
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help

Just wanted to say Thank You to everyone who has contributed audio system technical info and advice in this forum. It's been incredibly helpful as I've planned my stereo upgrade project. I've spent the past two weeks pouring over the various threads, amazed at the engineering and audio know-how being shared.

I have the basic stereo in my 09 MCS and like many others, I'm totally disappointed in the sound. Weak bass, flat mid-range, clipped and compressed sounding highs, no spatial dynamics ... basically a mess. Compared to the HK system in my 06 MC, it stinks!

After reading all the material here, I've made a couple of decisions. First, I'm not going to tackle it myself. It's been decades since I replaced speakers and the head in a car, plus I don't have any technically-inclined friends who are available to help. Gutting my brand new MINI is just more than I'm willing to tackle. It's funny ... earlier in my career, I was an aerospace electromechanical design engineer, and always built my own prototype hardware (multi-axis EM controllers for launch vehicle TVC systems). Now, I'm scared of replacing car speakers. No wonder they made me a manager!
Second, if I'm paying for labor, it makes sense (to me, at least) to get a package deal rather than step-by-step. One shot, get the whole thing done. So, I asked my MA for an audio shop recommendation, plus asked the MINI Club of WNY members for their recommendations, too. I talked to several shops in the Buffalo area and selected one with MINI experience, good credentials, and a senior tech who's willing to let me fully participate in the design process (it's amazing to me that some shops want to take a 'Black Box' approach ... "Just give us a couple thousand dollars and we'll take care of everything" ... No, thanks!).

Anyhow, here's what I'm planning to do:
  • replace the front speakers with JL Audio TR650-CSi components ... tweeter mounted in the 4" location
  • replace the rear speakers with JL Audio TR690-TXi 3-ways (matched to the fronts)
  • install JL Audio XD600/6 amp, either in the left rear panel or in the tool cavity in the boot
  • install JL Audio CP108TG-W1v2 PowerWedge sub in the boot (I generally don't carry stuff in the boot anyhow)
  • Expert Roadkill sound damping at the speaker locations
I listened to the TR, C2 and C5 speakers side-by-side, and I picked the TRs. The C2s were a little too bright for my ear, and the C5s sounded slightly muddy in the mid-range. The TRs were nice and warm sounding.

Again, thanks for the info and advice ... NAM members are awesome! I'll post a review and some photos this weekend after the work is complete.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for posting your plan. If I was going to move to do this, I think I would want similar components in my car. I have the convertible though and do use the boot quite often.

If you were in my shoes, using all the components you listed, except the subwoofer, would you think that the sound would still provide decent bass?

I am not an extremist in the bass category but I do like that it is well represented in the music.

Also, I agree with you, this forum is responsive and very helpful. I have relied on it quite often to make decisions.
Cheers and good luck with your upgrade! Can't wait to see the photos.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:51 PM
sparky63
1st Gear
Hi Derepente,
I was originally planning to wait on the subwoofer and someday consider either the Boss BASS600 (which is well reviewed on this forum, as you've probably read) or another smaller enclosure. I was fairly satisfied with the bass coming just from the speakers. Like you, I'm not into major thump-thump-thump, despite the fact that I'm a bass player.
However, once I heard the speakers with the JL subwoofer enclosure, I decided to include it in my project. It's amazing what a difference it makes in the overall sound, not just the lower bass range. I listen primarily to progressive rock (Yes, Kansas, Genesis on up to Dream Theater, FROST*, Porcupine Tree, and Spock's Beard). This music is very dramatic and dynamic, and the sub really made a difference in the listening room. Hopefully the difference will be just as noticeable in my MINI.

My advice to you would be go forward with the speaker upgrades and amp install. The overall sound will be improved exponentially. If there's not enough bass to suit your tastes, you could consider the BASS600, which is considerably smaller than the enclosure I'm having installed (as small as the PowerWedge is). From what I've read, some people even fit BASS600s under one of the seats. If you buy the 6 channel amp I'm using or a similar one, you'll already have enough power and extra output(s) for a sub.

Cheers to you, too.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:17 AM
TheLex
2nd Gear
Sounds like a good game plan to me. I'm also just planning out my system install. I'm really liking the Urban Mini sealed subwoofer enclosure that goes into the rear tire well. The sub will be a JL 10W3. Since my car's got the run flats, that space can be used for the sub. And while I'm not looking for rapper level "boom", I do enjoy clean tight substantial bass.

It has been suggested to me, that I go with a Rockford Fosgate 360.2 OEM interface. Speakers would be some JL C5 series or some Focals. Amplification would be a JL HD 900/5.

This may be way overkill. I'm still working on the budget LOL!

Old 04-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mike and TheLex, those are both good suggestions, thanks! I will probably tackle doing the front speakers and then later work the back speakers and amp as a separate project. It will be good to see how and where you guys actually mount the amps in both of your setups.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:21 PM
TheLex
2nd Gear
I'll be putting my amp in the Urban Mini sub box

Old 05-06-2010, 06:28 PM
sparky63
1st Gear
I had the speaker replacement and amp/subwoofer installation done last Friday, and in one word, WOW! I am totally thrilled with the results! The sound quality is even better than I had hoped.

When I arrived at the installer's to pick up my car (I had dropped it off that morning before work), the tech was still finishing up. While I was waiting, I overheard two of the audio shop's employees talking about my car. One of them said, "That MINI really sounds good". I figured if they were impressed, I was going to very happy. Sure enough, the sound is crisp and clear across the full spectrum, and the speakers will easily handle way more volume than I need, without any distortion. The little sub enclosure I bought pumps out plenty of bass; I can't imagine needing a larger subwoofer for such a small car (yeah, yeah, I know I'm an old fart who doesn't appreciate the finer points of rattling the neighbor's windows with throbbing hip hop ... sue me!).
Bottom line: I'm completely satisfied with my audio system upgrade, the component pieces I purchased, and the excellent work of the installer (Daryll's Car Audio in West Seneca, NY). I highly recommend all of these to other NAM members.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:45 PM
sparky63
1st Gear
Derepente, here are the pictures you requested:

Amp mounted in the tool cavity in the boot

Subwoofer in the boot (held in place by the netting)